Saturday, January 9, 2016

Rice Cooker Orange Butter Cake

It's been a while since I last posted. I haven't really been active in blogging due to various reasons which i have mentioned earlier in my blog if you have been following. But now that I'm back in Singapore on a short vacation and my mum has requested me to bake something for her using her old rice cooker, I thought I should at least note down this rice cooker cake recipe since the resultant cake looked quite decent and presentable. It would be a pity not to share it with folks who have no ovens at home like my mum. :)


My mum's place has barely any baking tools. We have to scramble to get the necessary stuff - a 20+ year old Moulinex mixer which surprisingly still works, a 2 dollar sieve which I bought from daiso a few years ago, a not-so-accurate manual weighing scale,  a rice cooker spoon for folding flour and a Korean silver chopsticks for testing if the cake is done.


There are no extra mixing bowls so I cant attempt chiffon cakes or cakes that require more than 1 mixing bowl. So we decided to try out a simple orange butter cake.


Ingredients
300g plain flour + 1.5 tsp baking powder, sifted together
240g  butter, softened at room temp
6 eggs at room temp
120g sugar (not sweet enough, should increase to 150g)
12 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (from 2 big oranges)
*some chopped citrus peel or grated orange zest *
*A few drops of orange essence *


Method
1. Using a cake mixer, cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.

2. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. (If using orange essence, sprinkle it at this stage)

3. Add half of the sifted flour, and mix at lowest speed using cake mixer. Then add remaining half of the flour and fold lightly using a spatula until well-incorporated. (If you find the batter too dry towards the end, you can add some orange juice after folding in each addition of flour, make sure you fold until there are no white specks, add a few tbsp orange juice before the next addition of flour. Alternating the flour with liquid during folding will make it easier if your batter is very thick.)

4. Add the orange juice and orange zest or citrus peel and fold well until no white specks.

5. Grease the rice cooker inner pot with a little butter and pour in the batter. Press COOK or BAKE. It took my mum''s Toshiba 10-cup rice cooker (no baking function ) 1 hour, i had to press cook and cancel  3x. Timing will  vary based on rice cooker type, brand, model and capacity,  hence please use your judgement accordingly. For a 5 cup or 6 cup cooker , you may wish to use 1/2 or 3/4 of the ingredients.

6. When the cake is done, remove it from the rice cooker pot and invert it onto a cake rack for cooling.

HAPPY RC BAKING!

*My family did a taste test and we all concluded that the cake though rich, soft and fluffy, was too buttery and salty (my mum only had Lurpark salted butter in her fridge) and the orange taste was not very apparent. Hence I would recommend that you add some freshly grated orange zest from organically grown oranges or some chopped citrus peel bought from baking supplies shop. This will give the cake a more orangey and tangy flavour. I would also recommend adding a few drops of orange essence although it is not compulsory. For my next bake, I would use unsalted butter (as per all my bakes in Belgium) and sprinkle a very tiny pinch of salt. If you use salted butter, there is no need to add salt, but the salty taste may overpower the orange taste.

Notes: I made a 2nd orange butter cake the next day (and a 3rd one 2 days later) and I tweaked the recipe a little. For some reason, the 2nd cake took longer at 1 h 15 min, probably bcos the rice cooker is old and the lid cannot be closed tightly. So here are the changes
- 150g of sugar instead of 120g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder + 0.5 tsp baking soda instead of 1.5 tsp baking powder. You can add baking soda whenever the cake has acidic ingredients, in this case orange juice.
- 100g of chopped citrus peel + 0.5 tsp orange essence.

IMPORTANT - If you have taken the time to read the post until this point, I would like you to know that this cake has been tested 3 times and this post has been updated to reflect the feedback from my family and the results of my testing. Please do not copy my recipe blatantly onto your Facebook or blog without giving due credit to my blog or without seeking my permission. You are however welcome to provide feedback in the comments section or email me a picture of the cake you have made following this recipe and I will gladly repost it in my blog and on my Facebook page. Thank you.

This post was typed out on a mobile phone, it took me a while and I do apologise if there are any typo errors :)

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog and thought I'd say hi. So cool to find a food blog from an Asian living in Belgium. Asian myself (Indonesian) but born and raised in Vlaanderen and according to my Flemish husband I don't cook Asian often enough ;)

    I'm sure I'll test some of your recipes knowing you use ingredients that can be found here.

    Anyway, selamat berlibur in Singapore -food paradise, lekker!- and belated Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    Groetjes,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B, i am Estee.. i have tried out this recipe and it turned out really good. Am glad that i stumbled upon your blog as i do not have an oven due to limited space in my kitchen yet i could bake yummy cakes for my family using rice cooker. Great work Miss B!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails