Friday, September 18, 2015

Cheesy Shanghai Mooncake with Lian Rong and Salted Yolk (上海芝士月饼)

It's been a while. I have been trying to get back to the momentum of baking and blogging, but the spirit is willing, the mind is weak. About a month ago, I was reminded by one of the readers who left a comment on my blog to provide the mooncake recipes that I blogged about last year. I have procrastinated for 1 whole year, luckily I could still find the recipe notes scribbled on pieces of scrap papers lying on my workdesk. The notes were rather messy, I couldn't remember any of the details. Since the mid-autumn festival is getting near, so I decided to try the 2 recipes again, to re-confirm the correctness of the quantities and temperature.

This cheesy shanghai mooncake is really nice. I did it last year with 5 nuts filling. This year I had lugged back a pack of ready-made Green Bean Paste (Lian Rong) from Singapore, and some very expensive salted egg yolks bought from a chinese supermart in Belgium (6 for 6.50 euro, it was daylight robbery!), so I decided to do the traditional green bean paste filling with salted egg yolks. 

It was finger-licking delicious, haha, kaki gong hojiak! I made 15 and I finished half of it in a single day! No wonder I can never get rid of the spare tyres round my waist!  :)

If you would like to refer to my previous post last year, pls click on this link below, the filling and weight of each portion that I made this year are slightly different from last year, other than that, the basic recipe is the same :
http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/09/shanghai-cheesy-mooncakes-with.html


Cheesy Shanghai Mooncakes in the 2 front rows, Taiwan Milky Mooncakes in the last row.


Mooncake skin recipe adapted from 鲸鱼蓝蓝小窝居

Cheesy Shanghai Mooncake (makes 15 pieces)

Ingredients
120g unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
40g sugar
2 tbsp fresh milk (at room temp)
1 tbsp corn flour (also known as cornstarch)
180g cake flour or low-protein flour
2.5 tbsp parmesan cheese  powder
pumpkin seeds for decoration

Egg wash = 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water + 1 tbsp milk (I left out the milk, using only few drops of water)

Salted Egg Yolks - you will need 3+3/4 salted duck eggs, which is 1/4 egg yolk x 15 pieces. If you like to have more, you can add 1/2 egg yolk but the filling has to be adjusted accordingly. The salted eggs have to be boiled in water for about 10 min before you can remove the yolks.


Method
1. Sift parmesan cheese powder, corn flour and cake flour together and mix well.

2. Beat butter, sugar and milk until creamy. (I used my cake mixer at low speed)

3. Add in the sifted flour mixture, combine to form a smooth dough. (I used cake mixer at low speed again, then I used my hands to form it into a smooth dough. Do not over-knead. If you find the dough too dry, you may add a little more milk.)

4. Cover the dough with plastic clingwrap and chill in the fridge (not freezer!) for 30 min.

5. Remove the dough from the fridge, weigh and divide into required portions. Cover the rest of the dough with clingwrap while you are wrapping to avoid drying out. (The dough was about 375g so I divided it into 15 pieces of 25g to 28g each)

6. Use your palm to flatten each piece of dough into a circle, making sure that the edges are thinner than the centre. Wrap in the filling plus 1/4 salted egg yolk and roll it into a smooth ball. (The dough was very easy to work with, at least at my room temp of 20C)

7. Baked on a lined baking tray in a preheated oven at 160C for 10 min.

8. After 10 min, remove from the oven. Use a baking brush to apply egg wash on top and decorate with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.

9. Return to the oven and continue to bake at 160C for 15 to 20 min or until golden brown, but not cracked. (I did not apply egg wash a second time so the colour was a bit pale)



Notes
* Do note that the oven temp for the original recipe was 180C for 30 min. In the original recipe, the dough was 45g, and the filling was 45g. In my recipe, my dough was 28g and my filling was 25g + 1/4 egg yolk per piece so I used a lower temp of 160C and it worked fine for me. I prefer a lower temp so that the pastry will not crack, and if it is not baked golden brown enough, you just need to lengthen the time.

* For the mooncake filling, I used ready-made Lian Rong / Green Bean Paste bought from Phoon Huat in Singapore. The amount used was about 25g x 15 pieces = 375g in total. The paste I bought came in a 1 kg pack, so I actually managed to use it 3 times, twice for making cheesy shanghai mooncakes, once for making taiwanese milky mooncakes

1 comment:

  1. How is this moon cake's texture? is it soft or like shortbread cookie's texture? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails