Sunday, November 9, 2014

MTR #3 - Pumpkin Kaya Jam


It's been a while. What have I been doing? Sweeping leaves off my pavement because it is now autumn. Is it already autumn? But it was 21 degrees celsius in Belgium on 2 Nov? Are you kidding? Errr, no, I am not kidding, 2 Nov 2014 was the hottest day in Belgium since 1903. It seems the weather in this world has gone haywire due to global warming. 

Now that the hottest day is gone, the weather has returned to normal since Monday, 3 Nov. It is now cold, windy and wet. When the wind blows, it can go up to a speed of 80 to 90km/h, no joke! So I finally decided to harvest my 5 butternut squashes at the back of my garden, I dun think the sun is gonna shine anymore. They are still unripe but I will give them a sun-tan as and when the sun shines, this is what I read on internet. Hopefully the sun-tanning will acelerate the ripening process. The skin has to turn yellow before I can slice them. I am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

It was a pity that I had lots of butternut squashes, but I couldn't eat any of them yet. I had to go buy a regular pumpkin from the supermart just to make my favourite pumpkin kaya jam. Slicing the pumpkin and removing the seeds was not something I enjoy doing, so I "sub-contracted" the menial task to my little boy, who took his job very very seriously. 


Recipe adapted from my previous pumpkin kaya jam recipe made in 2011.

Ingredients

500g pumpkin, steamed and mashed
300g coconut milk 
150g 180g light brown sugar (I used cassonade graeffe from Belgium)
2 tbsp custard powder
1/4 tsp 1/2 tsp salt
4 pieces of pandan leaves 

Method
1. Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds, cut it into thin slices, and steam it until cooked and softened. 

2. Use a blender to blend the steamed pumpkin into a smooth puree. Add in coconut milk, sugar, custard powder, salt and pandan leaves to the pumpkin puree. Stir and mix evenly and pour into the BM and select the JAM function. The JAM function in my BM took 1 hour 20 min to complete.  (If you do not have BM, you can use a non-stick pot to cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened, this will take any time from 15 to 30 min. Alternatively, you can use a rice cooker's congee or porridge function to do the job.)

3. When it is done, remove the pandan leaves and allow the mixture to cool, then pour it into sterilized glass jars and store in fridge.





If you wish, you can check out the pictures posted by these 2 other bloggers (Mui Mui and Shirleen Tan) who have attempted this pumpkin kaya using this recipe, just to give an idea of what the jam is supposed to look like.

Notes:
- This pumpkin kaya is quite runny, I have made it 3 times and 2 out of 3 times it turned out to be quite fluid. I think it is due to the brand of canned coconut milk that I used. So if you prefer the thick type of kaya, pls use thick coconut cream, also remember to strain the steamed pumpkin of excess moisture before blending, so that it will take lesser time to cook and thicken the kaya. Or you may wish to increase the custard powder from 2 to 3 tbsp or more so that the resulting kaya will be thicker.

- You can choose to blend the mixture before cooking or after cooking, it is up to you.

- The amount of sugar has already been reduced from 180g to 150g. The original recipe used 200g of brown sugar. I am using a special type of sugar called Cassonade Graeffe from Belgium, which is typically used to sprinkle over pancakes, but you just use normal light brown sugar.





5 comments:

  1. Miss B, glad that your 'sub-contractor' is willing to 'take any jobs' ... hee .. my 'sub-contractor' depends on her mood.
    Your pumpkin kaya looks good.
    I always replenish Nutella and peanut butter but jam and kaya is always 'slow moving' in my fridge. Will try out small quantity when those jam & kaya are cleared out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      My sub-contractor has his moods too, it just happened that he was in his good mood that day. This pumpkin kaya jam is really quite nice, once you tried it out, it will be the fastest moving item in your fridge. I have already finished 1 jar by myself within 3 days :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a BIG sharing thing going on here ! Love your pumpkin jam & all other recipes, but have yet tried it before. You made them sound so good. Must go to my list to do !
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bee,
    I miss this pumpkin kaya.
    Mine left last bit I add them into the bread dough to make a loaf of bread.
    It is very nice too.
    mui

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails