Wednesday, October 1, 2014

MTR #3 - Taste of Autumn (Fruits and Veggies Harvested in Autumn) Oct/Nov 2014

Time really flies, my 2nd blog-hop for My Treasured Recipes MTR #2 featuring Dough Starter Breads has already come to an end, without me realising! A big thank you to the bloggers who have lent their support to MTR #2. I realise that the theme may have been a little difficult especially for those who do not bake breads, so that probably explains the fewer entries :)


It is now early Autumn or Fall. It still feels like early summer in Belgium, with day-time temperature hovering around 20 to 21 degrees, but it can get really gusty cold at night, the temp this week is down to about 11 to 12 degrees, an indication that Autumn is already at our doorsteps. 



For the next 2 months, I have decided on the theme "The Taste of Autumn" for MTR #3 simply because I need to get rid of the veggies which I have harvested or am going to harvest these few weeks. Do you have any idea what are the typical fruits and veggies which are harvested in Autumn? The first 2 that pop into my mind are pumpkin and squash! Yes I am gonna have to deal with a lot of pumpkins and squashes in the coming weeks. Help me, I am gonna turning yellow from overdose of beta-carotene! What else do we have besides pumpkin and squash?  In terms of fruits, we have apple, pear, grape, cranberry, persimmon, pomegranate, fig and mandarin etc. In terms of veggies, we have a lot more. Some veggies can be seen the whole year around thanks to greenhouses, but typically the autumn veggies are broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, courgette/ zucchini, potato, sweet potato, radish, turnip etc. Not to forget the the 2 famous exports of belgium, brussels sprouts and witloof (belgian endives). For more details on autumn fruits and vegetables, you may like to refer to this link.

So that's a lot of dishes and bakes that you can make with so many different types of autumn fruits and veggies. If you are interested, do join me the next 2 months in "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn"


Here are some of the rules and conditions for this blog-hop:
1) This blog hop shall last for 2 months from 1 Oct 2014 to 30 Nov 2014. Your post must be a current post within the specified date range. You may submit more than 1 entry.

2) Pls indicate that you are submitting your post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House. Pls remember to link back, otherwise the entry will not be accepted.


3) Your recipe has to involve a fruit or vegetable typically harvested in Autumn, not limited to the ones I have listed above. Participation is very simple, just click on the "Add Your Link" button and submit through the InLinkz tool.




39 comments:

  1. Hello Miss B, I've just link up my post on pumpkin salad.Thanks for organising My Treasured Recipes #3 Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your participation, Karen! Love your pumpkin salad, it's so easy!

      Delete
    2. Hope you'll like it as much as I do ! Nice to know you thru blogging and learn some of your yummy recipes sharing to ^-^!

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B, thanks for inviting me to join this event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peng, I should thank you for participating! Thanks once again!

      Delete
  3. Hi Miss B, Thank you for your invite. Just linked up my pumpkin jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss B,
    Nice to know you. Thanks for the invitation and i just linked up my pumpkin bun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss B, Thanks for the invite. I have linked up my pumpkin bao.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss B, I just link up my posts too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecilia,
      Nice to know you, thank u very much for your support ! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Miss B, is Mulberry an autumn fruit? Just submitted Yogurt Mulberry Cake. If it's not suitable, just delete my post. You have a wonderful day and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy,
      Thank you for your submission and sorry for the late reply. I'm still trying to find an answer to your question. Nevertheless, I will not delete your post as I appreciate the effort and hard work of every blogger. Your mulberry yoghurt cake is a delicious yet healthy cake that I would keep in mind the next time I see some mulberries. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi just realize this blogger event thr Ann's blog. I hv submitted my Steamed Pumpkin Butter Cake and hope its in order. BTW may I know ' is Kai Lan' 芥 兰 an autumn veg? TQ for the wonderful blog event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      Nice to know you! I am not an expert in gardening but from what I read from internet, Kai Lan or Chinese Broccoli is a perennial plant, you can sow the seeds from April to Sept and harvest it from June to Dec. So yes, you can submit kai lan for this event. Thank you once again! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Bee, how are you? Just saw this event hosted by you and Charmaine at Kimmy's blog. I have linked up my pan-fried radish cake here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      Thanks for linking up your radish cake. That's my favourite hawker food, yummy yummy.:)

      Delete
  10. Hi Bee, I just link up mu post on sweet potato balls in ginger broth. This event made me more conscious of which type of fruits/vege are autumn harvest. Normally did not realise this as we can find this in Singapore supermarkets all year round. Thanks for this wonderful event! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bee, just linked up my Pumpkin Lemongrass Soup. Do enjoy and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi B, may I know is lemon an autumn fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bee, thanks for highlighting. I've just relinked. Think it's because I updated the title after the initial link up without realising the impact. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Yes you can, according to this article.
      http://www.harvesttotable.com/2009/02/how_to_grow_carrots/

      Delete
  15. I like your flourishing garden :) I grow chili in my container-garden as well and have enjoyed the harvest months ago. Too bad, the plant may not survive in the coming winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Miss B
    I've just linked!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Miss B, just linked another post. Have a wonderful week ahead and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Miss B,
    I've just linked a spinach tart! I hope spinach is in the link of autumn veggies!
    I'm not sure, if it's not, let me know!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooo... I love gardening ! I'll be jumping up & down too when its harvest time. Your green bell pepper looks good & fruitful.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Miss B, just linked up Strawberry Muffins. Have a wonderful day and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Replies
    1. Dun think so, you can't wait till autumn to harvest tomatoes. Anyway they are always grown inside greenhouses.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails