Saturday, October 4, 2014

MTR #3 - Rice Cooker Pumpkin Huat Kueh 电饭锅南瓜发糕

It's been a long time since I last steamed anything, and it's been even longer that I last steamed some huat kuehs. Since I had already cut open a big pumpkin yesterday, I decided to re-do my pumpkin huat kuehs using the steaming function of my rice cooker. 

I know I would have a problem using my aluminium stacked steamer on my not-so-newly-acquired vitroceramic stove. In fact, I haven't steamed a single bao ever since the last Aspiring Bakers Bao Ho-Chiak event, largely due to the fact that I changed my stove from an electric stove to a vitroceramic one. I realized that the heat emitted by this vitroceramic stove is not hot enough for me to do any decent steaming of cakes or kuehs. Sob Sob! :(
So I tried to use the steam function of my 5.5-cup Toshiba rice cooker and my 10-cup Cuckoo pressure rice cooker for this batch of 9 pumpkin huat kuehs, setting the time as 15 min for each. In the end, it turned out that the multi-cook function of my Cuckoo rice cooker (supposedly the steam function) failed terribly in steaming the huat kuehs. I think the multi-cook function is more like a slow-cook function, since after setting the time as 15 min, the huat kuehs have risen but the inside of each was not fully-cooked! My poor pumpkin huat kuehs had to be quickly dumped into Toshiba to finish off the steaming. 


The result of steaming in my Toshiba rice cooker was OK, considered so-so, can do better. The huat kuehs would have split into a bigger smile if they were in a steamer on a hot gas stove. But as long as they taste good, who cares? :p

Moral of the story: Toshiba is still better than Cuckoo for steaming, but if you use a steamer on a powerful gas stove, it's even better, your huat kuehs will sure huat!

Recipe adapted from my previous post posted 2 years ago.
http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2011/10/pumpkin-huat-kuehfa-gaofatt-koh.html


INGREDIENTS
Dough Starter
50g sifted plain flour
50g lukewarm water
1 tsp instant yeast

Batter
320g sifted plain flour
2 tsp double action baking powder
200g pumpkin, peeled, cut, steamed and mashed with fork
100ml coconut milk
50ml water
120g brown sugar/gula melaka (reduced from 140g)
1 egg

METHOD

1. Dough Starter : Mix all starter ingredients in a bowl and set aside to proof for 30 min.

2. Batter

a) Sift the dry ingredients (plain flour and double action baking powder) in a bowl. 

b) Put mashed pumpkin, coconut milk, water, brown sugar, and eggs in mixer and mix well. 

c) Remove from mixer, fold in the dry ingredients (flour and B.P.) and dough starter using a spatula until well-blended. Do not over-mix else the huat kueh will become dense.

3. Line the aluminium cups with paper liners and pour batter into cups till 90% full and set aside for 15 min to proof. (I used a pair of greased scissors to make the sign of a cross on top of the batter before steaming. )

4. Meanwhile, prepare a steamer and let the water come to boil over high heat. When the steamer is ready, put the cups into the steamer and steam over high heat for 15 min. (The batter was sufficient for 9 to 10 portions of 3 tablespoons each. I set the steaming function of the rice cooker to 15 min, my 5.5-cup Toshiba can only accomodate 4 huat kuehs each time, yet this recipe yields 9 huat kuehs, so I steamed the other 5 in my Cuckoo pressure rice cooker, but they were not fully cooked in Cuckoo at the end of 15 min and I had to steam them longer.)


Btw, the theme for My Treasured Recipes MTR #3 in Oct and Nov is Taste of Autumn. You are welcome to post any fruits and veggies harvested in Autumn from 1 Oct to 30 Nov 2014 and link to us. For more info, please refer to this link - http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/10/mtr-3-taste-of-autumn-fruits-and.html


I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

Also  linking this to Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).

 

9 comments:

  1. 哦。。。谢谢 您的邀约。太好了。咱们有机会一起分享。原来我已经miss掉了 MTR#2.
    下次再有什么好料的。可以和我报告哦。。 不然我会是模模糊糊的。 嘻嘻嘻  。。
    对了,想问一下,除了南瓜。其他秋天的蔬果料理也能对吗?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joceline,
      谢谢你的连接。 是的,只要是秋天收成的水果和蔬菜都能连接,比如苹果、梨、柿子、包菜、西兰花、番薯等等,太多了写不完。还有,你前几天post的南瓜料理或蛋糕甜品也可以连接。

      好的,下次有什么活动,一定会通知你。非常高兴大家这么踊跃支持。=)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ms B, your huat kueh looks great and how i wish I can have one for my breakfast today. Thanks for your sharing to LTU and great that we can co-host your event together, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen,
      Thanks for sharing your pumpkin ondeh-ondeh. I still have quite a few pumpkin and other autumn fruits and veggies to post, I will link the pumpkin ones to LTU, stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Hi Miss B,

    I have noticed that rice cooker and electric steamer don't make very huat cakes too. Seeing your smiling huat kueh, I reckon this recipe must the fail proof kind!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      It's true that rice cooker and electric steamers do not emit enough heat to make very nice huat kuehs. In fact my huat kuehs are not very "huat" or "smiling" either. But for folks like us living overseas who do not have gas stoves, that is probably the only way to make huat kuehs or any other steamed kuehs and cakes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss B, I've yet to attempt steam cakes with rice cooker as my rice cooker has only 1 function ... just cook rice ... hee ..hee LOL! Your Pumpkin Huat Kuehs look moist and soft and very inviting. I may try steam cakes using steamer one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bee,
    Such a lovely smiling pumpkin 'huat' kueh.
    Please pass one over for my supper ..:p
    Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
    Will have some posts coming up to support MTR#3 ;)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try this huat kuih. Yours smiled better than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails