Monday, October 13, 2014

MTR #3 - Fried Pumpkin Ham and Cheese Fritters


This is a very easy yet delicious savoury snack that I would recommend you to try if your kids do not like pumpkin. I was quite surprised at how tasty these fried pumpkin ham and cheese fritters turned out to be. The pumpkin does not need to be steamed in advance and even if it is not cooked in the inside, it doesn't matter. As long as the crust is lightly fried and crispy, they are ready to be served. 

You can serve this as an afternoon snack or as a side dish for dinner. My little girl is a very picky eater and yet she managed to eat 3 of these fritters. I am sure if she sees cooked or fried pumpkin in any other form on the table, she will not touch it at all.

So here you are, an easy Fried Pumpkin Ham and Cheese Fritters. Sorry I forgot where I got this recipe from. 


Ingredients A:
pumpkin or butternut squash : 300g (skin and seeds removed, shredded)
ham : 85g (cut into thin strips)
grated cheese : 100g 

Ingredients B:
egg : 1

Ingredients C:
self raising flour : 80g (sifted)
pepper : ¼ tsp
salt : ¼ tsp
sugar : ½ tsp

Method
1) Put Ingredients A into a bowl, mix well.
2) Add in Ingredients B, mix well.
3) Add in Ingredients C, combine well.
4) Heat non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp oil, pour in 1 tbsp of batter mixture, use medium low heat to fry both sides till fragrant and golden brown. Add 1 tbsp more of oil whenever the oil has dried up.

Note:
- If you do not have SR flour, just use plain flour with a pinch of baking powder. SR flour or plain flour with baking powder is required for the fritters to puff up during frying.
- Butternut squash instead of pumpkin can be used, in fact I used butternut squash in this case. In either case, you do not have to steam it but you must drain off the excess moisture to avoid the batter getting soggy.
- The original recipe used grated cheddar cheese, but you can use any grated cheese.

Btw, the theme for My Treasured Recipes MTR #3 in Oct and Nov is Taste of Autumn. You are welcome to post any fruits and veggies harvested in Autumn from 1 Oct to 30 Nov 2014 and link to us. For more info, please refer to this link - http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/10/mtr-3-taste-of-autumn-fruits-and.html


I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

Also  linking this to Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).



8 comments:

  1. great creation with pumpkin as the main ingredient, like it.

    thanks for link up with LTU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B, indeed these savoury Fried Pumpkin Ham and Cheese Fritters are tasty and easy to make. Think they are perfect with a can of cold beer !

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sil ever fried pumpkin fritter for us and tasted quite nice, I think with cheese N ham added sure super delicious, bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This could be an absolutely good idea to make some pumpkin fritters for the kids... they looked delicious...let me take a bite 1st.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone in my family will love this pumpkin fritter. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss B, I'll try this. Looks delicious and it's the type of snack that my kids will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss B, this is very yummy too, Great for tea or just for snacking. Thanks for sharing and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pumpkin must have sweetened these savory ham and cheese fritters! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails