Monday, October 13, 2014
MTR #3 - Fried Pumpkin Ham and Cheese Fritters
This is a very easy yet delicious savoury snack that I would recommend you to try if your kids do not like pumpkin. I was quite surprised at how tasty these fried pumpkin ham and cheese fritters turned out to be. The pumpkin does not need to be steamed in advance and even if it is not cooked in the inside, it doesn't matter. As long as the crust is lightly fried and crispy, they are ready to be served.
You can serve this as an afternoon snack or as a side dish for dinner. My little girl is a very picky eater and yet she managed to eat 3 of these fritters. I am sure if she sees cooked or fried pumpkin in any other form on the table, she will not touch it at all.
So here you are, an easy Fried Pumpkin Ham and Cheese Fritters. Sorry I forgot where I got this recipe from.
pumpkin or butternut squash : 300g (skin and seeds removed, shredded)
ham : 85g (cut into thin strips)
grated cheese : 100g
egg : 1
self raising flour : 80g (sifted)
pepper : ¼ tsp
salt : ¼ tsp
sugar : ½ tsp
1) Put Ingredients A into a bowl, mix well.
2) Add in Ingredients B, mix well.
3) Add in Ingredients C, combine well.
4) Heat non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp oil, pour in 1 tbsp of batter mixture, use medium low heat to fry both sides till fragrant and golden brown. Add 1 tbsp more of oil whenever the oil has dried up.
- If you do not have SR flour, just use plain flour with a pinch of baking powder. SR flour or plain flour with baking powder is required for the fritters to puff up during frying.
- Butternut squash instead of pumpkin can be used, in fact I used butternut squash in this case. In either case, you do not have to steam it but you must drain off the excess moisture to avoid the batter getting soggy.
- The original recipe used grated cheddar cheese, but you can use any grated cheese.
Btw, the theme for My Treasured Recipes MTR #3 in Oct and Nov is Taste of Autumn. You are welcome to post any fruits and veggies harvested in Autumn from 1 Oct to 30 Nov 2014 and link to us. For more info, please refer to this link - http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/10/mtr-3-taste-of-autumn-fruits-and.html
I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House
Also linking this to Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).