Recipe will be updated later, OK?
Edited on 17 Sept 2015
Sorry for posting the recipe 1 year late, but here it is :)
Mooncake skin recipe adapted from Butter, Flour & Me
50g unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
20g icing sugar
50g golden syrup (I used korean cooking syrup)
150g cake flour
10g milk powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 beaten egg yolk, at room temp
sesame seeds for decoration
Egg Wash - 1 beaten egg yolk at room temp, mixed with a little water
Salted Egg Yolks - I used 1/4 of egg yolk per piece
Fillings - I used canned red bean paste filling, divided into 25g per piece
1. Sift cake flour, milk powder and baking soda together and mix well.
2. Beat butter, icing sugar and golden syrup together. Add beaten egg yolk a little at a time, and beat until smooth and creamy (I used my cake mixer at low speed)
3. Add in the sifted flour mixture, combine to form a smooth dough. (I used cake mixer at low speed again, then I used my hands to form it into a smooth dough. Do not over-knead. If you find the dough too dry, you may add a little egg yolk.)
4. Cover the dough with plastic clingwrap and chill in the fridge (not freezer!) for 30 min.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge, weigh and divide into required portions. I divided it into pieces of 25 to 28g each. Cover the rest of the dough with clingwrap while you are wrapping to avoid drying out.
6. Use your palm to flatten each piece of dough into a circle, making sure that the edges are thinner than the centre. Wrap in the filling plus 1/4 salted egg yolk, and roll it into a smooth ball. (The dough was very easy to work with, at least at my room temp of 20C)
7. Baked on a lined baking tray in a preheated oven at 160C for 10 min.
8. After 10 min, remove from the oven. Use a baking brush to apply egg wash on top and decorate with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
9. Return to the oven and continue to bake at 160C for another 15 min or until golden brown, but not cracked.