Saturday, September 27, 2014

Simple Nourishing Apple Chicken Soup


This is a very simple soup that appears on my lunch menu very regularly. I make it on average once a week. It is so simple and yet so nourishing. I just throw everything into a soup pot (you can use slow cooker), boil it for a while, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until the chicken meat becomes so tender that it falls off the bones. There was once I even made a big pot with 4 big drumsticks and after slow-cooking the soup, I scooped up the tender chicken meat, drained off the water and used it to make CHICKEN FLOSS IN MY BREAD MACHINE. :)

So here is the recipe for my favourite apple chicken soup, which I have been wanting to blog about for months. :)

Recipe adapted from Wendy

Ingredients
2 big chicken thighs/drumsticks about 500g
2 big apples, peeled, cored and halved
1.5 litres of water
2 tbsp of goji / wolf berries
1 dried scallop
salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp


Method
1. Wash the chicken and drain off the water. Peel and remove the core of the apples and cut each apple into half.
2. Place the chicken and apples in a soup pot or slow cooker filled with 1.5 litres of water. (You may add goji berries, dried scallop, red dates, or dried longans to make the soup sweeter, it is up to you. I usually only add goji berries or dried scallop)
3. Let the soup come to a boil, then allow to simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until the chicken meat falls off the bones.
4. If you like to eat with noodles, just throw in some japanese somen noodles towards the end, let it boil for a few minutes and it is ready to serve.


I am submitting this apple chicken soup to Little Thumbs Up (Sept - Apples) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Doreen of my little favourite DIY and hosted by Kit of I Lost in Austen at this post.


By the way, my second blog-hop My Treasured Recipes MTR #2 featuring dough starter breads is coming to an end at the end of September. If you wanna join, do hurry! For the next 2 months Oct and Nov, the theme will be "Taste of Autumn". You are welcome to submit any dishes featuring fruits and vegetables harvested in Autumn, such as apples, pears, pumpkins, zucchinnis etc. More details will follow soon, so stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Ms B,

    I like your idea of cooking this nourishing soup and using the tender chicken to make chicken floss. I have bookmarked your recipe!!! This is one stone killing more than 2 birds :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B ,
    Wow! Love your idea of using the chicken of this nourishing soup to make chicken floss ! And you make the floss with your bread machine !!? I would really love to try that . Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with LTU . Have a nice day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would love to finish off the chicken that fell off the bones, but I had to reserve some for making chicken floss in my BM, but that was really easy too, just dump everything in and let the BM do the hard work!

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails