Friday, September 12, 2014

MTR#2 - 5 Thousand Dollar Starter Dough Recipe with Mexican Topping 五千块老式面包食谱加墨西哥馅


This is a recipe that I have intended to try for so long, after seeing it floating around in the blogosphere for the past few months, but when I finally did it, I didn't realise that it was that particular recipe that I have been waiting to attempt. You know why? Because I have so many bread recipes in my computer that sometimes I am so afraid that I would attach the wrong recipe with the wrong set of photos, since I am not able to catch up with the updating of the recipes in my blog. Time to take a much-needed break, haha!

This bread recipe is called the 5K bread recipe, 5K because it took the original owner 5 thousand renminbi to buy the recipe from someone else. If you just search for 5K or 5 Thousand Dollars Starter Dough Recipe or 五千块老式面包食谱, you would find a whole bunch of search results, so that just attests to how popular this bread recipe is. I am so glad I don't have to spend 5K on a bread recipe, I just have to sit in front of my computer and browse the free recipes available on internet, thanks to all the kind sharing of bread recipes from bread-bakers worldwide.

So this is my version of the popular 5K Starter Dough 五千块老式面包食谱. I ran out of idea on how to shape it, and I seriously do not have time to do fancy shaping so I tried to give it a twist by piping my all-time-favourite mexican topping on the round-shaped buns and left it empty on the other heart-shaped buns. 

Recipe originally from 爱和自由, makes 2 loaves
中文食谱请参考 爱和自由

Ingredients

Dough Starter
210g bread flour
90g low protein flour (I used cake flour)
24g sugar
6g instant yeast (2 tsp)
240g water

Main Dough
210g bread flour 
90g low protein flour (I used cake flour)
96g sugar
24g milk powder
1.5 tsp salt
90g eggs (1 + 1/2)
50g water
70g unsalted butter (add only when rough dough is formed)

Egg wash - using the half egg left over from the main dough, add few drops of water.


Method
1. Place all ingredients of the starter dough together in a bowl, mix well with spoon, cover and allow to ferment in a warm place for 1.5 to 2 h until the dough starter resembles honey comb structure.



2. Place all ingredients of the dough starter and main dough (except butter) together in stand-mixer with dough hook or in bread machine with dough function. Knead until it becomes a rough dough that doesn't stick to the sides, then add in room-temperature butter and continue to knead until it becomes a pliable non-sticky dough that can be stretched into membrane. (I used my new BOSCH MUM5 stand-mixer and it took me 25 min of kneading. Normally I would use my bread machine to knead for at least 40 min. This dough was very very sticky, so sticky that I was not able to knead until membrane stage without tearing the edges and I had to grease my hands and flour the tabletop generously to avoid the dough sticking to my hands and the table. Note that the timing given for kneading is just a reference.)



3. Cover with greased clingwrap and let it proof in a warm place for 60 min or until doubled in volume.



4. Punch down the dough to release gas, divide into pieces of 80g each, cover and rest for 10 min.
 
5. Shape the buns and add in fillings and proof for a 2nd time for 45 to 60 min or until doubled in volume. (The weight of my dough was 1020g, divided by 80, would yield about 12-13 buns. I placed 6 in a greased 8-inch chiffon tin and another 6 in a greased 7-inch heart shaped tin. I piped mexican topping onto the buns in the chiffon tin. The mexican topping recipe can be found HERE =>http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/06/my-treasured-recipes-1-japanese-cream.html.)


6. Apply egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25 to 30 min.
 

So what is the verdict? I find this method too time-consuming and the dough too wet and sticky to handle. I have done the same type of buns with mexican topping using Alex Goh's Japanese Cream Bread recipe 2 months ago and I found it a breeze, the texture of Alex Goh's recipe was (in my humble opinion) easier and better than this recipe. If you refer to the fotos in this Japanese Cream Bread post, you can make a comparison and see for yourself. However that being said, it doesn't mean that this recipe is not good, it just means that i do not have time for this recipe. It is good, but I do not like sticky dough. :)

(The opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own opinions, I do not wish to get into a lengthy discussion over which bread recipe is better. There are thousands of bread recipes on the internet, you would have to try them out to know which suits you the best. =) ) 


I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug/Sept 2014)" hosted by myself Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

Also linking this post to YeastSpotting


By the way, if you are new to my blog or have not visited recently, pls be informed that I am now holding a second blog-hop My Treasured Recipes MTR #2 in Aug and Sept, featuring dough starter breads. You are welcome to join in the blog-hop from now till end September. 
 

2 comments:

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails