Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug - Sept 2014)

How time flies, our very first blog-hop My Treasured Recipes #1 featuring Alex Goh recipes has come to an end on 31 July and now we are into our second blog-hop for Aug and Sept. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the bloggers who have contributed their recipes to MTR #1 and I hope they would continue to lend their support to the future blog-hops that we organize. 



So what are we gonna do for the next 2 months? Initially I wanted to feature a very famous bread book by a Taiwanese author. But because of copyrights concerns, I have decided not to feature any books in future, lest I get into any trouble with any authors or publishing firms (I genuinely intend to feature and help promote the sale of the book(s), but they may think otherwise). Instead my future blog-hops will be based on themes that I myself would like to explore in detail, themes that have not been covered by other blogs, recipes that i consider as "treasured recipes". 

Hence, after some careful thoughts, I have decided that MTR #2 will be based on Dough Starter Breads. What are Dough Starter Breads? They are breads that require a dough starter or a pre-ferment/mother dough, it can be a tangzhong/water roux dough starter (made famous by Yvonne C's 65C Tangzhong book), a gelatinised/scalded dough starter (made famous by Alex Goh), a 17 hour preferment dough (I did this before but can't remember the source), a 5C overnight dough starter, a sourdough starter, a poolish dough starter, a natural yeast dough starter, and many more.  

So if you are into making breads, whether you are a beginner or an expert, feel free to join our blog-hop and share with us your dough starter breads. 

Here are some of the rules and conditions for this blog-hop:
1) This blog hop shall last for 2 months from 3 Aug 2014 to 30 Sept 2014. Your post must be a current post within the specified date range. You may submit more than 1 entry.

2) Pls indicate that you are submitting your post to "My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug/Sept 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

3) Your bread recipe has to involve a dough starter, it can be any dough starter, not limited to the ones I have listed above. Participation is very simple, just click on the "Add Your Link" button and submit through the InLinkz tool.


For a start, I am gonna post a recipe that I have completely forgotten about. This bread was from Alex Goh's Magic Bread book and was actually done way back in July. It comes in handy now, since I have just returned from vacation and I am still busy unpacking, and haven't started my bread machine yet :)



Wholemeal Roll adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Bread


Ingredients A (Dough Starter)
80g bread flour + 55g boiling water

Method
1. Add boiling water to bread flour, mix well to form dough, then cover it with clingwrap and set aside to cool a while before placing in the fridge (not freezer) for at least 12 hours. 

Ingredients B
180g bread flour
140g wholemeal flour 
1 tsp molasses (replaced with honey)
20g sugar
8g salt
5g instant yeast

Ingredients C
190g cold water

Ingredients D
25g unsalted butter


Method
2. (After 12 hours) Mix ingredients B until well-blended. Add ingredients C and knead to form rough dough. Add in ingredients A(cut into small pieces) and knead until well-blended.

3. Add in ingredients D (cut into small pieces) and knead to form elastic dough. (I kneaded using my bread machine dough cycle, 2x20 min, total 40 min).

4. Cover with greased clingwrap and leave it in a warm place to proof for 45 min or until doubled in volume.

5. Divide the dough into required weight (40g each), mould it round by pulling and pinching the sides of the dough together so that one side is smooth and round and let the dough ball rest on the pinched side. Let it rest for 10 min.

6. Roll it flat into rectangle and roll it up like a  swiss roll. (I only did half of them as rolls, I did the other half as round buns).

7. Place into a greased pan and let it proof for another 45 min.

8. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 12 to 15 min.


I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug/Sept 2014)" hosted by myself Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (Flour) organized by Doreen from My little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #15 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours



7 comments:

  1. Hi Bee,
    Your bread looks good!!
    I am going to join you in your Treasure recipe #2
    Cheers!!

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your recipes!!! I am book marking this recipe. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, this wholemeal roll was really nice, it was soft and sweet and stayed good the next day.

      Delete
  3. Hi Miss B,
    Lovely rolls! Alex Goh's recipes are always a keeper!
    Will try to link something next month.
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Great bread recipe. Many Thanks! MAy I know also the name of the bread book by the Taiwanese author?
    Thank you
    David Chua

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      The book is 5度C冰种的美味, written by许正忠, 柯文正.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails