Thursday, August 28, 2014

MTR #2 - Tangzhong Hamburger Buns (汤种汉堡包)


This batch of hamburger buns was baked last week on 21 Aug. I better jot it down in case I lose my recipe notes, otherwise the fotos and the recipe will be covered with dust and never see daylight again, haha.

I baked these hamburger buns because my 2 older kiddies were nagging daddy to bring them to MacDonalds or Quick (local equivalent of Mac) for frietjes (belgian fries). As I am not a big fan of Mac or Quick, I decided to roll up my sleeves and make some tangzhong hamburger buns so that i could pair the buns up with nutritious fillings such as lettuce, tomato, ham and cheese. In this way, I can be assured that what goes into my kiddies' tummies are not junk food and at least has some nutritional value. So that was the motivation for spending a few hours just for 9 buns.

And the reward I got? Something priceless, because my son just asked me the other day when I am gonna make those soft and fluffy and "super lekker" hamburger buns :)


Recipe adapted from Bread Doctor by Yvonne C (65°C 汤种面包,陈郁芬著)

Ingredients A
30g egg (1/2 egg) at room temp
85g water, lukewarm
84g tangzhong starter at room temp (see step 1)

Ingredients B
210g bread flour 
56g low protein flour (cake flour/plain flour)
20g milk powder
42g fine sugar
2.75g or 0.5 tsp salt
6g or 2 tsp instant yeast

Ingredients C
22g unsalted butter softened at room temp (cut into pieces)


Method
1. Prepare the tangzhong dough in advance (click HERE for how to prepare tangzhong dough), transfer it into a clean bowl and cover it with clingwrap sticking onto the surface of the tangzhong to prevent it from drying up. Allow the tangzhong to be cooled before using. (Note that the tangzhong dough can be chilled in the fridge for 2 - 3 days until the mixture starts to turn greyish.)

2. First place the wet ingredients (Ingredients A) into the bread machine or stand-mixer with dough hook, followed by the dry ingredients (Ingredients B). Make sure that you set the salt, sugar and yeast apart, the salt and sugar should be at separate corners, dig a hole in the flour mixture and add in the yeast in the centre. Only add in the butter (Ingredient C) when a rough dough is formed. Knead until the dough can be stretched into a thin stretchable membrane with jagged edges around the holes. (I used the dough function of my BM, let it run 20 min, pressed stop and start again, another 20 min, stop/start again.)

3. 1st Proofing - Cover the dough with greased clingwrap and proof in a warm place for 40 to 45 min or until doubled in volume. (Since the weather was very cold, I left it to proof in the oven with lowest heat turned on, about 30C. Instead of heating up the oven, you can also put a bowl of boiling water at the bottom.)

4. Punch Down - On a floured table top, grease your hands to punch down the dough to release air, then divide the dough into pieces of 60g each. Shape them round, cover and rest for 10 to 15 min.

 
5.  2nd Proofing - Shape the buns round, pinch the dough so that one side is smooth, holding on to the pinched side, dip the bun lightly in a bowl of water and then in a layer of white sesame seeds. Let the buns rest on the pinched side with the sesame side facing up, cover with towel and proof for 40 min. (Since the weather was very cold, I left it to proof in the oven with lowest heat turned on, about 30C.)
 
  
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 15 min or until golden brown. (The book indicated top heat 180C and bottom heat 150C for 15 min, so I placed the buns in the middle shelf.)

I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug/Sept 2014)" hosted by myself Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (Flour) organized by Doreen from My little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #15 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

And to YeastSpotting.


By the way, if you are new to my blog or have not visited recently, pls be informed that I am now holding a second blog-hop My Treasured Recipes MTR #2 in Aug and Sept, featuring dough starter breads. You are welcome to join in the blog-hop from now till end September. More details to be found HERE.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,
    Lovely buns! I can see why your son is asking for these again!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the buns with loads of sesame seeds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bee,
    These buns looks even better than those in the bakery.
    I am going to try this out.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi miss b

    i have been following your blog for quite some time and i love the way you post pictures of your recipes especially the method and how to roll dough, they give me more detailed instructions on how to make them, especially your breads, my first bread recipe tangzhong japanese hokkaido milk bread was a success and im very happy for your blog; though i am not a blogger, i wish you the best in all you do and keep up the good work!

    i will look forward to more bread recipes on your blog, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doreen,
      Thank you very much for your encouraging comments, i'm deeply touched and humbled by your kind words. I do apologise that I have been doing breads in the bread machine instead of in the oven lately, due to lack of time. But I still very much prefer to do shaping and bake my breads in the oven, and I will try to upload fotos of step by step shaping if time permits. Thank you once again for your support!

      Delete
  5. Tried your recipe today and I'm so glad I did! Those are the perfect burger buns I was looking for for years! This recipe is definitly a keeper, thanks a lot for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails