Friday, August 22, 2014

MTR #2 - Tangzhong Ham & Cheese Loaf (汤种火腿起士土司)


I made this soft and fluffy tangzhong ham and cheese loaf last Thursday, it was such a lovely bread and I really love its texture and flavour.  Such a delicious savoury combination - grated cheese, ham and garlic sauce, I am sure you will fall in love at the first sight and after the first taste. 

I baked it just in time before my kiddies and hubby came home at 5pm. Since dinner was not yet ready, I quickly offered them the bread and it was finished in a jiffy, 5 minutes and the whole loaf was gone! It was actually quite a small loaf. OMG, I took such a long time to prepare and bake and yet it was gone in 5 min, not that I am complaining though! :)


Recipe adapted from a Taiwanese chinese baking book well-known for its Hokkaido Milk Loaf recipe - Bread Doctor by Yvonne C (65°C 汤种面包,陈郁芬著)

Ingredients A (dry ingredients)
171g bread flour
45g low protein flour *
22g fine sugar
2g or 1/3 tsp salt (1 tsp = 5.5g)
4.5g or 1.5 tsp instant yeast (1 tsp = 3g)

* I used cake flour, you can use plain flour

Ingredients B (wet ingredients)
63g water
34g egg (1/2 egg) at room temp
54g tangzhong dough at room temp

Ingredients C
11g unsalted butter at room temp.

Fillings
grated cheese for pizza (Boni Special Mix - Affligem/Gouda/Cheddar) 
ham
pepper (omitted)
 
Toppings  
grated cheese for pizza
garlic sauce (can be replaced with mayonnaise or tartar sauce)


Method
1. Prepare the tangzhong dough in advance (click HERE for how to prepare tangzhong dough), transfer it into a clean bowl and cover it with clingwrap sticking onto the surface of the tangzhong to prevent it from drying up. (Note that the tangzhong dough can be chilled in the fridge for 2 - 3 days until the mixture starts to turn greyish.)

2. First place the wet ingredients (Ingredients A) into the bread machine or stand-mixer with dough hook, followed by the dry ingredients (Ingredients B). Make sure that you set the salt, sugar and yeast apart, the salt and sugar should be at separate corners, dig a hole in the flour mixture and add in the yeast in the centre. Only add in the butter (Ingredient C) when a rough dough is formed. Knead until the dough can be stretched into a thin stretchable membrane with jagged edges around the holes. (The dough was pretty sticky, so I kneaded about 45 min. I used the dough function of my BM, let it run 20 min, pressed stop and start again, another 20 min, stop/start again, and a final 5 more min. Total 45 min.)

3. 1st Proofing - Cover the dough with greased clingwrap and proof in a warm place for 45 min or until doubled in volume. (Since the weather was very cold, I left it to proof in the oven with lowest heat turned on.)

4. Punch Down - On a generously floured table top, grease your hands to punch down the dough to release air, then cut the dough into 3 pieces of 120g each. Cover and rest for 15 min. (The weight of dough was 382g, divided by 3 = 127g per piece).

5. Shaping/Resting - Flatten and roll each piece into oval shape, add in a piece of ham and sprinkle some grated cheese on top, then roll it up like a swiss roll, and slice each roll into 2, so you will get 6 rolls. Place the 6 rolls into a greased 450g pullman tin. (The bread tin must be greased since the book has indicated to line the tin with baking paper. I made a mistake in placing the fillings. The ham and grated cheese should cover the whole length of the rolled out dough before rolling up.)


6.  2nd Proofing - Cover the rolls with greased clingwrap and proof until the tin is 70% full. (I left it to proof in the oven with lowest heat turned on and it took me about 1 hour in cold summer.)


7. Apply a layer of garlic sauce (or mayo or tartar sauce) on top of the loaf and sprinkle grated cheese generously. (Original recipe used mayo and added sliced onions and chopped spring onions which I omitted.)

8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 35 min or until golden brown. (The book indicated top heat 150C and bottom heat 180C for 35 min, so I placed the bread tin in the lower shelf such that the top would reach the middle of the oven.)


By the way, if you are new to my blog or have not visited recently, pls be informed that I am now holding a second blog-hop My Treasured Recipes MTR #2 in Aug and Sept, featuring dough starter breads. You are welcome to join in the blog-hop from now till end September. More details to be found HERE.


  

I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes #2 - Dough Starter Breads (Aug/Sept 2014)" hosted by myself Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (Flour) organized by Doreen from My little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #15 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

And to YeastSpotting.




3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I won't be leaving till I had some of this. Yummmm..... The topping making me droolllll...
    Hope you're going to have a fabulous weekend.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that looks so soft and it has ham and cheese everywhere inside too!!! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B,
    Wow, such a lovely fluffy loaf! I would be really happy too, if the loaf was gone in minutes! LOL!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails