Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hokkaido Milk Loaf (Straight Dough Method) using Bread Machine

I have made Hokkaido Milk Loaf quite a few times using the Tangzhong method but I have never tried the Straight Dough method, so I finally decided to try it last week. It is funny because I actually did the Straight Dough method for Hokkaido Wholemeal Milk Loaf before I attempted the same method for the White Loaf recipe, I call the Wholemeal Loaf the Hokkaido Wholemeal Milk Loaf that can do yoga, because it was so soft it looked as if it was doing yoga! In fact, I did 2 versions for the Wholemeal Loaf which you can see here and here


What I like about the Straight Dough method is that it is so simple, no need to prepare the Tangzhong or Water Roux in advance, just dump everything into the Bread Machine, go surf FB and wait 2 hours 50 min, tick tock tick tock. The BM will do everything for you, and the bread is just as good. Life is so simple, how I wish every bread is as easy as this, haha. Then I can just sit back, relax and read a book or watch TV. When the time is up, just open the BM and I can enjoy my bread with homemade kaya and some expresso coffee...




Here is the recipe for this Hokkaido Milk Loaf (Straight Dough Method) using Bread Machine


Ingredients for 1 small loaf
270g bread flour
30g cake flour or low-protein flour
15g milk powder (Nestle low fat milk powder)
40g fine sugar

4.5g or 3/4 tsp salt 
5g or 1+2/3 tsp instant yeast 

1/2 egg (30g)
125g fresh milk
75g whipping cream or heavy cream (can replace with plain/greek yoghurt)

** 1 tsp salt = 5.5g, 1 tsp instant yeast = 3g


Method
1. Put everything into your bread machine and press "Sweet" mode, "Light" crust, and "700g". Each BM is different so choose the options according to your BM. (My bread machine has indicated it will take 2h 50 min.  However note that you should choose "Light" crust instead of "Medium" or "Dark" since the crust turned out to be nicely brown and crispy even though I chose "Light". If you are using the same BM as mine, you are advised to press "Dough" mode to knead for 20 min or even 2x20 min before pressing "Sweet" mode, reason being the total kneading time for "Sweet" mode is only 30 min, which is not sufficient for this bread to achieve windowpane stage in my BM. Kneading the bread to windowpane stage will result in a softer, fluffier bread.

2a. If you don't like to use BM for baking, press the "Dough" function, let it run for 20 min, press stop and re-press "Dough" function again for another 20 min. Total 40 min of kneading at least, or even up to 60 min. You should knead until the dough can pass the windowpane test, which means the dough can be stretched into a thin membrane without breaking. Remove it when kneading is completed, grease your hands and shape it round, cover with greased clingwrap or damp kitchen towel and let it proof 2 times for 1 hour each or until doubled in volume. After the 1st proofing, punch down the dough to release air, shape it round, cover and proof a 2nd time for another 1 hour. Then bake in a greased bread pan or 450g pullman loaf pan and place in preheated oven at 340F / 170C for 40 min or until it turns golden brown. The bread should be placed one shelf lower than the middle shelf so that the top of the bread reaches the middle height of the oven. (Note: You may like to refer to my post on the Hokkaido Milk Loaf Tangzhong method for a detailed step by step recipe on how to shape and bake in the oven.)

2b. If you don't have a BM, you can use a stand-mixer with dough hook to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic and passes the windowpane test, about 40 min for me. Then follow the instructions as per step 2a to continue to bake in the oven.

Note that the marking on the bread was due to my cooling rack. I should not have inverted it on the cooling rack because it left such an ugly marking.

Notes:
- If you are using BM to knead, remember to scrap the sides of the BM bowl using a rubber spatula to make sure all the ingredients are nicely incorporated into the dough. Same goes for stand-mixer.

 - The milk, whipped cream and egg should be at room temperature if you are using stand-mixer. If you are using BM, it's not necessary since the BM generates sufficient heat to warm up the ingredients during kneading but I did warm up my milk (cold from the fridge) briefly in microwave just to be on safe side.

- If you are using delayed timer function in BM, make sure you set the sugar, salt and yeast apart and don't mix them together, the yeast should also be separated from the liquid ingredients with a barrier of flour because you want the yeast to stay dry until the machine starts its cycle. It doesn't matter if you are using the BM right away.

Good to know:
 bread machine baking tips from King Arthur Flour


Wanna see other hokkaido breads I have baked?
- Hokkaido Milk Loaf Tangzhong Method (2 Oct 2013)
- Hokkaido Wholemeal Milk Loaf that can do Yoga (16 May 2014)
- Hokkaido Wholemeal Milk Loaf Horlicks Version (11 June 2014)
Hokkaido Wholemeal Loaf (Tangzhong Method) using Pain de Campagne Flour (22 Sep 2014)



I am submitting this post to YeastSpotting.

Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (Flour) organized by Doreen from My little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.


This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.
- See more at: http://www.bakeforhappykids.com/#sthash.OAjui5ra.dpuf
This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.
- See more at: http://www.bakeforhappykids.com/#sthash.OAjui5ra.dpuf
This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.

16 comments:

  1. Bee, this loaf looks so soft... but I am still thinking if BM is a must... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It Is very convenient for me, just dump everything in, saves me a lot of work. I have been using my BM solely for kneading dough, it's only until recently I started exploring other functions.

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    Do you think this method is comparable with the one made with Tangzhong?

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cant really compare unless i do the tangzhong recipe using BM too. Last time when i did ithe tangzhong method, i only used BM to knead; proofing and shaping are done outside BM and baking is done in the oven. Using the BM will not give you a very fluffy bread, it is more compact as you can see in the picture. In my opinion, it is the rolling into swissroll before 2nd proofing that gives the bread its fluffiness, which the BM is not able to do since everything is automated.

      Delete
  3. I like this recipe too!!! The bread looks so soft. Book marked as well! Thanks for linking up with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee,
    I smile when you said it can do yoga. Indeed the bread is so soft.

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I am Francesca and I'm Italian. Congratulations on the blog, there are so many recipe all to copy. From now on I will follow you. if you want to see me go. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francesca,
      Thanks for following. You can also follow me on my FB,
      https://www.facebook.com/EverybodyEatsWellInFlanders?ref=hl

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    I am trying to make this using my BM but couldn't find the same "sweet" mode as your BM. (Mine is a Panasonic one). I'm trying now using "bake rapid" that has 15-20min kneading, 1hr "rise" and 35-40min baking. Is it correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi vivi,
      No it's not the correct program. You need about 40 min kneading for such sweet bread, depending on how powerful your bm is. I suggest you don't use any rapid program , use a normal program, and if the time for kneading is not enough, you can use the dough function before you start the normal white bread program.

      Delete
  7. why my bread cannot rise, i put in all the ingredient same like urs...but why cannot rise? Is it not enough yeast? my Bm is same like urs...is it my bread flour not suitable? my bread flour is unbleach type. what kind of bread flour u use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla,
      It's likely that either your yeast is not active or has expired, or you have mixed the yeast with salt, thereby killing the yeast before the dough can rise...you are advised to put salt and sugar at separate corners, dig a hole in the centre of the flour and put the yeast there, avoid letting the yeast touch the salt at all times.

      Delete
    2. Can I omit the salt to prevent killing the yeast?

      Delete
    3. No, you shouldn't omit salt. As long as you don't leave salt and yeast together for long time without kneading, it should be ok. Salt is necessary for the flavour of the bread,, otherwise the bread is too bland. Salt also helps to regulate fermentation. If there is no salt, your dough will rise too much and that's not a good thing either. Another reason that salt is necessary is for a nice crust to form, if I remember correctly. Too much salt or too little / no salt at all, are both not good for the dough, you have to strike a good balance.

      Delete
  8. Tried and tested...Very soft and moist indeed...

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails