If you notice, I have been using egg separation method to bake all my butter cakes recently, I find that the result is always very good, the texture of the cake is soft and fluffy and not greasy. I really like this orange butter cake, just as much as I like my banana butter cake (baked a few weeks ago). Unfortunately I did not have a chance to eat more than a piece of this orange butter cake, because all my cakes were snapped up by the guests within 2 hours. :)
So here is the recipe with step by step pictures, I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do.
200g unsalted butter at room temp
150g caster sugar
4 medium-sized egg yolks at room temp
200g plain flour, sifted (I used cake flour)1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
grated zest of 1 orange
5 tbsp or 60 ml orange juice (from packet)
4 medium-sized egg whites at room temp
50g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Prepare a 8-inch round pan, line the base and sides with baking paper such that the edges hang over the sides of the tin, for easier removal later. I did not grease the base or the sides. You can also use a 7-inch square pan.
2) You need to have at least 3 bowls, 1 for egg whites, 1 for egg yolks and 1 for sifted flour. Whisk butter and 150g sugar using mixer till pale then add egg yolks one by one and mix well after each addition.
3) This step requires you to alternate the flour and orange juice into the egg yolk mixture, always start and end with flour.
- Add in 1/3 of sifted flour and mix briefly using mixer at low speed.
- Add in 1/2 of orange juice and mix for few seconds.
- Add in 2nd addition of flour + grated orange zest and mix for few seconds.
- Add in remaining 1/2 of orange juice and mix for few seconds.
- Finally add in last addition of flour and mix till just incorporate, do not over-mix.
6) Pour the batter into the prepared lined tin, smooth out the batter with a spatula and bake in preheated oven for 170C for about 60 min. (I lowered to 160C after 20 min because I saw bubbles forming on the cake.)
7) Remove from oven and let it cool on cooling rack before serving.