Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How to Make Chicken Floss Using Bread Machine



This is the chicken floss that I made using bread machine last Friday, following a recipe shared by a lady from a FB group. This recipe is really simple and fuss-free, there is no human intervention required, what's more, it really tastes and looks exactly like the real meat floss from the famous Mei Zhen Xiang 美珍香, no kidding! I was still worrying about what to do since the meat floss we brought back from Singapore was nearly finished, I was really frugal in eating the meat floss as it was so precious, I would only spoon out a little to put into my boy's porridge each time and I had to tell him repeatedly that this small packet has to be stretched a long way, since we have to wait another year before we can replenish our supplies from Singapore. So you can imagine my joy when this recipe just "dropped from the sky", and solved my problem. Haha, so happy that I know how to make chicken floss myself =D

So what I did was, I made some apple chicken soup for lunch, threw in 4 big chicken thighs, and after simmering for 2 hours, the chicken meat were so soft that they fell from the bones, then I drank the soup and reserved the chicken meat for making chicken floss. 

[Before you try this recipe, you are advised to adjust the seasoning to taste! Pls note that I cannot be held responsible if your floss turns out to be too sweet, too salty, too dark, or too flaky. After all, this is a blog that documents my baking adventures, so the things I made are made according to my taste, not according to your taste :) ]


Recipe shared by Hui Ping Yi Yin, original recipe by Siew Moy Wong


Ingredients for original recipe 
400g pork, boiled and shredded, and drained well of liquid
3.5 tbsp fish sauce
7 tbsp fine sugar
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
3 tbsp water

Ingredients for my adjusted recipe
300g chicken, boiled and shredded, and drained well of liquid
2.5 tbsp fish sauce 
5 tbsp fine sugar
1.5 tbsp dark soya sauce (runny type, not the thick sticky type)
2.25 tbsp water


Method
1. Place the deboned meat into a ziploc bag and press it flat. Add in all the seasonings into ziploc bag and mix well.



2. Add in the seasoned meat into the bread machine. Select Jam function (number 9, takes 1 hr 20 min per cycle) and do it 2 times/cycles, a total of 2 hrs 40 min. Note that for my BM, the jam function starts stirring continuosly 15 min after start and until 20 min before end, which means it stirred continuously for 45 min per cycle and 90 min in total.




See this is the finished product, my "BAHOO" done in a bread machine. Does it look like those sold in shops selling bak kwa? I think it does!



I had some chicken floss with the tiger bread we bought from the bakery, hmm simply delicious! 

Btw, I have a small announcement to make. The blog-hop event "My Treasured Recipes #1" featuring Alex Goh recipes is coming to an end at the end of July. After some consideration, I have decided not to do a blog-hop based on books, for fear of copyright infringements. My next blog-hop My Treasured Recipes #2 will be DOUGH STARTER BREADS. You are free to blog and join us if you have baked any breads using a dough starter, starting from 3 Aug to 31 Sep. :)


See also: 
Homemade Fish Floss using Canned Mackeral Fillet done in Dec 2014.
Simple Nourishing Apple Chicken Soup

30 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you can make chicken floss in the bread maker? Awesome! They looks so crispy and yes, looks exactly like the store bought one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey veronica,
      You can even do it using rice cooker if you don't have BM. A baking friend I know just posted on FB a recipe of meat floss done in her rice cooker :)

      Delete
    2. Hi there, just curious hw she make the chicken floss in the rice cooker. Can share the method?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! This is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 尊敬的博主,您好

    我们发现您的博客里有特别多美味食谱,我们想把您的博客推荐到我们的网站 www.mytaste.sg。

    我们的网址每天的浏览量有数万人次,并且已经有很多个食谱博客和网站。此外,我们 创建了博客排行榜,那里已经有几百个博主的加入了。我们在我们的网站上推荐了您的博客,用户就能通过我们浏览器找到您的博客。另外,费用问题您完全不用担心,因为我们是一个完全免费的网站。

    将您的博客添加到食谱博客排行榜,自动发表您的食谱在我们的网站。请按照以下步骤操作:
    www.mytaste.sg/jiarubokepaihangbang

    目前我们已经在瑞典、英国、美国、法国等国家有了推广。您想加入我们吗?我们静候佳音。

    诚挚的问候
    --
    王龙 (Oriol)
    Mytaste Site Manager

    URL:www.mytaste.sg
    mail: info@mytaste.sg
    FB: www.facebook.com/mytastesg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This recipe is amazing! I'm so going to try this recipe with my bread machine . Thanks for sharing ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss B, thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. I have tried a few times, first attempt turned out perfectly but the rest were failure, can't figure out what happen?? Would be glad if you could advise. I am interested on the rice cooker method as well, can share the recipe?? Sorry for asking too much. Thanks again !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carris,
      What is the difference between your first attempt and the rest of your attempts? Without providing more information other than the fact they failed, I really cannot figure out what happened and help you troubleshoot. What I do know is, you have to drain the boiled chicken completely and try to shred them in pieces before putting in BM. As for the rice cooker recipe, I have not personally done it, it was done by a friend. Just put the chicken (drained and shredded) into the rice cooker, press COOK button and every now and then open it to stir and check. You may have to press COOK several times, depending on your rice cooker.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for your speedy reply, Miss B. The failed attempts were dry and hard, tried to adjust the water content but did not help much. I reduce the sugar as well, does this affect the texture too?? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have over-cooked it. It is not necessary to run till the end of 2nd cycle. You have to use your judgement and decide when to stop. Also the quality of your meat is very important. Are you using chicken or pork? You should use meat that has been cooked a long time in soup, so that it falls off the bones, and you need to drain off the liquid first before you add any seasonings. If the meat is not shredded, you need to tear it apart and shred it a little before putting into the BM. That's all I can think of. Wish you success in your next attempt.

      Delete
  7. It's teaspoon or table spoon? it's too salty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just double checked the original recipe, everything is in tablespoon, so there is no typo. And I renember making it in tbsp, its not very salty, just nice. But it also depends on the brand of fish sauce you use. Anyway you should adjust the recipe to taste, afterall sweetness and saltiness is according to personal taste.

      Delete
  8. I tried the recipe but I think the dark soya sauce should be teaspoon instead of tablespoon because my floss came out very dark and not golden like your pics. Its taste great but just not the right color. I actually mixed all the ingredients in a bowl and add to the shredded meat mixing well before putting it in the bread maker. I think the next time I'll add the dark soya sauce last so that I can adjust the color. I'm in Malaysia and our dark soya sauce is very thick and black. I also cooked the meat in my pressure cooker for 30 minutes and it was soft and easy to shred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ,
      I actually got this recipe from a Malaysian lady on fb. I dunno what kind of dark soda sauce that she used, but I'm just following her recipe exactly, in tablespoon. As you already said, the dark soya sauce that you used was the dark sticky type, which was not what I used. What I bought over here in Europe, was Amoy brand, a very clear dark soya sauce which is not sticky at all.

      Delete
    2. Hi Barb,

      I used light soy sauce and no adding water. Perfect balance.
      I only did one cycle and turned out lighter color but nice and dry. So i think if you want to have a nicer darker color as Miss B's chicken floss, you need to stand by to your machine to keep an eye on the consistency. Otherwise it will be burnt if you have the full 2nd cycle without checking (like mine on my first attempt lol)

      -jc

      Delete
  9. My chicken floss turned out well using your recipe. I stopped at 15 mins earlier before the 2nd cycle ends. Can try Lee Kum Kee dark soy, it's runny type

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,
      Thanks a lot for your feedback, I am glad it turns out well for you. Goes to show that there is no typo error in my recipe. :)

      Delete
  10. I also want to try it but unlucky my BM dont have jam section :( so sad~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi littleskyme,
      I just replied Angie below on how to use the Bake and Dough function to simulate the Jam function of your BM. You may wanna give it a try.

      Delete
  11. I used Oster BM, which only have 9 section like this photo http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81txBxNiS3L._SL1500_.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    My Bread Maker oven doesn't have the jam function but i have a pressure cooker. I saw Barb E's comment that he used pressure cooker to make chicken floss. I am interested in the pressure cooker method, can someone please share the recipe. thank you

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie
      After reading the comments by Barb E, i believe she only used the pressure cooker to boil the meat, not to make the floss. However i think you can give the pressure cooker a try, just treat it like a wok. There is no fixed timing if you use a pressure cooker or rice cooker, the timing and heat all depends on the brand of your appliance. You can use the same ingredients, maybe just add a little sesame oil in case it sticks to your pressure cooker. The key point is you have to mix and toss it frequently, and switch off the power if it gets too hot and let it cook in the remaining heat. At the end of it, if the texture is not fine enough, you may use food processor to pulse it. This is not necessary if you are using jam function of bm.
      FYi, just read on fb that someone has used a wok to fry it, she used low-medium heat and it took her 2 hours. She had to use a food processor at the end to make it finer in texture. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. If your bm doesn't have the jam function, I have another suggestion, a crazy idea but it's worth trying. I have not tried this before, but the idea is based on the simulation of the jam function of a BM.
      First you have to wrap your bm pot with aluminium foil, the shiny side facing inwards, be careful not to let it touch the heating element of the bm. This will lower the heat of the Bake function so that it becomes more gentle, since the heat of the Jam function is not as intense. Then you put the marinated meat inside the pot and press Bake function, let it run for about 10 to 15 min and when it gets too hot, switch it off. You may use a wooden spoon to stir and toss the meat every now and then. Next, press the Dough function to simulate the mixing of the Jam function. Stop it when the mixing gets too fast (in the beginning it should be very slow then It will increase in speed), otherwise the floss will get too fine and powdery. Note that the mixing of the Jam function is at slow constant speed and is with heat, however the kneading in the Dough functioning is at increasing speed and without heat. Then press the Bake function again, stopping it when it gets too hot after 10 to 15 min, and manually stirring in between. Repeat and do this a few times, until it resembles meat floss texture. If the floss is cooked but the texture is not fine enough, you can always dump it ina food processor to pulse it slightly.

      Delete
  13. Hi, is 125g meat too little to make? I used what was left over in my soup & I find that the meat get stuck inside my Kenwood BM. I have to use a spoon to stir in. Hopefully it will work! And talking about sat soya sauce, mine was very dark as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dissllu,

      My first attempt was using 194gr of chicken (That was the leftover I had in my fridge at that time too) and it was too little. I also had to use spoon to stir in.

      I used light soy sauce from kikkoman and no adding water. For that little amount of chicken, the result was sweeter than my liking, but color looked nice and golden for the 1st cycle.

      -jc

      Delete
  14. Thks for the great recipe...can i replace fish sauce with soy sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi , how long can the meat floss be kept ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it dry enough, it can keep for 2 weeks at least. But the kids usually finish it within 3 days.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails