Saturday, July 19, 2014

Banana Tangmian Chiffon Cake (香蕉烫面戚风)


I hope I will be in time to submit this last chiffon cake I did for the Bake-Along Chiffon theme. Initially I have bookmaked a chocolate tangmian chiffon cake to try out, but because my bananas were so ripe and dotted with dark spots that I thought I better get rid of them by making a banana chiffon cake.

So I googled for a banana tangmian/scalded dough chiffon cake and came across this recipe here, I made some changes to the ingredients and method of preparation and I was very happy that it turned out pretty well, nice and tall because I used 5 eggs instead of the usual 4 eggs I used for muy 8 inch chiffon tin. =)

I better quickly post this cake before the link ends, and then I would have to return  to finishing off my backlogs, 6 other recipes from the 8 cakes I baked for last week's party. :)

By the way, this banana chiffon cake was so soft and moist and fluffy, that I finished half the cake by myself within the first hour. A highly recommended recipe which I will try again and again. :)



Recipe adapted from Jottings of Life and Nasi Lemak Lover.

Ingredients
5 egg yolks @room temp
20g fine sugar
20ml fresh milk
50g unsalted butter
80g ripe bananas, mashed with fork
100g self-raising flour, sifted

5 egg whites, @room temp
70g fine sugar
1 tbsp corn flour


Method
1. Whisk egg yolks and 20g sugar until pale and creamy, about 3 to 4 min. No need to whisk until ribbon stage.

2. Add butter and milk in a pot over medium heat and stir until completely melted.

3. Add egg yolks and mashed banana into the pot and mix well, then remove from heat.

4. Sift in SR flour and whisk gently with balloon whisk until just incorporated. Do not over-mix.

5. Whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in 70g fine sugar and whisk till soft peak. Then add 1 tbsp corn flour and whisk for a few more seconds. No need to whisk till stiff peaks, just soft peaks will do for this cake.

6. Pour the batter into a 8-inch/20-cm chiffon tin. Bang the chiffon tin on the table top to get rid of big air bubbles. Then use a chopstick to run through the batter 2 rounds to further get rid of air bubbles and to smoothen the batter. Finally use a spatula to gently smoothen the surface of the batter. 

7. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 45 to 50 min.

8. When cake is ready, test with toothpick to see if it comes out clean. Then remove the tin from oven and tap it lightly on table top so that the chiffon cake will be "shocked" and will not shrink further. Immediately invert on cooling rack. 

9. When cake is cooled, unmould it either using your hands or using a serrated knife to loosen the sides and base of the chiffon tin.





I am submitting this post to Bake-Along #64 - Chiffon Cakes, hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Lena of Frozen Wings.

3 comments:

  1. thanks miss b for all of your submission. Yes, the link will be closed in about 30 mins as i'm writing now. Good that you are now comfortable making chiffon cakes using this tangmian method and banana is a wonderful flavour too! happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    Glad that you made it for all your chiffon cake submission. Bravo!!!!

    Another delicious chiffon cake, you have here!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B,
    Another fabulous chiffon cake from you! It looks wonderful and I love how all your chiffon cake looks, smooth and fluffy.
    Thank you for linking all your wonderful chiffon cakes!
    Hope you have a delicious week!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails