Monday, June 23, 2014

RCC #18 - Rice Cooker Cheddar Cheese Cake (Alex Goh Recipe)


This recipe came about when I chanced upon a steamed cheese cupcake recipe in a FB group. The foto of the cupcakes looked lovely, but as I read further, I was surprised to see that the poster of that particular recipe indicated beating of egg yolks with sugar for 30 min and the steaming also for 30 min! The recipe was ambiguous and did not indicate whether you need to beat egg yolks by hand or using cake-mixer and to what stage. So that piqued my curiousity and I decided to investigate further. I googled and realised that the cupcake recipe was very similar, in fact almost identical to a steamed cheddar cheese cake recipe posted earlier by Peng's Kitchen and AngelCookBakeLove. In fact the entry by Peng's Kitchen has actually been submitted to my AB #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes event. How could I have missed it? 

Since I am hosting Alex Goh's bloghop event these 2 months in June and July, this is a good opportunity for me to test out this cake. And what better way to do it than as a rice cooker cake? :D



I did this in a hurry while my baby daughter was fast asleep, so everything was rushed from start to end, so that I could finish everything before she woke up. This must be my ugliest rice cooker cake. I thought I have to line the pot with baking paper since this is a cheese cake, but turned out that my worries were unfounded and the cake surface became so ugly. However this cake is soft and crumbly, tastes like a steamed egg cake (kueh neng ko) without the eggy taste but with a very mild cheddar cheese flavour. It is not oily at all bcos there is not much butter inside but it does taste very much like a crumbly, moist, savoury butter cake. It does not taste like a japanese cotton cheese cake at all. The cake texture is very similar to my Japanese Kasutera Cake which also required the egg yolks to be beaten till ribbon stage.


Recipe adapted from Alex Goh’s Magic Steamed Cake, reference AngelCookBakeLove and Peng’s Kitchen


Ingredients (A)
3 large eggs at room temp
100 g sugar 

Ingredients (B)
4 slices sliced cheddar cheese cut into pieces (total 80g)
125 g milk
80 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces 

Ingredients (C)
220 g plain flour (I used patisserie flour, you can use cake flour if you like) 
1 tbsp double action baking powder 

Method
1) Cook (B) over double boiler until the butter and cheese are melted. You can melt in microwave too, do it 15 sec at a time on high heat. Allow the butter-cheese mixture to cool down.


2) Whip (A) until sugar dissolves and the batter becomes cream-white and thickened. I beat using handheld mixer for 7 to 8 min on high, until the egg yolk batter reaches ribbon stage, i.e. the batter drops and forms a ribbon before disappearing again. You should not have to beat the egg yolk batter beyond 10 min if you are using handheld or stand-mixer such as KA or Kenwood.


3) Add (A) into (B), and mix with hand-whisk or spatula until well-combined.



4) Fold in sieved (C) in a few additions, fold in gently but thoroughly using a spatula or hand-whisk after each addition. The batter is quite thick, you have to make sure specks of flour are fully incorporated, yet do not deflate the batter too much. Otherwise you will find tiny specks of flour in the cake like what happened to me bcos I was too careful not to deflate the batter and I thought I have folded in thoroughly.



5) Pour into a greased rice cooker pot. Use a chopstick to quickly run through the batter to remove any big bubbles and bang the rice cooker pot on a kitchen towel on tabletop a few times to release any big air bubbles. 

6) Press COOK and allow to cook for 40 to 45 min. My cooker is Toshiba 5.5 cup fuzzy logic without baking function. Since the original recipe says to steam in a 8 inch greased cake tin, I always add 10 to 15 min to steaming time in steamer in order to estimate the time taken for my 5.5 cup rice cooker. But if yours is 8 cup or 10 cup, the time taken will be shorter if you don’t adjust the amount of ingredients, maybe about 30 to 40 min or so. However for 8 cups or 10 cups cooker, you may wish to increase the ingredients by 50% to achieve a taller cake, then you need to adjust the time accordingly. I always press cook until the cycle when I can smell the cake aroma, then I know roughly when to stop. Another gauge is to look at the max height reached by your cake batter and compare with the timing of previous rice cooker cake recipes.




Extra Notes:
- The texture is like RCC #7 japanese kasutera cake, it is crumbly in texture. RCC #7 also used the same method of beating egg yolks until ribbon stage.
- The cake is savoury due to the cheddar cheese, so don’t use salted butter or add any salt.
- This cake is just like steamed egg cake (kueh neng ko) without the eggy taste, but with a mild cheddar cheese flavour. The taste and structure is NOT like japanese cotton cheese cake at all.
- You can steam this in a 8 inch cake pan as per orginal recipe, timing is 30 min over medium high heat. You can steam these as cupcakes also. Estimated timing is 15 to 20 min for small cupcakes or 20 to 25 min for big cupcakes.
- The cheddar cheese I used is the Laughing Cow brand, you can use any good brand that you like, 4 slices is 80g, they come in pack of 10 slices, total 200g
- I lined the pot with baking paper as I was afraid it would not come out easily. This worry was unfounded and it caused the surface of my cake to be really ugly. So there is no need to line the bottom of the pot, just greasing the bottom and sides will do.
- The actual cake could have been even taller but I spooned out 6 heaped tbsp of batter to make steamed cupcakes in steamer. The cake actually was dome-shaped, it ballooned very much while in the cooker, but the balloon lost its air and the surface became flat when I opened the cooker. Luckily it did not shrink or collapse.

Reference Links:
http://pengskitchen.blogspot.be/2012/11/steamed-cheddar-cheese-cake.html
http://angelcookbakelove.blogspot.be/2012/06/steamed-cheddar-cheesecake.html
http://homemademeals4children.blogspot.be/2013/11/steam-cheddar-cheese-cake-by-suzanne-eng.html

How to beat egg yolks with sugar until ribbon stage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhVKmK8e0g&app=desktop

Eggs - Beating Techniques for Whole Eggs and Yolks
http://baking911.com/quick-guide/how-to-az/eggs-beating-techniques-whole-eggs-and-yolks



I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.



2 comments:

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails