Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Treasured Recipes Kickstart - Featuring Alex Goh (June / July 2014)

I have a lot of baking and cooking books at home. Well, actually not a lot, since I stopped buying them 2 years ago. I realised then that there was no point in buying more books if I didn't even take a glance at the recipe books which I specially bought in Singapore and painstakingly lugged back to Belgium. It is with this reason in mind that I decided to start featuring the recipes from the books which I own. This is to kind of force myself to try out more recipes from my books rather than from the internet. I shall call this "My Treasured Recipes", and I hope to feature a few of my favorite books/authors in the next few months.



One of my favourite authors is Alex Goh  from Malaysia. He is a famous baker and author of several best-selling recipe books in Singapore and Malaysia. I own in total 3 books from Alex Goh, "Baking Code", "Magic Bread" and "Joy of Making Cookies", all of which were bought in Popular bookstore in Singapore. I would strongly recommend you to buy his books if you are serious in taking up baking as a hobby. I learnt how to make sweet bread dough using his book, and I have not looked back ever since. It is such a wonderful recipe. Some of his books are already out of print and are pretty difficult to find, but I do hope to get my hands on them so as to expand my recipe library. The problem is, do I have enough room in my luggage during my next trip, haha.

Do you own any books from Alex Goh? Have you tried out any of his recipes? Which of his books do you like best? Which of his recipe(s) would you recommend?

For a start, I am gonna start a blog hop on Alex Goh's breads, cakes and cookies this June and July. Do you wanna join me? It is very easy, just bake something out of one of his books and submit it via the inlinkz linky code listed below. 


Here are some of the rules and conditions for this blog-hop:
1) This blog hop shall last for 2 months from 4 June 2014 to 31 July 2014. Your post must be a current post within the specified date range. You may submit more than 1 entry.

2) Pls indicate that you are submitting your post to "My Treasured Recipes #1 - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

3) You have to blog about it, and you have to indicate which book the recipe is taken from. If you got your recipe from another blog, kindly indicate the blog link, in addition to the book reference. You are allowed to blog any recipe from any of his books, not just the 3 books indicated above.

4) To respect the author's intellectual property rights, and to avoid unnecessary infringement or violations of IP rights, we would prefer that you do not reveal the whole recipe in your submission. As far as possible, we would like readers to purchase his books to try out the recipes themselves instead of scouring the internet for his recipes and bypassing the purchase. You are encouraged to just list down the ingredients and not the ENTIRE method of doing. Do not copy and paste the entire recipe word-for-word from the book! You may however illustrate your post with pictures of how the bread /cakes /cookies are made, or re-write the method briefly in your own words. We understand that some of you maybe linking to multiple blog-hops, hence we will not strictly enforce this rule, but we hope that all of us can play a part in respecting the author's intellectual property rights and support his books as far as possible.


5) Pls give a verdict on the recipe which you have tried and tell us what you feel about it.


I look forward to your participation in our MTR #1 Alex Goh blog-hop and hope to see your submission soon! The next blog-hop MTR #2 will be DOUGH STARTER BREADS. You are free to blog and join us if you have baked any breads using a dough starter, starting from 3 Aug to 31 Sept 2014. :)


20 comments:

  1. Oh..... I do love his recipe. i tried the walnut bread again on sunday and damn I really love the feeling of the bread texture ( have been doing straight method for past month, me lazy :) )

    too bad I dont have any blog :)

    Wish all have fun in this blog hop :) I will surely hop on each one to view the nice bread making.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,
      Are you the Wendy who often bakes the Alex Goh bread? If yes, do drop me an email with your email address, I often wanna email you some bread recipes to try but I dun have your contact.

      Delete
    2. Hi
      Not really often. Just I prefer his method because i still yet to get hold of the other :)

      I will pm you via facebook later.
      Wendy

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    Thanks for organizing this event :D I have baked something from a Alex Goh's book for LTU this month. Will link with you next week as I have to a pie for bake-along today :D

    Cheers!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      Thanks! I will do a chicken pie too for bake-along if I can squeeze in the time, its's been a while since I last joined. :)

      Delete
  3. I finally have a blog already and will be able to try out a recipe and write a post about it! Wooohhhooooo! I'm so excited!
    (Bakes Huda from FB)

    Heehee..����✌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bakes Huda,
      Waves!!! Hope to see your entry soon! :D

      Delete
  4. Would love to join this blog-hop but I do not own any of Alex Goh's recipe book. Won't be getting any recipe book in the near future as I already own almost 100 recipe books and many of them are still in shrinkwrapped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      Wow, 100 is a lot! Btw, Alex Goh has quite a number of recipes on internet, but of course we would like to encourage people to buy his books lah :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Bee,
    Glad that you take the trouble to organized this event. I have all 3 books of Alex Goh that is shown here. I love his recipes too. Will link up 1-2 recipes soon.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui,
      Thanks, awaiting for your link-up, dun be too late ok ? :D

      Delete
  6. I just bought 2 of his books yesterday! I will join this blog hop if what I bake is edible & presentable. First-timer here. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce,
      Which 2 books did you buy? I heard his Fabulous Cake Business book is great, I'm probably gonna buy that book on my next trip.

      Delete
    2. These two old books: 烫出面包香 (Magic Bread) & Creative Making of Cakes. Bought online from http://www.mphonline.com/

      Delete
  7. Hi Miss B,
    I've just linked one of his delicious pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miss B,
    I've just lined a doughnut post! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Miss B,
    I'm sharing one of his lovely bread today!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joyce. You have always been so supportive! Your celery bread looks great!

      Delete
  10. Hi... may I know which Popular bookstore did u get the books from? I tried a few stores but they do not have it. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very long ago, can't remember which one, either the one in IMM or JE mrt. Check kinokunya. Btw, pls leave a name behind in future.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails