Saturday, June 14, 2014

[My Treasured Recipes #1] - Vegetable Quiche by Alex Goh (蔬菜芝士派)


I dunno whether I am gonna make the deadline....

I made 2 pies this evening. One was a Vegetable Quiche and the other was a Potato Cheese and Ham Pie. I was so tired (and angry) after making these 2 pies that I decided maybe I should just go to sleep, and edit the fotos and do the write-up tomorrow, I should still be in time to hop on the bandwagon for the savoury pies event for Bake-Along.

That was until I read Nasifriet's post where she said, only 9 hours left. That was 3 hours ago...



Why was I tired? Because I am a full-time housewife with 3 small kids. No holidays, no pay, no free time whatsoever. As and when I am free, I like to bake to de-stress. But when my bakes are NOT up to the standards of my kids and/or my other half, they either go to my tummy or they go to the chickens for their tea-party. Which explains why I have a dikke buik (fat tummy), not that my bakes are not good, just that my kids are super picky eaters, so is my other half.

So today, my 2 older kiddies (again) refused to eat the vegetable quiche which came out fresh from the oven and served to them directly, while the Mini Potato Cheese and Ham Pies were still baking in the oven. Hubby unilaterally decided that they should all go to frietkot to settle their dinner, because the kids wouldn't eat a single thing. That was just an excuse, I was sure that wasn't the kids' idea. I blew my top but they still went. Okay, so be it.....while I continued to toil on in the kitchen. The mini pies were still not out yet, they could have waited and give my pies a second chance. Oh well, they couldn't wait, they didn't even ask me if I was hungry. No, mummy is never important to them. Meanwhile my baby started crying, she was hungry and I had to feed her first before I feed myself. She was the only one who stuck to me through thick and thin, I really couldn't be bothered with the rest.

I have to tell you that these 2 pies were really very nice, I tasted both and I was happy that I made the decision to make them, even though they were shunned by my family members despite so much effort being put in.

The 2 recipes were inspired by Alex Goh's Baking Code. I said "inspired" instead of "adapted", because I changed so many ingredients in both recipes, that they were no longer recognisable. :)


Vegetable Quiche inspired by Alex Goh's Baking Code

Prepare a ready-made puff pastry (I used Marc Payot bladerdeeg instead of making the puff pastry in his book)

Ingredients A
1 onion (100g)
3 tbsp oil

Ingredients B
300g mixed vegetables (4-seasons frozen vegetables from Colruyt, thawed to room temp)

Ingredients C
60g grated cheese mix of gouda and emmental cheese

Ingredients D
3 eggs
160g whipping cream
1/2 tsp of salt
a pinch of pepper

PS: original recipe uses 300g of fresh veggies (pumpkin, green capsicum, celery, and carrots) and 3 tbsp of spring onion in ingredients B; 60g of grated cheddar cheese in ingredients C; and 2 eggs instead of 3 eggs in ingredients D.

Method
1. Roll out the pastry to 3-mm thickness and line it in a 20-cm pie mould (I used a 24cm pie mould with removable base.)

2. Line the pastry shell with aluminium foil and fill it with red beans. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 15 min. Remove the foil and beans and set aside to cool. (This step is called blind-baking, I used uncooked rice instead of red beans to weigh down the pastry. If you don't weigh down the pastry, it will puff up. My puff pastry was stuck to the aluminium foil, so next time I better grease the alum foil a little.)

3. Fry ingredients A until the onion becomes soft and brown, then set aside to cool.

4. Place ingredients A (onion) and ingredients B (mixed veggies) over the blind-baked pastry. Sprinkle ingredients C (grated cheese) on top. (As my mixed veggies required a cook time of 8 min as stated in the packaging, I fried them together with the onions for about 4 min, since they will be further cooked in the oven.)



5. Mix ingredients D (egg, whipping cream, salt and pepper) until well-blended and pour it into the pastry shell.

6. Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 20-25 min.

I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

I am linking this post to Bake Along #62 (Savoury Pies/Tarts) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsJoyce of Kitchen Flavours, and Lena of Frozen Wings.

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #13 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,
    Oh dear, so sorry to hear that your family would not try your quiche! Yes, I can understand the disappointment and anger when food is rejected especially when it has not been given a chance. I would be glad to come over for tea to share it with you. I can see all your hard work paid off, as it looks really good! In a way, I guess I am lucky that my family are not picky eaters, they are very "chin-chai" when it comes to food, so it is easier for me to try new recipes.
    Thank you for baking along with us and appreciate that you are rushing to link it before the deadline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to make a quiche too but i guess i couldnt make it in time for the deadline...

    anyhow, the quiche looks delish..even if he doesn't appreciate it, we all will and start to drool on your pics of your quiche ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B,

    You made it!!!

    3 hours to go and you can write this post and enjoy this delicious quiche at the same time... You are fast!!!

    Nevertheless, no stress and rush if you want to link with us in the future... Let me know if you are "slightly" late, I will try to fix it :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi miss b, sorry for visiting late as i'm just back from a trip . I hope you are all good by now, well can understand the frustration but dont let it bother you too much ya. Good thing is that you hv made some delicious pies and share it with your readers. Thx again for your linking another great looking pie with us!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails