Saturday, June 14, 2014

[My Treasured Recipes #1] - Potato Ham and Cheese Pie by Alex Goh (马铃薯芝士火腿派)


This was the 2nd pie dish I made earlier today, it wasn't the one rejected by my 2 kiddies. These mini potato ham and cheese pies were still baking in the oven, tick tock tick tock, while my kids were enjoying fries in the frietkot. These pies were very healthy and wholesome and very yummy too, as usual my kids didn't know what they have missed. I actually prefer this pie than the other vegetable quiche which I made.

Again, I have changed the ingredients slightly, I didn't use his home-made puff pastry recipe, and my pies looked much bigger than those in the book, so I should say this recipe was inspired, instead of adapted from Alex Goh.




Potato Ham and Cheese Pie inspired by Alex Goh's Baking Code.

Prepare 2 pieces ready-made puff pastry, makes 4 to 5 mini pies (I used Marc Payot bladerdeeg instead of making the puff pastry in his book)

Pie Fillings
600g potatoes
60g butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
80g diced carrots (1 medium carrot)
100g grated cheddar cheese (used grated gouda and emmental cheese)
100g diced chicken ham
1 egg, beaten with few drops of water

Method
1. Place the diced carrots in a pot of boiling water and boil for 2 min. Drain and set aside.

2. Cook the potatoes with skin in a big pot of water until soft and cooked. Peel the potato skin and mash them. Add butter and mix until well-blended.

3. Add in the rest of the ingredients (diced carrots, grated cheese and diced ham) to the mashed potatoes and mix well. 

4. Roll out the puff pastry and use a bowl to cut out circular pieces to fit the mini pie moulds. Place a piece of the cut-out pastry onto a mini pie mould and brush the sides with water.


5. Put in the pie fillings, and cover the top with another piece of cut-out pastry. Trim off the excess pastry and imprint the sides with a fork.

6. Beat an egg and add few drops of water. Using a brush, egg-wash the surface and prick the top with a fork.

7. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 20 to 25 min.

Notes: I was so tired that I forgot to season with salt and pepper. However the flavour was just nice, it was salty and creamy due to the grated cheese. So for the next time round, i would omit the salt and pepper. 



I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

I am linking this post to Bake Along #62 (Savoury Pies/Tarts) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsJoyce of Kitchen Flavours, and Lena of Frozen Wings.

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #13 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


9 comments:

  1. Hi, Charmaine, I think you could also link this to LTU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn,
      I'm not Charmaine, I'm Miss B, alias Ah Bee. You got us confused. :) Okay, I will link up later, thanks!

      Delete
    2. Sorry...hee hee hee...thanks for linking, Bee!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bee,
    Hehe, I guess Jozelyn get mix up between you and Charmaine :D
    Oh yes! Please do link up with LTU your this yummy pie!!
    Guess what?? I made this potato cheese and ham pie too and it's is really tasty!
    Will post and link up to MTR soon.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This potato ham and cheese pie is really easy and delicious! Thanks for linking up. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ms B
    This pie looks as delicious as your veggie quiche! Potatoes and ham are the perfect match in a savoury dish, and this pie would be a winner in my house.!
    Will be linking to MTR later in the week.
    Thanks for linking to both BA and CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...

    But I must tell you your pie looks really great.. And I always loved my pies with lots of fillings inside...oh yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss B,

    Funny that your kids are acting like "big-shots", rejecting your bakes.... LOL! If they don't want to eat the vege quiche, I will... Try them that if they are slow, auntie Zoe will fly to Belgium to eat all their pies :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, ive actually mistaken you with another blogger as i hv thought your earlier submission was your second one.. Yeah, just like zoe, if we 're staying next to you, we will run over to your house to happily eat these pies of yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails