This was the 2nd pie dish I made earlier today, it wasn't the one rejected by my 2 kiddies. These mini potato ham and cheese pies were still baking in the oven, tick tock tick tock, while my kids were enjoying fries in the frietkot. These pies were very healthy and wholesome and very yummy too, as usual my kids didn't know what they have missed. I actually prefer this pie than the other vegetable quiche which I made.
Again, I have changed the ingredients slightly, I didn't use his home-made puff pastry recipe, and my pies looked much bigger than those in the book, so I should say this recipe was inspired, instead of adapted from Alex Goh.
Potato Ham and Cheese Pie inspired by Alex Goh's Baking Code.
Prepare 2 pieces ready-made puff pastry, makes 4 to 5 mini pies (I used Marc Payot bladerdeeg instead of making the puff pastry in his book)
80g diced carrots (1 medium carrot)
1 egg, beaten with few drops of water
1. Place the diced carrots in a pot of boiling water and boil for 2 min. Drain and set aside.
2. Cook the potatoes with skin in a big pot of water until soft and cooked. Peel the potato skin and mash them. Add butter and mix until well-blended.
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients (diced carrots, grated cheese and diced ham) to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
4. Roll out the puff pastry and use a bowl to cut out circular pieces to fit the mini pie moulds. Place a piece of the cut-out pastry onto a mini pie mould and brush the sides with water.
5. Put in the pie fillings, and cover the top with another piece of cut-out pastry. Trim off the excess pastry and imprint the sides with a fork.
6. Beat an egg and add few drops of water. Using a brush, egg-wash the surface and prick the top with a fork.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 20 to 25 min.
Notes: I was so tired that I forgot to season with salt and pepper. However the flavour was just nice, it was salty and creamy due to the grated cheese. So for the next time round, i would omit the salt and pepper.
I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.
I am linking this post to Bake Along #62 (Savoury Pies/Tarts) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, and Lena of Frozen Wings.