Friday, June 6, 2014

[My Treasured Recipes #1] - Alex Goh's Orange Shortbread (柳橙酥饼)

This is my first bake for the event My Treasured Recipes featuring Alex Goh (June/July 2014). I am not much of a cookie baker, having baked just a few cookies in the past (see here). So I have chosen a very simple Orange Shortbread cookie that contains only a few ingredients. As I have mentioned in my previous post, as part of respecting the author's IP rights and in order to avoid any such violations, I will not release the entire recipe, I will only indicate the ingredients and give a very short and incomplete description of how the cookies are made. However I will try to fill in the blanks by referring to another recipe/video. If you are interested in this recipe or his other cookie recipes, I would encourage you to purchase the book indicated below, and you will find more delicious cookie recipes inside. :)


before putting in oven.

Adapted from Alex Goh's Orange Shortbread, from his book "Joy of Making Cookies"

Ingredients (makes about 25 cookies)
100g unsalted butter 
50g sugar 
1 tbsp orange juice 
zest of 1 orange, finely grated 
170g plain flour
20g cornflour 

Method
- Follow the steps as per how you would make shortbread cookies. (You may wish to reference this video in Joy Of Baking, however there is no need to chill the dough.)
- Roll the cookie dough between 2 plastic sheets to 0.5 cm thickness, and cut out the cookies with cookie cutter. Prick some holes with a fork. 
- Bake at 170C for 20 to 25 min until golden brown.




Notes:
- If you find the dough too dry or crumbly, in addition to the 1 tbsp orange juice in the recipe, you may add orange juice a few drops at a time until you achieve the right consistency and the dough comes together. 
- I used 3 types of cookie cutters - a regular one, Winnie the Pooh cookie cutter and Eeyore cookie cutter. I only pricked holes for the cookies cut by the regular cookie cutter.

Verdict:
This is a very simple and easy shortbread recipe that even new bakers can attempt. I did not take many fotos as I had to leave briefly for 30 min after the cookies were baked and by the time I returned, gosh, my kiddies had finished all the cookies all by themselves, leaving none for me! I dunno whether to be happy or sad when my boy came up with an empty cookie box and said to me "Look, mummy all finished! "

I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.


I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (June 2014 - Butter) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Mui Mui of My Little Favourite DIY and Jozelyn Ng of Spice Up My Kitchen.

Also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #13 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


5 comments:

  1. Hi, Miss B, thanks for the link up with LTU!
    I have few Alex Goh's cook book, will link up a post soon!
    Cheers and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful cookies!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bee,
    Lovely Winnie. the Phooh and friends shortbread.
    My kids would have eaten up all of these shortbreads if it is in my house :D
    Thanks for sharing this to LTU!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ms B,

    I'm a fan of Pooh too! ... but my son didn't like Pooh that much :p

    These shortbread with orange must be very fragrant... Yum!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms B,
    Cute shortbread cookies! I can almost smell the orange fragrance!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!
    Will try to link up something, it has been quite sometime since I last made any of AG's recipes. I have 8 of his books!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails