Monday, June 30, 2014

Banana Butter Cake using Egg Separation Method (Alex Goh)


When I saw this banana butter cake from 燕の烘焙屋, I remember saying to myself that I must try this cake since I haven't done a banana butter cake for quite a while. The last time I did Aunty Yochana's banana cake was years ago, and nowadays my favourite banana cake is the easy peasy rice cooker banana cake, which I am tired of making it so often. Hence this is actually quite a refreshing change, although it is much more complicated.



Recipe adapted from 燕の烘焙屋, original recipe is from Alex Goh's Creative Making of Cakes 创意西式蛋糕

Ingredients A
250g unsalted butter at room temp
150g fine sugar
5 egg yolks

Ingredients B
50g g fine sugar
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Ingredients C
300g plain flour (I used cake flour)
sifted with 1 tbsp milk powder + 1 tsp baking powder 

Ingredients D
200g ripe bananas, mashed using a fork 
a pinch of salt

(I did not use the method from Yen's blog as I was afraid the banana butter cake might turn out dense and oily, so I did the troublesome way of using egg-separation method following the method of Wendyinkk's NgSK Butter Cake which I had tried once with success.)



Method
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Prepare a 7-inch square pan, line the base and sides with baking paper such that the edges hang over the sides of the tin, for easier removal later. I did not grease the base or the sides. (Since I did not wanna use my 7-inch square pan with removable bottom in case it leaks, I chose a recently bought bread tin measuring 23 cm x 14 cm. On hind sight, I should use a square cake tin since such  butter cakes have the tendency to crack into a smile in a narrower cake tin. You can also use a 8-inch round cake tin)

2) You need to have at least 3 bowls, 1 for egg whites, 1 for egg yolks and 1 for sifted flour. Whisk butter and 150g sugar using mixer till pale then add  egg yolks one by one and mix well after each addition.

3) Add in half the sifted flour and mix using mixer at low speed briefly. Add in mashed bananas and mix briefly. Finally add in the remaining flour and mix briefly at low speed till well-incorporated. (If you don't want the bananas to be very fine, use a spatula to fold in the bananas before adding the remaining flour and mixing by mixer. The resulting batter will be very thick, but will become more fluid later after adding egg whites.)

4) In a separate clean, dry and oil-free bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar, followed by sugar in 3 additions. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks. 

5) Add half of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and mix at low speed using mixer until incorporated. Add the remaining half of egg whites and FOLD using spatula.

6) Pour the batter into the prepared lined tin, smooth out the batter with a spatula and bake in preheated oven for 170C for about 60 min. (After 30 min, as I was not watching the oven but trying to chase after my kids, I suddenly realised that the surface of my cake was cracking, wanted to lower the temp but it was too late. Then at 60 min, I checked with a toothpick and it was still a little moist, so I let it bake for another 7 min at 150C, loosely covered with alum foil.)

7) Remove from oven and let it cool on cooling rack before serving.



If you find this egg-separation method too troublesome, you can refer to the original method in chinese which is simpler. However the egg-separation method will produce a butter cake which is not greasy and very much lighter in texture. If you are not particular about the crack on the surface (some people find that a successful butter cake is one without cracks), then you can use narrow loaf tins or round cake tins, if not try to stick to a 7 inch square tin, and make sure the oven temperature is not too hot.

For other banana cakes, you may wanna check out my easy no-mixer banana cake made in rice cooker OR my oven-baked banana walnut cake.


I am submitting this post to "My Treasured Recipes - Alex Goh (June/July 2014)" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.

I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (June 2014 - Butter) organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsMui Mui of My Little Favourite DIY and Jozelyn Ng of Spice Up My Kitchen.


3 comments:

  1. 这个蛋糕也是我喜爱的。香蕉甜品嘛,很合口味。嘻嘻嘻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bee, thanks for your continuous support in the LTU event! I will post some Alex Goh bakes once I complete my work! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms B,

    I prefer Asian cakes generally with egg separation methods... I reckon they are fluffier and softer in texture. I can see this nice and fluffy texture in your butter banana cake :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails