Friday, May 23, 2014

[Rice Cooker Challenge] - Rice Cooker Sweet Potato Buns with Kaya or Nutella Fillings (RCC #17)


I recently joined this very interesting baking/cooking fb group and we were all into rice cooker baking. Actually I was the culprit, I started it all, and suddenly there were so many fotos of rice cooker cakes (literally) flying around in that forum. Wendy, an active member and admin of the group, came up with a rice cooker purple sweet potato bun recipe and shared her results with the group. The original recipe was a bread machine recipe from Lisa. The foto of Wendy's fluffy rice cooker buns enticed me so much that I immediately made them the next day using orange sweet potatoes. I stuffed half of the buns with my homemade kaya and half of the rest with nutella spread. Due to the presence of sweet potatoes, the bun texture was better than Carol's rice cooker cheese bread. However the dough was really sticky and I had to knead it longer than the time stated in her recipe. 



Recipe adapted from Lisa Tok and Wendy Chun with thanks.

Ingredients
270g bread flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tbsp milk powder
85 ml cold water (use tap water)
150g purple sweet potatoes (steamed and mashed with fork and cooled down)
1 egg
45g butter

Method
1. Place all ingredients except butter into mixing bowl. Beat on low speed using dough hook for about 5 min, then use medium speed to beat for another 10-15 min, till it is elastic to form dough. (I used my bread machine to knead the dough for 1 cycle of 20 min and still find it very sticky, so I let it knead an extra 5 min, total 25 min. On hindsight, it could be due to the fact that I did not strain the mashed sweet potatoes of excess water.)



2. Transfer dough to rice cooker to let it proof for 45 min in fermentation function, or until doubled in volume. (My Toshiba has no baking function and also no fermentation function. As the weather was pretty warm at 22 degrees outside, I covered the dough with greased clingwrap and let it proof outside for 1 hour. You can also place your dough in the rice cooker, turn on the "keep warm" mode for 15 min then turn it off, and let it proof for the rest of the time.)

3. Punch down the dough, and divide equally into small portions and add shrimp floss (ready-made Glory brand shrimp floss from supermart), knead it into small balls and place them in rice cooker. (The weight of the dough was about 650g, I divided it into 60 gram each. The dough was still quite sticky, so I had to flour my hands and the table top generously.) 

Before 2nd proofing
After 2nd proofing
4. Set fermentation function again and proof for another 15 to 20 min. After this proofing, change to baking function and bake for 45 min or until baked. (This time round, I used the keep warm function of both my rice cookers. The dough was too much to squeeze into my 5.5 cup Toshiba, so I placed 4 pieces into my Toshiba and 6 pieces into my 10-cup Cuckoo. After proofing, I pressed the "Cook" button on each rice cooker and let them cook for 40 to 45 min. My Cuckoo finished the 1st cycle in 18 min and I had to press "Cook" 3 times and abort it in the middle of the 3rd cycle when 40 min was up. For my Toshiba, I pressed "Cook" only twice, it finished the 1st cycle in 30 min and the 2nd cycle in 15 min, taking a total of 45 min.)


Buns in my 10-cup Cuckoo
Buns in my 5.5 cup Toshiba

Notes:
- It's very strange but my Toshiba buns turned wrinkly immediately upon opening my rice cooker, whereas that from Cuckoo remained smooth. This was the 2nd time that this happened, since the Toshiba buns also turned wrinkly when I made Carol's cheese bread.
- These buns were softer and better in texture than Carol's cheese bread, partly due to the presence of sweet potatoes. However the texture didn't keep that well, and it is best to consume within the same day. I ate some the next day and it has turned a little harder.
- I like the combination of kaya fillings with sweet potato, and nutella with sweet potato, they really fit well together!


I am submitting this post to Rice Cooker Challenge #2 - What Else Can a Rice Cooker Do? hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Ms B, I too have joined that group in FB and the rice cooker photos are popping up every few minutes! Would it be possible to use the normal rice cooker for this purpose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie,
      When you mean normal, I presume you mean fuzzy logic rice cookers without baking function. Yes, you can use that type of RC,

      Delete
    2. Ok, I have read your posts on RC baking so I have some ideas already…let's hope I don't burn my RC when I try it out lol!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am totally happy seeing you post lot of RC recipe and you come from Belgium.
    I am student in Gent and love to bake cake. However, since I have no oven here, I use RC to bake.
    Finding your blog is like finding an oasis in desert :p
    Keep blogging ;)

    Liz Secret Rendezvous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. I suppose your name is Liz? Just curious, which cakes have you tried so far?

      Delete
    2. Yes, my name is Liz. I am trying the banana cake (the easiest one first, hehe). And currently I am trying the sweet bread recipe (planning to put gouda cheese inside of it) :)

      Delete
  3. Hello

    May I ask what's the Facebook group as I would like to learn more about baking in the rice cooker.
    Love your recipes by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, I just baked my first rice cooker banana cake and I sure am hooked! Would you post the link to the group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the rice cooker related recipes can be found here.
      https://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/p/rice-cooker-cakes.html?m=1
      There is no need to join any particular fb group. Although you may like to check out my fb page if you haven't done so.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails