Thursday, May 15, 2014

[RIce Cooker Challenge] - Carol's Rice Cooker Cheese Bread (Carol老师的电饭锅乳酪面包) (RCC #15)

Buns cooked in my Toshiba (left) and Cuckoo (right) rice cookers.

I finally picked up courage to make my very first rice cooker bread! Aren't they beautiful? They were cooked in 2 different rice cookers!


Actually this is not my 1st attempt on this bread recipe. I did it one day earlier and it failed because I under-kneaded and under-proofed the dough. Thinking of using only my Toshiba 5.5 cup cooker, I halved the dough, only kneaded for 8 min. Great mistake. Dough didn't rise, plus the fact that I turned on the keep warm mode for 5 min and switched it off, letting the dough proof inside the rice cooker pot for 1 hour, that didn't work for me, at least not under the cold weather in Belgium.

Buns cooked in my Cuckoo (left) and Toshiba (right) rice cookers.

But I didn't give up. I have seen how nice the bread turned out both in Carol's blog and in Charmaine's blog, so I decided to give it another shot. So for the 2nd time, I used the full recipe, kneaded for 30 min using bread machine and proofed first in the enclosed oven for 1 hour with the lowest heat switched on. For the 2nd proofing, I used the rice cooker to proof for 1 hour with the the "keep warm" mode switched on for the first 30 min.

Instead of using cheddar cheese, I used belgian cheese as filling, they were very yummy! Look at the texture of the buns, can you believe they were cooked in the rice cooker(s)? See the foto above, the ones on the left with markings on top (markings due to my cake rack) with the top part facing up were cooked inside my Toshiba 5.5 cup rice cooker, while the ones on the right with the bottom crust facing up were cooked inside my Cuckoo 10 cup pressure rice cooker.


See my Toshiba buns were smooth upon opening the rice cooker, but they turned wrinkly very soon if you look at the collage, I dunno why. The wrinkles were not due to water dripping back, they were due to exposure to cold air, I think. I didn't have the same problem with my Cuckoo buns. I suspect my Toshiba buns were over-proofed and too airy and fluffy as compared to my Cuckoo buns, reason being my Toshiba is a smaller cooker and the buns inside have contact with the walls of the pot, they were snug and cosy inside and hence they rose better. Does it make sense, I think it does. :p

Btw, these buns were finished by the next morning, so do I have to say more? I am gonna upload the instructions in English and more pix later, stay tuned. :)


For the recipe (in traditional chinese), you can refer to Carol老师的电饭锅乳酪面包. Big thanks to my "teacher" Carol ! 中文食谱请参阅 Carol老师的电饭锅乳酪面包, 谢谢老师的无私分享 ! =)


I am submitting this rice cooker cheese bread to "Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #2 - What Else Can a Rice Cooker Do?" hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.

Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (Milk) organised by Bake for Happy Kids, My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Tze of Awayofmind Bakery House at this link.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B, I have not try making bread in rice cooker before, it sounds so attractive!

    Thanks for linkup with Little Thumbs Up!

    Tze

    ReplyDelete
  2. 做的真好
    謝謝與我分享~

    ReplyDelete
  3. 謝謝 閣下 的分享 !!
    好明顯 Cuckoo 的 "壓力" 電飯煲 輸出溫度較高, 所以 Cuckoo 把麵包的底部烘得焦黑一點.
    另外 , 由於 Cuckoo 於烘焗時的 "氣壓" 較高, 壓制著麵團的澎脹程度, 所以 Cuckoo 烘出來的麵包表面沒有東芝烘出的 airy 及 fluffy 效果.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you said : "See the foto above,
    the ones on the left with markings on top (markings due to my cake rack) with the top part facing up were cooked inside my Toshiba 5.5 cup rice cooker,
    while the ones on the right with the bottom crust facing up were cooked inside my Cuckoo (10 cup) pressure rice cooker."
    Obviously , you confused between left/right .
    I believed those of the left were cooked by Cuckoo,
    while those of the right were cooked by Toshiba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you maybe right. It was so long ago, i couldnt remember anymore. The caption under the first foto was correct though.

      Delete
  5. Hi i want to try to bake carols cheese bread recipe but its all in chinese. Have u translated in english? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails