Thursday, May 8, 2014

Boerenappelcake / Farmer's Apple Cake

Last weekend we were invited to a friend's house for a BBQ party. Being invited as guests, it is only polite that you bring something for the hosts, be it flowers, chocolates or wine/beer (usually it is chocolates for the lady and beer for the gentleman since we live in the land of chocolates, beers and waffles). As usual, I offer to bake some cakes for dessert, and I took this as a good opportunity to practise baking new cake recipes. So I picked a butter cake recipe which I saw on FB and that turned out to be really disastrous, my worst butter cake ever. I started baking at 10+ pm and by midnight I knew that the butter cake would be going to the chickens for their tea party so I would have to bake another 2 cakes before 3am. :(
Foto taken at 12 midnight in my dimly-lit kitchen.

That was when this boerenappelcake (farmer's apple cake) recipe came to mind. I could not afford to make any mistakes anymore , since it was already midnight, and if it didn't work out, we would have to rush to the bakery the next morning to buy a cake. I did 2 cakes in tandem, one in the oven and another fail-proof moist chocolate cake in the rice cooker to save time, and luckily I managed to finish both before 2am. 

Thank god this cake was a saviour, I couldn't slice and taste it at home, so I had to wait with bated breath to hear the verdict from the guests at my friend's BBQ party. I got a "dikke duim" (fat thumbs up) from all the belgian and dutch guests present at the party.
Finally managed to steal a shot of the cake while everybody was not looking, hehe.

So here is the boerenappelcake (farmer's apple cake) translated from Dutch into English. Adapted from Caroline Brouwer originally from the book "Appeltaart" by Janneke Philipi

Ingredients
200g unsalted butter at room temp
200g + 25g sugar
3 eggs
200g plain flour (I used patisserie flour)
10g (2 tsp) baking powder
3 tbsp milk
2 to 3 sweet apples for eating (I used 2 jonagold apples) *
1 tsp ground cinnamon
icing sugar (optional)

* In Belgium, they do differentiate between apples for eating (handappels) and apples for making apple mousse (moesappels).

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius with both top and bottom heat and grease a 18 x 28 cm (7 x 11 inch) brownie pan and line the sides with baking paper that hangs over the sides.

2. Whisk in the stand-mixer or hand-mixer butter with 200g sugar and a little salt until soft and creamy. Beat in the eggs one by one.

3. Sieve the flour with baking powder over the mixing bowl and mix at low speed until the batter is smooth. Finally mix in the milk. Pour the batter into the lined pan and smooth out the dough. (I switched to using the hand whisk so that I could have better control.)

4. Peel the apples and remove the core, cut them into small cubes and toss them with 25g sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the apple cubes over the batter. (Do not press the apples into the batter otherwise the cake would become dense.)

5. Bake the apple cake in the preheated oven for about 40 min or until golden brown. Let the cake cool down in the cake pan. Sprinkle icing power generously over it and cut the cake into 8 to 10 blocks. (I was afraid the cake would brown too quickly just like my failed butter cake so I placed the cake pan 1 shelf lower than the middle shelf so that the top of the cake was at the centre, and I baked for 40 min at 180C, then I moved the cake 1 shelf higher to the middle shelf and left it bake for another 10 min until golden brown. You could just bake on the middle shelf right from the start but towards the end cover the cake loosely with aluminium foil if it is browning too fast. )


I initially wanted to reduce the total amount of sugar but I did not as this was meant for guests, and not for our own consumption, so the sweeter the better. I thought the sweetness was ok, it was not extremely sweet. I intentionally omitted the icing sugar on top, otherwise that would really be a sugar overload. This cake was really nice and moist, everybody liked it. This cake is highly recommended, a recipe I would keep for the future.

I love apple cakes, so if you have a good recipe to share, pls leave me a comment, thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Looks so good! The picture shows a lovely light texture to the cake and I'm sure cinnamon and apples on cakes is just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the favourite type of apple cakes in this region. :)

      Delete
  2. You are good in all cooking (Y)(Y)(Y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sarah,
      Thanks for visiting. I am just a home-baker, so-so in cooking only.

      Delete
  3. Hi, this cake looks really great. I will try it out next Weekend ! thanks for the impressions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I tried this last Saturday and it came out well. Thank you!! Reena

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails