Wednesday, April 30, 2014

[ROUNDUP] - Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1 (Apr 2014)

Here is the roundup for my Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1. First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to the bloggers who have shown their unwavering support and taken the leap of faith to the "dark side" i.e. rice cooker baking. I am really heartened by the overwhelming response. At first I thought I would only get maximum 5 entries including my own, but as time went by, the event slowly gathered momentum and a total of 15 entries were submitted at the end of the month. Yippee!!! This event may not mean anything to bakers who are used to baking in the oven, but this will definitely be a good resource for those who do not have an oven at their disposal.

This event has given me a great opportunity to learn from my fellow blogger friends. I have learnt from Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House that you can bake/cook a chiffon cake in a 5-inch chiffon cake paper mould in the rice cooker and yet make it look like a chiffon cake from the oven, and you can use waffle mix to make a peach almond tart. :)

Violet from Violet's Kitchen has shown me that you can bake/cook a lovely orange marble cake in the rice cooker which may leave you wondering if it was made in the oven. :)

My dear friend Nasifriet, a fellow blogger living in Belgium, after getting her cake burnt once, has found the ultimate solution to baking in her 1-button 19-year-old National rice cooker - double protection by lining with aluminium foil and parchment paper! Her subsequent 2 cakes were so successful that her son kept asking her if she is gonna make RCC every week for her family. Hats off to her perseverance and tenacity! :)

Thea Ong (thealovetea) who is also an avid rice cooker baker has submitted her "no mixer no oven rice cooker banana cake", and has given me inspiration for rice cooker breads from her blog, that will be my challenge for next month. :)

Chocolate + Pumpkin + Rice Cooker = ?
Baking Scientist (bakingscientistexperiment) has given a nice twist to my rice cooker moist chocolate banana cake, she swapped bananas for pumpkin and whipped up a beautiful chocolate pumpkin cake. Thank you for having trust in my recipe. :)

If you are interested in rice cooker baking, don't miss our Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #2 which will be held in the month of May, ending 31 May. We will be making more rice cooker cakes and even attempting rice cooker breads. So stay tuned to this blog for more updates!

I have another short announcement to make. I have made a resolution to go through all my recipe books and bake some recipes from my own books instead of scouring the internet for recipes and leaving them neglected and covered in dust. I shall call these recipes "My Treasured Recipes" as these are recipe books lugged all the way from Singapore to Belgium. As a start, I will be pairing up with Mimi Bakery House and we will be baking Alex Goh bread and cake recipes in the month of June and July. So if you like Alex Goh's recipes, do mark the dates in your calendar and join us in the blog hop. More details to come later...

还有,看不懂英文的朋友可以留言向我要我的电饭锅蛋糕的中文食谱。我的中文还算不错,只是没空翻译而已,如果有时间,我会逐步把食谱翻译成中文。

So here are the 15 entries for RCC #1, enjoy!



1) Rice Cooker Steamed Caramel Banana Cake (Apam Pisang Gula Hangus 电饭锅蒸焦糖香蕉蛋糕) by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders


2) 香橙大理石烤鸡蛋糕(饭锅版) Orange Marble Baked Egg Cake (Rice Cooker Version) by Violet's Kitchen


3) Rice Cooker Steamed Carrot Orange Cake (电饭锅蒸萝卜香橙蛋糕) by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders


4) •Plain Cheesecake•Rice Cooker• by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


5) Sugar-less Rice Cooker Banana Cake (1st Attempt) by Nasifriet of By the Way



6) Cocoa Chiffon Cake•Rice Cooker by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


7) Banana Chiffon Cake•Rice Cooker by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


8) Rice Cooker Chocolate Chiffon Cake (电饭锅巧克力戚风蛋糕) by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders


9) Peach Almond Tarte via Rice Cooker by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


10) No Mixer No Oven - Rice Cooker Banana Cake by Thea Ong of thealovetea


11) Low-Fat Rice Cooker Banana Cake (2nd Attempt) by Nasifriet of By the Way



12) Pandan Sponge Cake (3rd Attempt) by Nasifriet of By the Way


13) Super Moist Chocolate Banana Cake (Rice Cooker, Steamer, Oven) by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders


14) Rice Cooker Cake - Chocolate Pumpkin Cake by Baking Scientist


15) Rice Cooker Orange Chiffon Cake by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders


If you are still hungry for more rice cooker cakes (RCC), do check out my RCC #1 to #14 by clicking on the label "Baking with Ricecooker". If you would like to receive more updates, do click like on my Facebook Page.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    Thank YOU for hosting this most challenging blog-hop event ever!. I enjoyed the from once-upon-a-time insane journey to a somewhat addictive adventure :-) What can I say? It was FUN!! My guys and I enjoyed the cakes, esp my 2nd and 3rd attempts. Well, the first cake was always the hardest as it was done by trial and error. I had balanced both forces of nature, the Dark Side and a New Hope, and most of all I have learnt from my mistakes and improvised them as I went along. In other words, I have out-smarted my "grand old lady" :-) Yay!!

    I have promised my younger son a RCC this weekend, but it will be for us to see and for you to know ;-)

    Cheers and have a great long weekend if your hubs is bridging Friday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Nasifriet. =)
      If not for your 1-2-3 valiant attempts, we would not know the trick on how to cook a rice cooker cake successfully in a "grand old lady", haha!

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    How come Charmaine's rice cooker chiffon cake has a hole in it? Must check out her post now!!! Interesting!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know when I first saw her cake, I thought she placed a piece of toilet roll in the centre, haha! :)

      Delete
  3. banana seems like the most favorite recipe for everyone.... ^^ including me....

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails