Thursday, April 17, 2014

[Rice Cooker Cake Challenge][RCC #12] - Chocolate Chiffon Cake (电饭锅巧克力戚风蛋糕)

Baking in the oven is too mainstream, isn't it?

And who says chiffon cakes can only be baked in the oven?

This is the chocolate chiffon cake I "baked" in my Toshiba rice cooker 2 weeks ago, originally intended to schedule it for next month's RCC Challenge, but when I saw Mimi Bakery House's cocoa chiffon cake submitted to my RCC Challenge #1, I couldn't resist anymore. I want to show my chiffon cake too!



I am very delighted to find a fellow blogger who shares my joy in making cakes in the rice cooker. After all, not everybody is interested in rice cooker baking especially if you have an oven at home. But I find baking in the rice cooker very intriguing and very interesting, and every time I try out a new cake recipe in my rice cooker, there is always something new to be learnt. :)



I have never liked making chiffon cakes in the oven, no thanks to the up and down tandrums of my oven and the cold room temperature in Belgium (18 - 20 degrees) which often causes my chiffon cake to deflate when it comes straight out from the oven (Okay, maybe it's my skills, I shouldn't blame it on my oven all the time). Being an amateur baker, I have only 2 successes with baking chiffon cakes in the oven (see here and here), but I find this chocolate chiffon cake recipe very reliable and always yielding successful results.


So I tried out this recipe from Florence and poured the batter into my rice cooker pot and waited with bated breath. Tick tock tick tock...No peeping ok! If you peep before the cake is done, it will shrink and all your efforts will go down the drain. 



This is how the top of the cake looked like. See how different it is from the usual RCC moon-crater look, it is very flat and smooth.



This is the bottom of the cake (see picture below). The 2 blemishes at the top were due to the blemishes on the surface of my rice cooker pot. Notice also that the cake is dented on the bottom left. That was because I was careless in inverting the cake. You should use a rice cooker steaming rack (special rack that comes with the rice cooker), insert it into the rice cooker pot so that when you invert the pot, the cake would be inverted neatly onto the steaming rack instead of falling from a height onto a plate. 


To be very frank, unmoulding a chiffon cake from the rice cooker pot is not exactly an easy task, it is a little more difficult as compared to unmoulding other types of cakes. Don't get me wrong, the chiffon cake does come out easily from the pot even without having to loosen the sides, but because it has such soft cottony texture that when you hold a plate over the rice cooker pot and when you invert both the pot and the plate, if the plate is not held in the right position and the cake doesn't land exactly in the centre of the plate and instead lands on the side of the plate, you will get a cake dented or squashed on one side. You know what I mean? Just check out the bottom of this cake, see the left side is not symmetrical with the right side? Well, this is something that I still have to practise. 

Also the cake tends to shrink a little and pull away from the sides when I open the rice cooker. You have to act fast and immediately invert it just like when you bake a chiffon cake in the oven. The only thing is I am not sure if the shrinkage is due to greasing of the pot, I know I should not grease chiffon cake pans but it seems that the rice cooker pot has to be greased. Well actually the rice cooker pot has a non-stick surface and generally chiffon cakes don't like non-stick surfaces. Okay, Let me try out a few more chiffon cakes without greasing the pot and I will update you on the outcome.

Talk talk talk and still haven't shown you the recipe, so here it is, a very nice and rich chocolate chiffon cake suitable for using as a base for black forest cake. :)


[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery.]

Recipe adapted from Florence of Do What I Like 

Ingredients (A) 
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp rum or kirsch
40g castor sugar

Ingredients (B)
25g cocoa powder
85ml warm corn oil

Ingredients (C) 
135ml warm water

Ingredients (D) 
125g cake flour 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Ingredients (E)
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
50g castor sugar

Method :
1. Mix ingredients (A) well with a hand whisk.
2. Stir cocoa powder in warmed oil until dissolved and pour into yolk mixture.
3. Stir (C) into yolk mixture.
4. Sieve ingredient (D) and stir it into yolk mixture.
5. Whip egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until big bubbles are formed. Add in the cream of tartar and whip until white and frothy. Add in sugar over 3 times and whip until stiff peaks. 
6. Pour 1/2 of egg white into yolk mixture and fold gently with spatula.
7. Pour the combined mixture back into the remaining egg white mixture and fold gently with spatula.
8. Pour batter into lightly greased rice cooker pot and press "Cook" for about 50 min. 

Notes:
- I am using Toshiba RC10L-MI with 5.5 cup capacity and no baking function.



I am submitting this post to Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1 - Are You Game for It? hosted by me, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.


My RCC Challenge #1 is slowly but steadily gathering some steam! If you have never heard of rice cooker baking, this is your chance to try your hands at it. Do read up the FAQ first and join in the fun of baking in your rice cooker!

11 comments:

  1. Looks good indeed... yeah getting the cake out of the pot is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting non-chiffon cakes out is not a problem, they don't get squashed, but the chiffon cake made in a rice cooker is really so soft that it gets squashed easily. if you fail to invert it properly. I think the same applies to cheesecakes.

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B...

    My name is Ayu...I decided to come out here to thank you for your inspiring blog, especially your yums rice cooker cakes. Having a toddler baby girl who constantly asks for cakes almost everyday is challenging and rewarding at the same time. When I see her jumped in joy and said..."Yay !!! Chocolate Cake!!!...upon seeing me unmoulding the cake from the pot...its all worth it!

    As a mom of 2 (I have younger baby boy) and work from home job to attend to, stumbling upon your blog is a blessing. Never in my life I feel 100% confident that my cakes will turn up fine, including chiffon cakes...in a rice cooker!!

    As now, i'm eating away the Chocolate Orange Chiffon Cake that I adapted from your Chocolate and Orange Chiffon Cake ( I substituted the warm water in Chocolate Chiffon Cake recipe with warm freshly squeezed orange juice + orange zest)...its heaven...its fluffy, tall, chocolate rich and fresh with orange taste and scent...

    Thank you again!! Keep posting great stuffs, please...I'm stalking you! haha...
    I made pandan concentrated juice as I plan to bake Pandan Chiffon Cake adapting your Chocolate Chiffon Cake recipe, just not sure on how much coconut milk should I put in...If you are able to help me here, it will be awesome, if not, that's fine too...i'll give it a shot.

    Thank you...
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayu,

      Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was very busy these few days. Wow, you made an chocolate orange chiffon cake from this recipe? I am constantly amazed when readers come out with new recipes from my existing ones, bcos I am not a very creative person, I always use the same old recipes over and over again. :)

      Actually, to tell u the truth, this recipe is really a keeper, it is more stable than the other rice cooker orange chiffon cake recipe which I have tried a few times in my rice cooker and only succeeded once or twice. I am definitely gonna try your chocolate-orange version one of these days and see how it turns out.

      Btw, can you tell me what type, brand and capacity of your rice cooker? And do you mind sharing with me the cake fotos? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I will check my pandan chiffon cake recipe and let you know later how much coconut juice to put in, sorry gotta rush to pick up my boy...

      Delete
  3. Hi Ayu, Miss B,

    I am Ms Flo, can I know if you guys did try using this recipe for a pandan chiffon cake? How did it turn out and what are the measurements for coconut milk and pandan extract?

    Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Flo,
      I dun think anybody has attempted this recipe for a pandan chiffon cake. However there are 2 tried-and-tested rice cooker pandan chiffon cake recipes in my rice cooker cake challenge #2 in this link below, you may wanna take a look there.
      http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/06/roundup-rice-cooker-cake-challenge-2.html

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss B!

    I have an extremely similar rice cooker as you (RC-10NMF) and it has a baking function. May I know if I can just set the baking function timer to 50 min? The cake batter looked exactly like yours! =p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Park Sumin,
      Baking function is warmer anf requires less baking time than cooking function I believe, but you can always try. Maybe set it to 45 min.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails