Friday, April 11, 2014

[Rice Cooker Cake Challenge] [RCC #11] - Rice Cooker Carrot Orange Cake (电饭锅蒸萝卜香橙蛋糕)

前阵子老公一直碎碎念,说想吃萝卜糕。我问他你要吃黑的还是白的,其实两种我都不会做。我心里想的是新加坡小贩中心的炒萝卜糕,而他要吃的却是美国人发明的萝卜蛋糕。萝卜蛋糕其实我也从来没做过,所以也就把这件事也搁着忘了。

后来在网上看到这款电饭锅萝卜蛋糕,瞄一下食谱,是少油、少糖萝卜又多的健康蛋糕,正合我意。这个蛋糕虽然看起来不怎么样,我倒扣的时候因为蛋糕太软,还差点毁容,但是真的很好吃,出乎意料的好吃。蛋糕很软很湿润而且口感很好,吃得出淡淡的萝卜的味道,橙皮的芳香,还有脆脆的核桃。我吃了一块又顺手拿多几块。全家人不到一个钟就把整个蛋糕一扫而空

This is my 11th rice cooker cake to date. I just "baked" a rice cooker caramel banana cake a few days ago and now I am presenting something quite different! If this is the first time you come to my blog, be warned! Because I am crazy about rice cooker cakes, and I am holding a rice cooker cake challenge this month on my blog. :)

I made this carrot-orange cake upon special request from my hubby, who was nagging me all the time about carrot cakes. I thought he was referring to the savoury type of fried carrot cakes from Singapore, but no, he meant the American carrot cake. Call me "suaku" or "mountain turtle" if you will, but I have never tasted one, let alone baked one before. So when I saw this rice cooker carrot-orange cake, I was over the moon, because I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone!


This rice cooker carrot-orange cake was surprisingly moist. When I took it out from my rice cooker after 1 hour, I was a little disappointed because the cake sank slightly in the middle and looked dense at the bottom (I think I must have underbeaten the egg whites to avoid them attaining stiff peaks) but I didn't expect it to taste so good! It was quite refreshing in taste, just imagine grated carrots paired with grated orange zest and a little orange juice, topped with crunchy walnuts...The cake was wiped out within an hour, need I say more?




[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery.]

Ingredients for Rice Cooker Carrot-Orange Cake
Recipe adapted from Shinshine

4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
100g sugar (1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
70g vegetable oil (1/3 cup) 
1 tbsp orange zest (from 1 orange)
1 cup carrot, peeled and grated (about 2 small carrots or 100g)
1/3 cup or 30g walnuts, toasted and finely chopped (I used a mixture of nuts)
3 tbsp orange juice
125g plain flour (1 cup)
2 tsp baking powder

Method
1. Sift together flour and baking powder.  Set aside.

2. Whisk egg whites using a cake-mixer.  When egg whites turn white and foamy, add 1/2 of the sugar and continue to whisk until the egg white meringue starts turning glossy. Then add remaining 1/2 of the sugar and continue to whisk till the meringue is firm and silky-glossy (soft-medium peak), meaning when you lift the whisk, the tip should gently fall.

3. Add egg yolks into a mixing bowl, followed by salt, vanilla extract and mix well with a manual whisk. Add oil and mix well. Then add grated orange zest, shredded carrots and chopped nuts and mix well.

4. Take 1/2 of the egg white and fold into the egg yolk mixture using a spatula. Then add the resultant mixture back into the remaining 1/2 of the egg white and fold in gently.
.
5. Using a spatula, gently fold in 1/2 of the flour, then add the remaining 1/2 and fold in gently until it is no longer lumpy. Do not overmix.

6. Grease the rice cooker pot and pour in the batter, then place the pot in the rice cooker and let it cook for 1 hour. (I pressed "Cook" 3 times, 29 min + 18 min + 17 min = 64 min in total.)

7. Check with a toothpick to see if the cake is cooked. When it's done, flip gently onto a plate. Let it cool to room temperature. (Be very careful when you overturn the cake, this cake is very soft and fragile!)


Notes:
- I am using Toshiba RC10L-MI with 5.5 cup capacity and no baking function.
- I pressed the "Cook" button 3 times and took a total of 64 min (29 + 18 + 17).
- I am using the full recipe from the original source, but I added 3 additinal tablespoons of orange juice for a refreshing taste and I changed slightly the method of mixing.
- This cake is pretty flat and dense even in a 5.5 cup cooker due to the grated carrots and nuts. Suggestion for the future: instead of using 2 tsp of baking powder, use 1 tsp baking powder + 1 tsp baking soda. The baking soda can only work in the presence of acidic ingredients, so make sure there is a little orange juice or lemon juice to activate it in the batter. 





I am submitting this post to Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1 - Are You Game for It? hosted by me, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.

I am also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (April-Orange) organized by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Anncoo Journal at this link.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! This is amazing!! I didn't know rice cooker can bake cake. Love the colour and definitely love to try it out myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I continue to be surprised everyday by what the rice cooker can do in terms of baking. Not just steamed cakes, it can bake sponge cakes, chiffon cakes and even kasutera cake. :)

      Delete
  2. Miss B, I had submitted my 1st attempt:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charmaine,
      Thanks a million! I suppose you have a 2nd rice cooker cake on the way too? :p

      Delete
  3. Hi Miss B,

    I saw a Chinese cookbook at Kinokuniya in Singapore publishing all cake recipes using rice cooker to bake. I'm thinking of you at that time. Can't remember the title because I can't read Chinese very well. Can you ask your Singapore relatives to check out for you???

    A new rice cooker for me? My husband refuses because he still prefer easy cleaning and using dishwasher to wash our rice cooker pot... Can't convinced ourselves especially my stingy old man to get a new Japanese one!!! *sign*

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that book must be a japanese-translated-to-chinese book by Kumiko (飯田順子). She has a few rice cooker baking books under her name such as 我的電子鍋 什麼麵包都會做 and 你想吃的甜点电子锅都会做, I am eyeing these books and may get one of them on my next trip.

      Btw, you really shouldn't dump your rice cooker bowl into dishwasher, it will damage the inner lining. I wonder why, is your rice cooker bowl that difficult to clean? I normally only rinse it with water to clear the rice granules from yesterday, only if I cook chicken porridge then I will wash gently with warm soapy water. But it is always easy to clean for both my new and old rice cookers, never have any problems...

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails