Wednesday, April 30, 2014

[RCC Challenge][RCC #14] - Rice Cooker Orange Chiffon Cake (电饭锅香橙戚风蛋糕)

After posting my chocolate banana cake, I thought I am almost done for this month's Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1, after all I have already baked my 13th RCC. I nearly forget that I still have another orange chiffon cake which I tested in my Toshiba rice cooker in mid April. This orange chiffon cake will be my RCC #14 and my 5th and last RCC for this month. The result was not as good as my rice cooker chocolate chiffon cake (RCC #12), as the cake rose and shrank a little. I peeped 2 times maybe that was why! So exercise your patience and no peeping please!


I suspect the shrinking might also have something to do with greasing the rice cooker pot. As I mentioned in my chocolate chiffon cake post, I am still experimenting with chiffon cakes in rice cooker, so I am not sure whether I can do without greasing the rice cooker pot. I know that it is a taboo if you bake chiffon cakes in the oven, but I was afraid I couldn't unmould it easily. 

The first time I tried this chiffon cake, I did it with mango juice and I used the whole recipe which is 5 eggs, the cake rose too high and hit the ceiling and the rest was disaster. This time, I used the same recipe, retained the original orange flavour and reduced the ingredients proportionately for 4 eggs, but I stumbled when I inverted the cake. Gosh, I should have used a rice cooker steaming rack to touch base with the cake and carefully invert it instead of using a plate and letting it crash down a few inches from the pot to the plate. In the end the cake was a little bit squashed on top as I struggled to wiggle it to move to the centre of the plate. The texture was really so soft and cottony that it was difficult to unmould. Or should I say it was easy to unmould but difficult to invert on a plate. On hindsight, maybe I was busy taking pictures of the top of the cake that I forgot I should invert immediately as the cake was shrinking when it came into contact with cold air from outside. So next time I must take note of all these little details and hopefully my rice cooker chiffon cake would be perfect!

Recipe adapted from my favourite Baked Orange Chiffon Cake, ingredients reduced to 80% of original recipe to suit a 5.5 cup cooker. 



This cake was cooked after 45 to 50 min, less than 1 hour in my Toshiba RC10L-MI. You would know if you can smell the aroma, I could smell it in the middle of my 3rd cycle after pressing cook thrice. How would you know how long it would take your rice cooker to cook my RCC? Well, my RCCs normally take 1 hour in time (this one is exception) and my rice cooker is a 5.5 cup fuzzy logic cooker that takes 40 min to cook plain rice. So if your rice cooker takes 20 min to cook rice, then your timing for baking cakes following my RCC recipes should be adjusted accordingly. Word of caution: this chiffon cake may not be suitable for making in a traditional rice cooker.

I am submitting this post to Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1 - Are You Game for It? hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.


I am also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up (April-Orange) organized by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Anncoo Journal at this link.


[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery. ]

11 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    I think the interior surface of your rice cooker pot might be too smooth for the rising cake to cling on... Nevertheless, it must be fun exploring the possibilities of this bake :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is too smooth, dfficult to climb...If I could get hold of paper chiffon moulds from SG, I will try to follow what Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House did, it's easier.

      Delete
  2. Hi Miss B, This is amazing. I've never thought or used rice cooker to bake a cake before. Thank you for sharing your experiences :D
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      The humble rice cooker used to be the only electrical appliance our parents have during their time, and I think my mum has once baked a cake in her rice cooker before. Nowadays almost everybody has an oven at home, they only use rice cooker to cook rice and nothing else, what a pity!

      Delete
  3. Hi miss, where can I find the recipe for orange chiffon cake using rice cooker? Very inspiring and tempted to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/06/rice-cooker-orange-chiffon-cake-4th.html

      Delete
  4. hi,my name is Jane
    i've already tried your recipe...the banana cake and chocolate moist cake..both end.up well ,thanks to u miss B
    today i tried make pandan chiffon cake,but failed. i dont know where is my mistake.i followed all the step from your recipe. is it because i mix the egg white using manual whisk? i mixed it almost 10minutes to reach stiff peak form. my hand looks bigger now :p . and also i grease the ricecooker, and i am not using baking paper to cover the ricecooker bottom.
    the cake shrink and not fluffy at all...the center of the cake is too dense and far from chiffon cake shloud like . i would like to try second time,any advice ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      This is rice cooker orange chiffon cake. I do not have a rice cooker pandan chiffon cake recipe as far as I can remember. I think you are mistaken.

      Delete
  5. Hi Miss B

    Just wondering whether is this recipe is high enough for my 10 cups rice cooker? I plan to make it this Saturday :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it maybe quite flat for a 10-cup. Do check out the list of cakes listed in rice cooker challenge #2 to see if anybody has attempted this cake in a 10-cup.

      Delete
  6. Hi, this is what I had been looking for (rice cooker baked/steamed bread/cake) !!! I am glad that I stumbled upon this site. Just a few days ago, instead of the rice cooker, I had used the crockpot for making banana bread ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=816772685043927&l=fcccb746c9

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails