Tuesday, April 29, 2014

[RCC Challenge][RCC #13] - Super Moist Chocolate Banana Cake (Rice Cooker, Steamer, Oven)


This is a a super moist and yummilicious chocolate banana cake that you can prepare in 10 min and make in 1 hour to impress your guests. 

No oven? No worries, this can be cooked in rice cooker or steamed in steamer.

No rice cooker? No problem, this can be baked in oven too.

No cake-mixer? Doesn't matter, this cake only requires a spatula or wooden spoon, no mixer required. You just need a stove to melt the butter, sugar and evaporated milk.

No baking experience? It's ok, this is the perfect cake suitable for beginners, as long as you understand the instructions in English. You cannot possibly fail in making this cake, I assure you. You just need to melt, stir and mix/fold. You can easily ask a primary school kid to make this cake, my oldest son is still too young, otherwise I would have happily delegated this task to him. :)

This cake would join my rice cooker steamed moist banana cake and my rice cooker steamed moist chocolate cake to form the Trilogy of "no oven, no cake-mixer" cakes suitable for dummies. Oh yes, I forgot there is still one christmas fruit cake that requires no cake-mixer too, so it is quadrilogy and not trilogy. No, I am not insinuating that my readers are dummies, but you know what I mean. :)

I am very satisfied with how this cake turned out to be, it was so super lekker that I ate 1/4 of the cake after it came out from the oven rice cooker. No wonder I still look pregnant after delivering my baby nearly 3 months ago! 

Oh yes, this is my 13th rice cooker cake and my last cake for this month's Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1. Pop champagne! If you are interested in rice cooker baking, don't forget to browse through my RCC challenge link and my other RCC bakes.




[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery.]

Adapted from my rice cooker steamed moist chocolate cake recipe

Ingredients
60g unsalted butter/oil (if you are using cooking oil, use a neutral-flavoured oil)
175g castor sugar
200ml evaporated milk (1/2 can)
1 large egg
125g plain flour (I used cake flour)
40g cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
150g very ripe bananas 
(1.5 medium-sized bananas, weight without skin, to be mashed with fork)

Method
1. Combine castor sugar, evaporated milk and butter in a saucepan.

2. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, turn off the fire and keep warm.

3. Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cooled evaporated milk mixture and stir till well-mixed.

4. Add in the mashed bananas and mix well.

5. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl.  Add the sifted flour mixture in 3  additions to the combined batter and stir or fold till well-mixed. (cake batter should be runny).

6a. [For the rice cooker] - Grease the rice cooker pot and pour in the batter. Press "Cook" and let it cook for 1 hour until a toothpick comes clean when the cake is poked. I pressed "Cook" 3 times and the cake was done in 63 min. Note that time required may vary based on brand, model, technology and cup capacity of your rice cooker.

6b. [For the steamer] - Heat up the steamer 10 min in advance. Line the base of a 7-inch square pan (or 8-inch round pan) with baking paper and grease the base and the sides lightly with butter/oil/baking spray. Pour the batter into prepared cake pan, place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan losely with a piece of aluminuim foil. Steam over medium to medium-high heat for 45 to 55 min.

6c. [For the oven] - Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F. Pour the batter into a greased and lined loaf pan (recommended 9 x 5 x 3 inch) and bake for 35 to 40 min. Note that I have not tested in the oven yet, but this cake definitely can be baked in the oven as it is very similar to JoyofBaking's Chocolate Banana Cake which is double the quantity and had to be baked in a 9 x 13 inch pan for 35 to 40 min.


Notes:
1. This recipe was adapted from my steamed moist chocolate cake, the amount of each ingredient was adjusted based on my gut feel. 
  • What ingredients were being reduced : butter reduced from 150g to 60g, eggs reduced from 2 to 1, cocoa powder reduced from 60g to 40g (liquid ingredients were reduced so that bananas could be added to the recipe, cocoa powder was reduced to make the cake less rich in chocolate flavour)
  • What ingredients were being increased : baking powder increased from 1/2 to 3/4 tsp, baking soda increased from 1/2 to 3/4 tsp (amount of raising agents increased so that the cake would be less dense even with the addition of bananas)
  • What was being added that was not in original chocolate cake recipe : 150g bananas
2. If you want to reduce the banana flavour of the cake, you can reduce the bananas, say from 150g to 100g, but you need to increase the rest of the liquid ingredients (butter, egg or evap milk) by 50g, to maintain the same level of moisture.  Similarly if you want to increase the banana flavour, say from 150g to 200g, you need to reduce the rest of the liquid ingredients by 50g, at the same time you need to increase the amount of baking powder and baking soda since more bananas means the cake will be denser.

3. If this is the first time you come across rice cooker cakes, pls read my FAQ on how to make cakes in a rice cooker before you start. 


I am submitting this post to Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #1 - Are You Game for It? hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.





[Update on 3 May 2014]
4 days after I posted this recipe, I received an email from Michelle L on 3 May 2014 with the message "I attempted just this morning and it turned out wonderful. Moist and soft, risen beautifully. I used 2 medium eggs though as I don't have large eggs, and because of that I used 50gm of cocoa powder instead of 40gm. Also added a teeny weeny bit of vanilla essence. Thanks so much for sharing such great recipes online". Thank you Michelle for your positive feedback! Michelle is using a Sanyo basic rice cooker, 1.8 litre with no baking function. =)

12 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Love the combination of chocolate n bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baking Scientist,
      Thanks very much for being the first to try out this recipe and turning it into a lovely Chocolate Pumpkin Cake! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello!

    First time browsing through your blog. You have got such an amazing recipes. I wanted to try your rice cooker method of baking chocolate banana cake but my rice cooker doesn't come with any sort of advanced technology function or non-stick pot. Its a Panasonic with cooking capacity for 3 cups. Since, I'm trying using this method for the first time, I don't want to double the quantity of ingredients. Please advice on this.

    Thank you in advance.

    -Abby Laks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    Can I bake this cake using Panasonic rice cooker with 3 cups cooking capacity and without non-stick pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby,
      You can try 3/4 of this recipe since the full recipe would exceed 3 cups, then press cook for 45 min to 1 hrs. The timing is just an estimation, pls use your own judgement, you can check at every 10 to 15 min interval after 30 min. It should be doable in a non-stick pot but I cannot give you 100% guarantee that it will work since I only know my rice cooker and cannot advise on every single rice cooker in the worl. Wish you success in baking this cake :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss B,

    My panasonic microcomputer rice cooker comes with 6 buttons - 1. white rice, 2.porridge/soup, 3.brown rice, 4.quick cook/steam, 5.keep warm and 6.off button. So which one should i use for making the cake? Can i choose white rice? I used the quick cook /steam button before but it stop every 10 mins and the cake dun turn out good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss B,

    This is my 2nd time to use your rice cooker recipe to make the chocolate banana cake. It is success, moist n delicious. Thank you so much for your innovative method of making cake.

    Regards,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi :),
    This looks perfect! I was looking for an easy cake to make for my boy friend's B-day. I have no skills for cooking and as a college student all I have is my rice cooker so I find this perfect. I'll try it out, I wanted to add some walnuts in it. So I was wondering can i just put them in the mix? or it's better if I add them at top after?
    I had been checking all your recipes, Thanks for taking your time to explain everything! all of them look great, I chose to try this one first but for sure I'll keep using me rice cooker for more than just making rice :)!
    By the way I'm sofia, thanks for your amazing posts :)
    Regards,
    Sofia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way of knowing if it works is to try it out. I think you can try either way. :)

      Delete
  7. I baked with a Philips rice cooker (10 cups cooking capacity) with cake setting.
    My cake rised to 2 inches high, and turned out just how it should be: soft and spongy, the right amount of cocoa yet I can taste banana in the cake.
    I served it warm with a scoop of ice cream.
    Thank you so much for the recipe.
    I shall try to use 125g sugar next time, for personal reason.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails