Monday, April 28, 2014

Korean Style Baby Meatballs (HanGukSik GgoMa MiTeuBol 한국식 꼬마 미트볼)

This meatball dish was very simple to prepare and the taste was very delicious! It was the first time that I ate meatballs tinged with the sweetness of apple/pear. It was quite a refreshing taste, the meatballs were very juicy and succulent. I notice that Korean recipes like to use asian pears to marinate their meats and even to prepare their kimchi. In the absence of asian pears, you can use just a normal pear or an apple which was exactly what I did.



I normally don't like to fry anything in my small kitchen, be it shallow-frying or deep-frying. For these meatballs, I had to fry them in batches and as it was getting pretty late, I quickly served the 1st 2 batches of meatballs to feed my starving kids, leaving behind the last batch which I placed into a small bowl for some quick photography. It is during times like this that I wish I could get myself the hottest kitchen gadget in Singapore right now, the Philips Airfryer. Then my kitchen would be grease-free and smoke-free, and I could serve Korean Baby Meatballs everyday to my kids without smelling like a walking fried meatball myself. =)


Recipe adapted from Aeri's Kitchen

Ingredients
400g minced beef
3/4 of asian pear (I used apple)
2 tbsp chopped spring onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
pepper and salt to taste

Method
1. Add all the ingredients into a blender/food processor.

2. Grind for about 1 min on high speed until it becomes a sticky paste.

3. Put the meat paste into a ziploc bag or piping bag, cut the edge off with scissors.

4. Squeeze the bag to pipe meat balls 1/2-inch in size, and cut off each meatball with pair of chopsticks or a dull knife. (I find it easier to squeeze the meatballs onto a plate 1st instead of directly into the frying pan, so that I can still shape the meatballs. I cut off each meatball from the piping bag with a pair of scissors.)

5. Prepare a frying pan with sufficient oil for shallow-frying. Fry the meatballs on medium-high heat for about 5 min or until golden brown. Occasionally turn them around so that they will cook evenly.


I am not sure whether this is a typical Korean dish or if it is just a fusion dish invented by Aeri's Kitchen, but still I am gonna submit this post to Asian Food Fest: Korea, hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails