Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Turkish Baked Beef Pasta (Firinda Kiymali Makarna)


This is a turkish pasta dish called Firinda Kiymali Makarna and it is actually my first time trying out a turkish dish. I wanted to make some turkish borek, but somehow I couldn't find the filo pastry (filodeeg in dutch) at my nearest Carrefour supermart, so I changed my plans and decided to make this pasta dish for dinner instead. This pasta was very easy and though I didn't put enough salt, I was quite happy with the results especially since His Majesty (my son) asked for a 2nd helping. He especially liked the cheese crust! :)

Adapted from turkishcookbook.com, quantities doubled, for 5 - 6 servings.

Ingredients
400g spirelli pasta
400g minced beef
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 big onion finely chopped
1 big carrot, peeled and grated
1 can of tomatoes, 400g
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1.5 cups of grated mozzarella cheese

Method
1. Cook the spirelli in a big pot of slightly salted water till al dente. Drain the water and set the pasta aside.

2. Meanwhile, in a non-stick saucepan, drizzle 2 tbsp of oil, add in the chopped garlic and fry till fragrant. Add in chopped onions, fry for a while before adding in minced beef.  

3. Then add in the carrots, canned tomatoes, paprika powder, dried oregano to the minced beef and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 8 to 10 min.

4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.

5. Take the beef mixture, add in the chopped parsley, mix everything together with the spirelli pasta and pour the pasta into an oven-proof pyrex dish. Mix the beaten eggs and grated mozzarella cheese together in a bowl and spread the cheese mixture over the top of the pasta.

6. Place the dish in the middle of the oven at 200 degrees celsius for 15 min or so until the top crust turns golden brown. Remove from oven and serve while hot.




I am submitting this dish to Asian Food Fest - West Asia Month, hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish.

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    It look nice. But I dont eat beef, can I just chg the it to chicken and pork? Will the other ingredients mix well with it?

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,
      Yes you can, I'm using beef and not pork so as to stay true to the recipe, as Turkey is a Muslim country. But you can use any minced meat.

      Delete
    2. Ya, too bad I dont eat beef, so have to chg a bit :)
      Will print this out when I'm back to office after Xmas :) took leave to do hse cleaning for CNY hahahaa

      Merry Xmas to you, Ms B. :)

      Wendy

      Delete
    3. Hi Wendy,
      Merry Xmas & happy new year to you too! I will be making a beer bread soon, something you can try if you like beer. :)

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails