Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Panda Bread or Pandan Bread or Both ? 斑兰熊猫面包

Hello, knock knock, is anybody there?

Yes, yes, I am back, with a vengeance! 

I haven't really baked anything this 2 weeks except for a tiger bread (of which the written notes was somehow misplaced and hence not published yet) and this cute little panda bread. My dear son calls it "kuku panda", actually he meant "kungfu panda", just that he couldn't pronounced the "kungfu". So it seems that I am into baking animal breads lately, haha! 



This is actually a pandan panda bread or a panda pandan bread, or you can call it a "kuku panda bread" just like what my son did. The original recipe used green tea powder, but I decided to give it a pandan flavour by using the indonesian koepoe koepoe pandan paste. 



You know, I nearly threw this panda bread into the bin, cos I was not good at eyeballing and I underestimated the size of the dough when I rolled it out and couldn't get the plain dough to wrap completely around the eyes. The perfectionist in me then decided to peel the doughs apart even though it was a painfully messy and sticky affair, and while struggling with the entangled mess of a dough, at the heat of the moment, I was so pissed off I nearly threw the whole thing into the bin. Luckily the patient side of me was suddenly awakened, and I thought about how much time I had already spent kneading and proofing the dough, it would be a waste for me to throw away a fruit of labour which I had already spent so much time and effort on. 

As I said, I stumbled while putting the coloured doughs together, and as a result, I was nearly late in fetching my son back from kindergarden (yah, murphy's law at work again). Luckily for me, the end product, though not very satisfactory, turned out to be not too bad either. I think it look like a "cock-eyed panda", haha! What do you think? :p

Recipe adapted from Florence of Do What I Like 

Ingredients (makes a loaf of about 555g, 206x108x100)
230g bread flour 
70g cake flour
30g sugar
milk + 1 yolk = 210g (I used full cream milk)
4.5g salt (1 tsp) 
4g instant yeast (2 tsp) 
20g unsalted butter

Mixture for chocolate dough
8g cocoa powder dissolved in 8g boiling water

Mixture for green dough
8g green tea powder dissolved in 10g boiling water
1 tsp pandan paste/essence + 2 to 3 drops water


Method
1. Mix milk and 1 egg yolk together and warm it up to about 38 degrees celsius. (I used the microwave on High for 30 sec.)

2. Add everything (except the cocoa mixture and pandan mixture) into bread machine and set to "dough" mode. Let it knead for 20 min, stop and restart the "dough" mode and let it knead for another 15 min. 

3. Divide the dough into 3 portions: 75g for the chocolate dough, 210g for the plain dough and the rest (270g) for the green dough. (My dough was about 555g.)

4a. To make chocolate dough, add the cocoa mixture to the 75g dough and knead until the colour is even. Likewise to make the green dough, add the pandan mixture to the 270g dough  and knead it until the colour is even. (I did the kneading by hand for the chocolate dough but I used the bread machine for 3 min for the green dough as the pandan mixture was too sticky.)

5. Place all 3 doughs separately into a greased plate covered with clingwrap and let it proof for 30 to 40 min. (I placed them each into a greased bowl covered with clingwrap and let them proof for 60 min in the oven set to lowest temp at 40-50 degrees celsius.)


After 1st proofing of 60 min.

6. Punch air out of each dough and proof for another 20-30 min. (Again covered with clingwrap and placed in oven for 30 min to proof.)
After punch-down.
After 2nd proofing of 30 min.

7. Take 90g of the plain dough for the face, 2 x 27g of the chocolate dough for the eyes, and 30g of plain dough for the space between the eyes. Mould the face according to the picture shown.

8. Take the remaining plain dough, roll it flat using a rolling pin and use it to wrap around the dough from step 7.

9. Divide the remaining chocolate dough into 2 pieces for the ears (2 x 10g), and stick them onto the finished dough from step 8.

10. Take 70g of the green dough to fill up the space between the ears. 


11. Take the remaining green dough, roll it flat using a rolling pin and use it to wrap around the dough from step 10. 

12. Place the dough into a greased loaf pan with a lid and let it proof for 50 to 60 min in a enclosed area. (I placed the dough in a pullman loaf pan, covered it with the lid and I let it proof for 60 min in the oven set to lowest temp at 40-50 degrees celsius).

13. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celsius for 25 to 30 min. (I took out the bread after proofing for 1 hour, increased the temp to 200 degrees celsius for 10 min, before I finally put in the bread for baking. I placed my pullman loaf pan at the lowest shelf in the oven just slightly above the bottom for 25 min. And for the next 5 min, I removed the lid of my pullman loaf pan and moved it to the highest shelf so as to brown the crust.) 




I am submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up (September ) - Pandan hosted by Josceline of Butter, Flour & Me, organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mui Mui of my little favourite DIY.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    Don't throw your pandan / panda bread away!!! Lucky that you didn't. It looks nice and cute to me!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B, you did an amazing job shaping your panda bread, I have thought of making before but dare not attempt yet! Yours is well shaped as I can see the panda clearly:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B,I like the way your son called it kuku panda bread,so cute,hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe and Jeannie,
    Thank you for your kind words, I was glad I didn't give up on the dough! :)

    Esther,
    I was ROFL the minute I heard him say "kuku panda", haha! I call it "cock-eyed panda"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this bread before, real cute but mine did not look exactly like panda LOL
    yours looks fine, can see that it's panda in the bread :)
    oh yes, the assembling is a nightmare, especially for my unskilled fingers :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. 这个很有创意哦。看来不简单的做法。我要慢慢学习才可以。
    谢谢你的分享和连接。

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bee,
    Sorry for my late visit :p
    Hey!! your Panda bread look great!!
    I attempt this once but mine was not good :( Looking at how good yours is i am going to try making this again :D

    mui

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails