Saturday, August 24, 2013

Really Good Sandwich Bread again - Die Die Must Try!


If you like making your own breads, and have time to spare (I am talking of at least 5 hours from start to end not including the dough starters), here is a good recipe for really soft white sandwich loaf. For this Alex Goh recipe, you have to prepare 1 gelatinized dough starter and 1 overnight dough starter. I first baked this bread nearly 3 years ago in Sep 2010, wow how time flies! The thought of preparing the 2 dough starters the previous night and having to spend at least 5 hours kneading, proofing and moulding the dough probably made me procrastinate or put me off the thought of re-attempting this recipe, besides there are so many bread recipes waiting to be tested. :)


But since yesterday was a warm and pleasant day suitable for proofing bread, I decided to brush the dust off my bread-machine and re-start my "motor" and re-kindle my interest in bread-making. I haven't used much of my ALDI bread machine this year, apart from making chinese steamed buns and 1 pandan kaya bread.



This recipe would yield a very big dough, the total weight was about 1350 grams so I divided it into 6 pieces of dough of about 220g each, squeezing 3 pieces of dough each in a loaf tin. Actually it was enough to fill two 450g pullman loaf tins, but I have only 1 pullman loaf tin so I had to bake the other in another loaf tin which was exposed on top, hence this resulted in a nice brown crunchy crust as seen on the left.


You can refer to this Alex Goh recipe from my first attempt in Sep 2010. We only sliced the first loaf for breakfast today, and the 2nd loaf is still untouched, but I will post more pictures and give a verdict of the 2nd loaf when we have it for breakfast tomorrow. Stay tuned! :)

[Update on the next day 25 Aug 2013]


This is the 2nd loaf baked in a pullman loaf tin, which I sliced using an electronic meat/bread slicing machine this morning. I have wrapped up the loaf bread on Friday in 2 layers of plastic clingwrap and then in a bread bag, to keep it fresh and soft.



The bread remains incredibly soft and fluffy even after 48 hours. In fact, my hubby who helped me operate the bread slicing machine, complained that the bread was too soft and hence difficult to slice even using a machine, haha! We calibrated the thickness of the bread to about 9mm, and I finished 6 pieces of the loaf bread in one go, each slice was generously layered with my homemade kaya jam, yummy yummy! :)



(I still have some pictures showing the entire bread-making process, including proofing and moulding, yet to be uploaded, stay tuned...) 

Sometimes I have readers asking me why the breads they baked did not remain as soft on the 2nd or 3rd day. Actually it all depends on how you keep your breads. Freshly-baked bread once cooled down, must be wrapped and sealed as tightly and in as many layers as possible, to prevent any contact with air and moisture. For instance, I wrapped mine in 2 layers of plastic clingwrap and then in a bread bag. That being said, homemade breads can never rival commercial breads in terms of how long the breads can remain soft. I am talking specifically about those breads sold in Singapore and Malaysia supermarts, which are loaded with additives/conservatives that keep them soft for days and weeks. If you expose those commercial breads in the open, you will be surprised how long it takes for moulds to appear! Even freshly-baked breads from the best belgian bakery (there is one in my neighbourhood) turn hard and don't taste as good the next day since no additives are added, that's why in Belgium almost everybody goes early in the morning to the bakery to get freshly-baked bread. :)

PS: I recently saw this on facebook (a friend's friend's friend's status), and I thought of sharing this with everybody. I hope that particular bread manufacturer won't sue me for putting up this link

3 comments:

  1. Nice breads Miss B :-D
    Gosh, I still need to make those yummy kaya jam, lah.

    BTW, not long long, I saw a documentary on the telly. Think it was the Food Factory. They did a test on homebaked bread (baker's way) vs homebaked bread with supermarket bread recipe vs the supermarket bread. After 9 nine days, the homebaked baker's bread went mouldy and became as hard as a rock. Both the homebaked bread using the supermarket bread recipe and the supermarket bread remained soft and not mouldy at all. Don't remember what it was that went in there. Guess it was veg gum and extra yeast and improvers, that made the dough really elastic and sticky. Saw the guy did an experiment. He placed the dough in a loaf tin and the dough overflew (can never forget that fragment...), ie needed no further proofing. The bread came out looking like a monster :-D But guess the guy put too much dough in the small loaf tin.

    I've not baked my own bread, but would love too, after seeing the result of both your breads ;-) Mmmmm... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have such a good keukenrobot, you should start making bread while the weather is still warm, grab the chance! Start with a simpler and shorter recipe.

      Btw have you tried the pineapple paste yet, I may get another pack on my next trip back in Oct, although I am not sure whether it is available cos it's not the CNY season yet...

      Delete
  2. :-)

    I'll let you know the result of the pineapple paste. I'm trying to experiment...

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails