Saturday, August 3, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Again!

This post is another one of my backlogs. I actually made this strawberry-rhubarb jam on 18 June. I posted it on my FB page in June (here and here), but I only get around to blog about it till today! 



It was the same story as last year, I got a whole bag of freshly plucked rhubarb (called rabarber in Dutch) during a prayer weekend get-together in the belgian countryside. During the weekend, we were tasked to help the sisters pluck the rhubarb from the garden, wash and cut them, and process them into rhubarb jam. After our hard work in processing and canning the jams, there were still quite a lot of excess rhubarbs which were then distributed to those interested. Well, I didn't bring home all of the rhubarbs which you see in the above picture, just a fraction of it, haha! 

Rhubarb is very sour so you have to add lots of sugar in order to make rhubarb jam. According to the recipe from the sisters, one should add 1 kg of sugar to every 1 kg of rhubarb to make rhubarb jam. I am not particularly fond of rhubarb jam, I prefer to add strawberries which are naturally sweet, and in so doing, I can reduce the sugar level accordingly. 

I bought some strawberries from a local fruit store and they were incredibly cheap, 2 euro for every 500g, hence 6 euro for 1.5 kg, what a steal! So this year, I have got in total 1.5 kg of rhubarbs, 1.5 kg of strawberries, 3 packets of pectin, 1.5 kg of sugar and 3 bananas (not shown in picture). 

I processed the jams in 3 batches, each batch contained 0.5 kg of rhubarbs, 0.5 kg of strawberries, 0.5 kg (instead of 1 kg) of sugar, 1 packet of "pectin plus" and 1 banana.  The "pectin plus" actually allowed me to reduce the sugar level by half.


After some serious jamming, I am proud to present to you the "fruits" of my labour - 9 small and big jars of freshly made strawberry-rhubarb jam. :)



Recipe for making this homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam can be found here in my previous post.

2 comments:

  1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comAugust 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM

    This homemade jam looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B, I never try rhubarb before. But your homemade jam definitely look awesome. I usually made strawberry volka jam.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails