Saturday, July 6, 2013

3 Ingredients Japanese Cotton Soft Cheesecake (Bake Along)


You know Murphy's law? Anything that can possibly go wrong, does.

I baked this japanese cotton soft cheesecake last week, it was all plain sailing until I unmoulded the cake. My inexperience (of baking cheesecakes) really showed when I decided not to use a cooling rack to invert the cake so as not to leave any unsightly marks. Instead, I sandwiched the cheesecake between 2 plates and did a quick flip. That was my moment of folly. The perfect rim of my cheesecake stuck to the plate and was disfigured instantaneously. 

That was not all. It was the end of His Majesty's 1st week of summer holidays (and there are still 7 more weeks to go!) and he was constantly driving me crazy with endless demands to entertain him or play with him, from 8am to 8pm everyday. I said I was gonna make a cake for him and for Her Majesty (my baby daughter), so he was pretty excited about it and behaved well for a while, yes only for a short while. But when the cake was out of the oven, and I was busy slicing the cake and snapping pictures, he couldn't wait and started throwing tantrums, demanding to eat the cake immediately, even to the extent of pressing his dirty fingers all over the cheesecake.  OMG, this was a cheesecake, you can't just press it like any other cake, see the dent on the right hand side of the slice of cake, that was what he did, his work of art! :S

That was the reason why I didn't manage to take a single good picture of this japanese cheesecake, no thanks to my moment of folly, and no thanks to His Majesty's tantrums. :S

Anyway, although this cake didn't look that nice in terms of appearance, but it was really quite nice in terms of taste, and easy to bake too. So even though I had nothing really good to show, but since this was my first time baking a cheesecake, let me just blog it down for remembrance's sake, and also to show support to the Bake Along event. I hope I am not too late for it. :) 

Here is the recipe which I adapted after watching this youtube video by ochikeron. I previously also baked a rice cooker japanese kasutera cake after watching one of her other videos. I realise I much prefer the kasutera cake than this cheesecake because I am not really a big fan of cheesecakes. Somehow, I don't really like the soft texture of cheesecakes although I love eating cheese. :)


Ingredients
3 eggs, at room temp
120g white chocolate, broken into pieces
120g cream cheese, softenedd (I used Philadelphia)

Method 
1. Separate the egg whites and yolks, and place the egg whites in a large bowl. (Tip: place the egg whites in the fridge to keep them cold until ready to use, this will make the meringue more stable)

2. Place the white chocolate in a large bowl over a pot of very hot water (bain-marie/double boiler), add the cream cheese and melt them together. Stir and mix well with wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Then remove the bowl from bain-marie/double boiler and add the egg yolks, mix well.

3. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites with electric mixer until firm peaks, about 4 to 5 min.

4. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the cream cheese batter and fold gently using a spatula. Then add the rest of the meringue, 1/2 at a time and mix well.

5. Spray some baking spray or rub some butter or oil onto a strip of parchment paper, which is long enough to completely cover the sides of the round cake tin (6 inch/15 cm). The width of the parchment paper must also be wide enough so that the paper is above the height of the cake tin. Line the base of the round cake tin with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the cake tin and drop the tin lightly on the table a few times to release the air bubbles.


6. Prepare a rectangular pan big enough to contain the round cake tin. Pour some hot water into the rectangular pan and place the round cake tin on the rectangular pan. Bake at 170C for 15 min, 160C for 15 min, stop the heat of the oven and bake in the remaining heat for 15 min.


7. When the cake is done, allow it to cool a while, before inverting it onto a cooling rack to unmould.



This post is dedicated to Bake Along, a baking event organized by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings, and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is making me hungry! Love your bake! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B,

    I have linked your cheesecake post with our cheesecake bake-along event.

    You can check out Lian's cheesecake which is quite similar to yours. You can find Lian's post at this event linky too. Lian has grown-up kids and of course, she has more time for her baking and cooking... Lucky her! I find myself having more time now as my son is getting older :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, it must have been like a war zone when you were baking this cheesecake..and i can imagine when you said that he pressing the cake with his dirty fingers..naughty him..hehe..mummy must have gone "aar"...LOL!

    it doesnt look too bad , still glad to hear that it tasted quite nice! oh, i hvnt made castella cake before!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails