Wednesday, June 5, 2013

RCC #5 - Rice Cooker Butter Cake

This is yet another new addition to my rice cooker cake creations! I was planning to do a new flavour of rice cooker cake after receiving so many positive feedbacks for my rice cooker banana cake. It's amazing how many people are interested to "bake" cakes using the rice cooker!


Then I happened to see this steamed butter cake from HomeKreations, and I thought this is it! My rice cooker banana cake was also inspired by her steamed banana cake recipe, so I am quite confident that if I adapt this recipe from her, it will work out well again. So I looked at her steamed butter cake recipe, decided to take 3/4 of the ingredients and add in a little baking powder, then cooked it in the rice cooker for 1 hour (62 minutes to be exact).

Here is the result, doesn't it look just like a moon-crater cake from outer space?


The omnipresent little hand of my baby girl, always appearing at the right time to touch my cake!

This is a very simple yet delicious butter cake, I assure you it doesn't taste like a steamed cake at all, in fact it can even pass off as a baked cake if you don't look at its golden brown crunchy crust and the moon-crater-like surface. This recipe is highly recommended, try it if you have a rice cooker at home and if you would like to try rice cooker baking for the first time. This cake is made from a toshiba rice cooker (model RC10L-MI, 5.5 cup capacity) without baking function.

[Important : I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do, and I would be happy if you could give credit where credit is due, and link back to this post if you do make this cake and share it on your blog or facebook. Remember plagiarism is not the best form of flattery.]

Recipe adapted from Roz@HomeKreations, ingredients reduced to 3/4 and steaming method changed from steamer to rice cooker.

Ingredients
3 eggs 
90g castor sugar (just nice, not too sweet)
140g cake flour, sifted (original recipe used superfine flour)
3/4 tsp baking powder (not present in original recipe)
1/2 tbsp ovalette
165g unsalted butter
2 tbsp condensed milk (v impt, not to be omitted)
3/4 tsp vanilla essence
** 1 tbsp of plain yoghurt or milk ** as per reader suggestion.

Method
1. Beat eggs, sugar (and ovalette if using) until it becomes thick and fluffy, about 2-3 min using cake-mixer on highest speed. Add in sifted flour and baking powder and mix well using spatula.

2. In a separate bowl, use cake-mixer to beat butter, condensed milk and vanilla essence until fluffy.

3. Add in butter mixture into the egg mixture little by little and mix very briefly using cake-mixer on lowest speed. Do not over-mix.

4. Pour the cake batter into the lightly-greased rice cooker pot, press "COOK" and allow it to cook for 1 hour. (In my case, I pressed "COOK" 3 times. Each time my rice cooker has finished cooking, it will beep and automatically switch to "KEEP WARM" mode, so I just have to press "CANCEL" and press "COOK" again. It took me 29 min + 17 + 16 min = 62 min in total. This is a cake that works in a rice cooker without the cake baking function. Note that cooking time may vary based on the capacity of your rice cooker. Mine has a 5.5 cup capacity. )


5. Allow the cake to cool for a while, before turning it out. (The cake should flip out easily in a split second even without using a knife to loosen the edges.)


Notes:
- The original recipe asked for 1/2 tbsp ovalette, which is a sponge cake stabiliser / cake emulsifier commonly found in Singapore and Malaysia, and frequenty used in sponge cakes to give a light, fluffy texture. I used to have ovalette brought back from Singapore, but it has long expired and I have thrown it away. But I remember reading somewhere that condensed milk can achieve the same effect as cake emulsifier, so instead of using 1.5 tbsp condensed milk which is the amount required after reducing to 3/4, I used 2 tablespoonfuls and it worked quite well for me, the texture of the cake was not dense at all. 

- This recipe also requires the use of superfine flour as it has a high ratio of butter+sugar to flour. I used cake flour since I can't find superfine flour (superlite flour/top flour) in Belgium. If you don't have cake flour, you can substitute 140g cake flour with 116g of plain flour plus 24g of cornstarch /corn flour, and then sift it together a few times. 

- For those of you who wants to try this cake without cake-mixer, it maybe possible since HomeKreations did not state whether to beat by hand or by mixer, but if you are beating by hand, you would have to beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow in step 1, and in step 3, make sure you fold and mix the egg mixture and butter mixture thoroughly. The batter is quite thick and not so fluid, hence I found it better to use a cake-mixer at low speed to mix for a few seconds in step 3.



I had a little scuffle with His Majesty (my 4 year old boy) while trying to take pictures of the cake in our garden. The sun was shining (finally) and I wanted to grap hold of this good opportunity to take some nice pictures in natural lighting. But he insisted on taking a bite of the 2 slices of cake, before I could even snap a picture. In fact he had already eaten a few slices a while ago, so I flew into a rage and I ordered him to stand under a tree. Papa who had just come home had to act as mediator and later papa told me that he couldn't stop crying because he also wanted to be in the picture. So here is a picture of His Majesty, enjoying the cake while still in tears. :p

Now you know, how difficult it is for me to take any pictures without any "drama" from either His Majesty or Her Majesty! :p


Updated on 9 Sept 2013 - photo link of reader Muthia's rice cooker butter cake, posted below in the comments section on 12 July 2013. Thank you Muthia for the link! :)


On 3 Jan 2014, HS Ong sent me a lovely email with a few photos of her rice cooker banana cake and butter cake baked using the baking function of her Tefal 10-cup rice cooker. She doubled the recipe and it took her 1 hour. Here is a picture of her rice cooker butter cake. Thank you HS for your positive feedback!


[Note] If you are new to rice cooker baking, do read this FAQ before you try out your first rice cooker cake. If you would like to receive more updates, do click like on my Facebook page.  

Wanna check out our Rice Cooker Cake Challenge #2 Roundup?
http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2014/06/roundup-rice-cooker-cake-challenge-2.html

44 comments:

  1. I concur that your rice cooker steamed cake does not taste like steamed cake. My friends/colleagues were stunned when I told them you steamed the banana cake you brought at our housewarming. It was fabulous. I'm convinced to have a go at this, but unsure as to whether my 17 yr old rice cooker will work. Your toshiba looks high tech to me with beep signals and what nots *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have briefly seen the exterior of your rice cooker, is that "National" brand? Does it have a non-stick rice pot? Wow, it must be a good rice cooker to last that long! Even if it doesn't beep or turn off cooking by itself, you should give it a try since you know roughly how long it will take. Although if yours is a 10-cup capacity, it will have a larger base and hence take a shorter time than mine.

      I have read comments of others who have tried the banana cake, for one of the ladies, even though it took her 2 hours from start to end as she had to wait for the cooker to cool off before she could press cook again, it still turned out well. So give it a try, you never know!

      Delete
    2. Correct, it's "National". Have been using it alot. No problem. I think I will miss it when it dies a natural death, but touch wood that nothing happens :-)

      I have never cooked rice up to 10 cups, but I think the most I've made was 8 cups. I will let you know of the outcome when I get round to it. Scouts honour :-D

      Delete
  2. Hello there, looking forward to try this recipe soon. i'm wondering can i omit baking powder or any raising agent and use meringue and fold in technique instead to raise the cake? thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, i just realized i didn't put my name on my comment before. i really want to try this recipe. can i omit baking powder or any raising agent and use meringue and fold in technique instead to raise the cake? thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muthia,
      You can, if you really don't have baking powder at home, but I won't recommend it. This is a butter cake, the result will be denser if you leave out the raising agent. The original recipe even used 1/2 tbsp ovalette (cake emulsifier) which I replaced with baking powder.

      Delete
  4. I bake the cake based on your recipe with 10 cup capacity rice cooker. However,after 15 minutes rice cooker have turn to "keep warm" mode and I have to stuck small piece of cardboard at the rice cooker switch to force it to "cook" mode. After about 10 minutes, I notice a burn smell coming out from the rice cooker. The cake still looks like what you show above but does not taste good. Argh, what have gone wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kent How Teh,
      This cake is based on a 5.5 cup capacity rice cooker. Your rice cooker is too big, that's why it cooked so fast. May I know if your rice cooker is a non-stick japanese microcomputer rice cooker? Because normally it shouldn't be burnt after just 30 min....

      I think you should increase the recipe proportionately (say double the amount) to suit your rice cooker capacity and since every rice cooker is different, it may take less than 1 hour for yours, you have to watch it carefully. From experience, once I could smell the aroma of the cake cooking, I knew the cake was cooked. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Hey kent and miss b, my rice cooker is 10 cup capasity too, and when i baked this cake the warm mode turned pretty quick too. and too turn back on cook mode you have to wait about 5-10 minutes or you will broke your rice cooker. I turn the cook mode back on about 4-5 times until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. i use rice cooker cosmos capacity 10 cups and 180 watt. i hope it'll help :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Muthia,
      Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. I guess every rice cooker is different. Some rice cookers like mine which is a Toshiba RC10L-MI, you can press "Cook" again immediately after it switches to "Keep Warm" mode, and it never gets burnt.

      The advice to Kent How Teh is, the timing really depends on your rice cooker, don't follow strictly, what I give is just a guide based on my experience with Toshiba, you would have to observe your rice cooker and adapt the recipe accordingly. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi i just made this cake with a lil bit modification here and there. and i didn't put any raising agent and the cake turned just fine. thanks for inspiring me. I took a photo of my cake in case you wanna see it and here's the link https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1013193_10151699513337180_1202534203_n.jpg ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muthia,
      Thanks for your feedback, your rice cooker butter cake looks great! I would encourage you to try RCC#4 and RCC#6, I think those 2 are quite easy and well worth trying. Have fun with rice cooker baking! :)

      Delete
  6. hi,

    I don't have a cake-mixer, can't I use hand instead?

    And my rice cooker have a BAKE button, can I just pressed that?

    First time baking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric,
      If you dun have a cake mixer, I suggest you try my other 2 rice cooker recipes, the banana cakeor the moist chocolate cake. If yours has a bake button, of cos you can press that but the timing will be different. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Comment from Jaylene Chuah on my FB page on 1 Sep 2013:
    Jaylene Chuah - I just did d butter cake recipe according to ur rice cooker n I steamed it instead. . It rise nicely n taste nice... shall share both moist chocolate cake n this butter cake with my colleagues as well.. Thanks alot..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I tried out the recipe in a Philips rice cooker with Cake function. Mine is a 10cup capacity rice cooker and it took 45mins to cook. Cake turned out very good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Miss B,

    I am just wondering whether you know of any way to make the top of the cake (the yellow portion) looks nicer? (without putting frosting or cream etc to cover it) cause it looks really bumpy and hole-y and might not be very presentable as a "gift".
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi shermaine,
    Why don't you turn it around, the base should be pretty smooth, flawless and crusty too. Mine had a few tiny blemishes as there were few scratches at the base of my cooker pot. I always present my rice cooker cakes upside down by the way.
    Alternatively, if you want to cover the top, you can sprinkle with icing sugar or cocoa powder. Or do a pattern using a paper stencil (i got it at Daiso) like this http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2013/03/chocolate-fudge-birthday-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Miss B,
    Wow! I didnt know that Daiso sells paper stencil. I will check them out one day! :) Thanks for the suggestion.
    Oh, but will the icing sugar/cocoa powder be able to stick to the cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sprinkle too much and as long as you don't flip it over. The top of this cake is so holey, I'm sure it will stick. You can cover it with chocolate flakes or shredded orange/lemon peel also. Another suggestion will be to use those glittering pens for cake deco to write or draw something. Or spread a layer of jam on top of the cake.
      The options are endless, just let your imagination run freely. :)

      Delete
    2. You can try the lemon glaze here :
      http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2010/05/baking-frenzy-lemon-butter-cake.html

      Delete
    3. Another idea that I just thought of, drizzle some honey or condensed milk on top, that will be really nice!

      Delete
    4. Wow! you really have a lot of ideas! :) thanks so much for the suggestions! i will try it out during my school holiday :) will update you again then

      Delete
  12. Can I use self raising flour instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, SR flour is not the same as cake flour which will produce a lighter texture.

      Delete
  13. I tried the recipe with the full amount as my rice cooker is for 8-cup capacity. It turned out great!!! Initially I thought it won't as I'm using hand whisk and my rice cooker is of a cheap brand (Akira). But amazingly, after 1 hour, with the button keep turning to "keep warm"every few minutes, the cake turned out great. Each time it turned to "keep warm" mode I let it cool for few minutes b4 clicking it back to "cook" mode. Thanks for the recipe! Would love to share the picture but how do I send it to u?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dkhor, Great to hear good news from you! Thanks in advance for willing to share your cake picture. :) You can send by email which is under my blogger profile under the contact, not putting it here cos otherwise robots/spammers will pick up the email address and spam my blog.

      Delete
  14. Any chance that I can use plain flour instead of cake flour since I still have some left and not wanting to eexpand my "baking collections" else mum will start nagging again hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refer to this link
      http://joythebaker.com/2009/09/how-to-make-cake-flour/.
      Measure out about 1 cup plain flour (140g), remove 2 tbsp and replace with 2 tbsp cornstarch and sift together 5 times.

      Delete
  15. Hi can I use regular cane sugar or agave nectar? Also I am a novice baker, could you send me the recipe without using grams. I am use to cups/tsp/tbsp. Here is my email address: smjacal@gmail.com. Thank you. Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina,

      Castor sugar is finer than regular cane sugar, I believe. You can use regular cane sugar if you grind it in a food processor to make it finer, otherwise it is too coarse for making a butter cake. As for agave nectar, sorry but I have no experience with it.

      Unlike you, I only measure my ingredients in grams with the help of a weighing scale, I am not used to measuring in cups. I usually encourage my readers to help themselves by searching on the web. Here are a few useful websites to help you in conversion:

      http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/flour_volume_weight.html

      http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

      Delete
  16. Hi! I tried making your butter cake twice and both times turned out great! The first time it was a little dry and too sweet, so I modified the recipe and added a tablespoon of yoghurt and took away two tablespoons of caster sugar since I heard that yoghurt makes the cake more moist. The results were better and the cake was really soft. (Although it wasn't too sweet but I cleared that up by eating the cake with nutella, which imo tastes so much better!) . Like to thank you for this wonderful recipe since my house doesn't have an oven, and it only takes me 4 rounds of turning off and on the rice cooker. The time taken was around 20 to 30 minutes. Based on the comments I read I expected the time taken to be really long, so I was surprised when my cake was done so fast. I'll be trying your other cake recipes soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi phoebe,
      Thanks for your feedback. I am glad that you adapted the recipe according to your taste and preferences. This cake is actually slightly smaller than the steamed banana cake and the moist chocolate cake, so I'm not surprised it took a shorter time. The timing given is just a guideline and it varies based on the brand, model and capacity of your rice cooker, but the good thing is once you try out 1 cake and know the timing, the rest of the cakes will take around the same time.

      Delete
  17. Here is the link to the latest "no oven, no cake-mixer" RCC recipe : RCC Challenge RCC #13 - Super Moist Chocolate Banana Cake (Rice Cooker, Steamer, Oven). Highly recommended even for 1st-time bakers, do try it out and share your fotos with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's 3am Bangkok time when I stumbled upon your blog. I am determined than ever to try except the man thinks baking a cake at this hour is crazy. Cake looks so good! Shall let you know how mine turns out since I'm certain that I have no baking DNA in me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. First attempt and failed badly, worst still, damaged my rice cooker :-(...... It burnt after just 20mins until overheat the rice cooker....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno how to console you, Zanice. It's the first time someone complains to me that the recipe causes damage in the rice cooker, usually the cake will only get burnt if the rice cooker is not the fuzzy logic type. If your rice cooker is spoilt by just cooking for 20 min, which is not even long enough for cooking porridge, treat it as a blessing in disguise and get yourself a better rice cooker such as Toshiba, which will last you longer and you can cook nice cakes in it. This is my sincere advice.

      Delete
  20. Hi, I hope you can advise me on this. Each time I bake with my rice cooker (butter and banana cake – using yours and other recipe), I always have this problem – the cake is too oily (extremely oily) to consume, I have reduced the butter used and tried salted and unsalted butter but still have the same result. Skewer came out clean so the cake should be well cooked. There are times I ‘cook’ it again even after the beep and ended with slightly burn base but still an super duper oily cake. What is wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jwc8899,
      What brand and type of rice cooker are you using? I think maybe your rice cooker is not suitable for making cakes. Have you tried steaming the cakes in a steamer?

      Delete
  21. Hi,

    I'm using buffalo brand rice cooker with stainless steel pot and fit 10 cups rice. I tried the butter cake recipe. It turn "keep warm" just a few mins after cooking. And need to wait for about 10 mins to turn it back to "cooking".. Therefore I use something to make the button continues cooking. But after around 15 mins the cakes burned... Can please advise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Queenie,

      Pls refer to my faq on how to make rice cooker cakes. You are advised not to force the cook button just to continue cooking, if not you risk getting a burnt cake or damaging your rice cooker or both. There is a reason why your rice cooker doesn't allow you to re-press cook button immediately, just have to wait until you are allowed to do so.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails