Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nonya Lemon Chicken Curry (Little Thumbs Up)


This is my all-time-favourite curry dish, a peranakan/nonya lemon chicken curry which I cooked last Thursday, based on the recipe in Mrs Leong Yee Soo's Best of Singapore Cooking cookbook, recipe has already been posted here

I have cooked this dish many times in the past as I prefer this curry recipe to the other curry recipes which I have tried. Each time I always add in lots of tamarind juice and freshly-squeezed lemon juice, because that is what I like about this curry, it has a lemony tangy taste in addition to a rich nutty taste from the candlenuts. And if you like it hot and spicy, you can always add in the spiciest chilli sauce on the market. I used to add 1 tablespoonful of ABC extra-hot chilli sauce which gave it an extra punch and 1 tablespoonful of thai garlic chilli sauce to balance out the spiciness, but this time round as I ran out of the ABC extra-hot chilli sauce, so I added the thai Sriracha chilli sauce instead. If you find the chilli sauce too hot for your palate, then just add in more coconut milk to reduce the spiciness, that is the beauty of making curry, you can always adjust it to taste by adding more coconut milk or water. :) 


In the past, I had neither the time nor the opportunity to take step-by-step pictures while I prepared my curry dishes, this was the best opportunity I had so far. :)




I am submitting this dish to the Little Thumbs Up event hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders at this link, organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite D.I.Y.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    Your Nonya lemon chicken curry looks great! I'm always a big fan of nonya style cooking :D

    I like Mrs Leong's recipes too and have a few of her books. Knowing that I like Mrs Leong, my husband recently gave me the older edition of her books but I actually the current ones with nicer pictures :P

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine is the old hardcover version which I bought as a brand new copy from Kinokuniya 2-3 years ago. I was looking high and low for this version all over SIngapore, I went to several bookshops and Kinokuniya was the only place that sold it as a single copy at that time.

      I know the publisher Marshall Cavendish divided the book into separate 6 or 7 versions such as hawker delights, nonya specialties and festiva cooking etc. I find it very mercenary of them to divide 1 book into 6-7 books and make 6-7 times the money! I was very lucky to get the original copy for about 38 SGD, it is a pretty thick book with nice pictorial illustrations !

      Delete
  2. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJune 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

    Hi Miss B,
    At first look, I told myself that I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I like the way you made...
    I think Perfect Recipe i saw today on your Blog...
    Thanks for sharing with us...

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails