Thursday, June 6, 2013

Is this what you called Singapore Noodles? (Little Thumbs Up)

I was pondering whether I should put up this post. I had to serve dinner quickly, so I was given literally a split second to snap a photo just before serving to my very hungry family members, and hence the photo turned out to be quite sloppy. I hope you see what I was trying to serve. :)



Anyway, this was what I tried to re-create, based on what I have eaten at chinese restaurants in Belgium, they call it "Singapore Noodles". BUT, here is a big BUT, I used egg noodles instead of bee hoon (chinese rice vermicelli) because I only realised I ran out of rice vermicelli when I had all the chopped ingredients ready and was about to start frying. Moral of the story, always check you have everything before you start! Since I have already baked my own char siew just for this dish, there was no turning back, unless I make fried rice instead. Luckily, I still had 2 packets of egg noodles I bought from ALDI, that was the saving grace for today :)

By the way, in case you are not from Singapore, this dish does not originate from Singapore! We, in Singapore, do have something called 星洲米粉 (xinzhou mifen) but that is not fried with curry powder. When I first ate this noodle dish in Belgium, I was aghast, and I told the restaurant owner I am from Singapore but I have never tasted anything like that. He gave me a very sheepish answer, oh that was how I was taught to cook this dish. Apparently almost chinese restaurants overseas serve "Singapore Noodles" with curry powder and it is apparently quite a famous dish, even more famous than our world-famous Hainanese Chicken Rice, which of course the overseas chinese restaurants run by non-Singaporeans will never be able to replicate. :p

Reminds me of the noodle dish 香港面 (Hong Kong noodles) which I always order at tze-char stalls in Singapore coffee shops. I think Hongkongers will laugh at us if we try to order Hong Kong noodles in Hong Kong, there is probably no such dish there. :p


Recipe adapted from Sunflower Food Galores

(For 4 servings)
Ingredients
2 eggs
300g egg noodles (should use rice vermicelli)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder (ready-made)
1 - 1.5 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sauce from char siew
200g char siew, thinly sliced
100g prawns, shelled and deveined (forgot to add)
1 carrot, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
cooking oil

Method
1. Cook the egg noodles in boiling water according to packaging instructions (for 4 min), remove and drain in colander. Then rinse with cold tap water and drain again. Set aside for use later.

2. Drizzle 1 tsp of cooking oil in a hot frying pan and fry the beaten eggs into an omelette. Remove and cut into strips, set aside for use later.

3. Add 2 tbsp oil in hot frying pan, add in garlic and onions and fry till fragrant. Then add in chopped chilli, prawns, char siew (together with char siew sauce) and fry till the prawns turn pinkish.

4. Add in the egg noodles and julienned carrots, and try to loosen the noodles in the pan. 

5. Add in curry powder, light soya sauce and oyster sauce, keep stirring and tossing until everything is well-mixed, making sure that the noodles and ingredients do not stick to the pan. Drizzle a little cooking oil if necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve the dish while still hot.

Verdict:
Surprisingly, this dish turned out to be quite nice. I tried not to make it too spicy for my 2 small kids, so I only added 1 tbsp curry powder, but my hubby said it was not spicy and quite tasty. Next time I should try it with the real thing, bee hoon aka rice vermicelli. :)


I am submitting this dish to the Little Thumbs Up event (curry powder / curry paste) hosted by myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders at this link, and organized by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite D.I.Y.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B, your Singapore noodle looks yummy. I love to order Singapore noodle when I am away. Like the curry powder in the noodle and some places also use egg noodle instead of beehoon:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lian,
      Oh, do they ever serve Singapore Noodles with egg noodles too? And where have you eaten your Singapore Noodles?

      Delete
    2. Yes, they do. I can't remember exactly where but very sure it was in the States, mid west. The best Singapore noodle I have eaten is in an Indonesian restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. Btw, I miss the mussels and chips in Brussels.

      Delete
  2. You're so right. Every Chinese resto in Belgium with the "Singapore noodle" on the menu card, cooks up exactly the same and so distinct, with the curry powder added. I did order out of curiosity the first time, but I swore that that cannot be the real McCoy. Anyway, the char siew in the beehoon was what I went for :-D I think they also included beansprouts.

    Your platter looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it usually comes with beansprouts, but I don't like to add beansprouts in my food, always have to first pluck the roots away, and that takes up a tremendous amount of time, so I seldom buy them here..
      And dun get me started on Belgium Chinese food, their nasi goreng is also far off from the real McCoy, it's not spicy at all. My hubby likes to order nasi goreng special, that is just Chinese fried rice with fried egg sunny side up and 2 fried chicken fritters.

      Delete
    2. Due to the influence from Indonesia, almost all Chinese restaurants in Belgium and Netherlands have dishes with Malay/Indonesian names on the menu. I sometimes wonder if the owners (who usually hail from mainland China or HK) understand the meanings of those dishes, or they just cook them according to how their predecessors taught them. Why do they have to call chinese fried rice "nasi goreng" and chinese fried noodles "mee goreng"? Luckily I have yet to see "nasi lemak" being "raped" on the menu, haha.

      Delete
    3. LOL! And not forgetting babi panggang, loempia, bami goreng... all indonesian coined names - definitely, Indonesian/Dutch influenced.

      Btw, will be submitting another curry entry soon :-D

      Delete
  3. I do think "Singapore noodles" originated from HK. I live in Canada and was stumped when I saw this on the menu in Chinese restaurants here! Guess what, soon enough we were making our version at home! Easy and quite palatable. And we know Hainanese Chicken rice originated in Penang, not SG. As did Char Koay Teow which btw, is one of the most difficult recipes to replicate at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks for your comments. Good to know that Singapore Noodles originated from HK!

      But I am quite sure Hainanese Chicken Rice originated from Singapore, that is quite undisputable, at least Singapore has the most number of chicken rice stalls per capita. As for Char Kway Teow, I know Singapore's style of CKT is different from Penang style, so you can't really compare them, since we should be comparing apple to apple and not apple to orange. You should check out Dr Tay's blog post here :) http://ieatishootipost.sg/2011/10/top-ten-things-to-eat-in-singapore.html

      Delete
  4. Miss B, I love this singapore noodles!!! I have bookmarked it :)
    Will cook some curry dish to support you, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther,
      Thanks for your support and look forward to your curry dish! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Miss B,

    Funny that the Aussie and the Americans are eating these Singapore noodles with curry powder which I don't recall eating these when I was growing up in Singapore. You know what??? Now that we are living in Melbourne, for some strange reason, we like eating Singapore noodles too.

    Your Singapore noodles look great!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails