Sunday, May 26, 2013

Stir-Fried Oyster Mushrooms with Snow Peas

In case you think that our family live on steamed buns, fried buns or fondant cakes, here is a post to show you otherwise! Lovely oyster mushrooms stir-fried with snow peas, the thai way! By the way, I don't usually take pictures and post what we eat for dinner even if it is something new, bcos dinner time is always such a mad rush that it is nearly impossible for me to cook and take pictures at the same time. The kids are always crying either bcos they are hungry or bcos they are fighting over toys, so I am usually not in a very pleasant mood while making dinner. :)

Now back to this dish, the original recipe used green asperagus, but green asperagus is apparently quite rare in Belgium, the supermarts here usually sell the white ones. Even if I manage to find green asperagus, it is so horrendously expensive that I sometimes wonder if it is considered a delicacy here. Anyway, I swopped asperagus with snow peas which was also quite expensive, 250g cost 2,50 euro which meant that 1 kg cost 10 euro? Even imported chinese pak choy at 3,30 euro per kg costs cheaper than snow peas!

Anyway, this is really quite an easy and delicious dish. Even though snow peas are expensive, I don't mind buying them regularly to stir-fry with oyster mushrooms. 

Can you see the smoke from the dish? No time to take foto, just point and shoot, and off it went on the dining table!

Recipe adapted from ThaiFood&Travel

Ingredients
250g oyster mushrooms, shredded into small pieces
250g snow peas (replacing green asperagus)
15 big prawns, shelled and deveined

2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine (or sherry)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp thai fish sauce
pinch of pepper to taste
pinch of sugar to taste

Method
1. Heat up a wok over high heat until it is smoking. Add 2-3 tbsp cooking oil, and swirl the wok with oil to coat the surface. 

2. Add in garlic followed by prawns and stir-fry for 30 sec until the prawns start to turn pink.

3. Add in the snow peas and oyster mushrooms and continue to stir-fry.

4. Add in the seasonings (chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, thai fish sauce) and stir well, make sure that veggies are well-coated.

5. Sprinkle with a dash of pepper and sugar to taste. When the veggies are cooked, remove from heat and serve warm with rice.



I am submitting this dish to the Little Thumbs Up event (Mushrooms) hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours at this link, organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite DIY.

6 comments:

  1. A simple and lovely stir-fry dish! Wow, the snow peas is that expensive over there? A couple of weeks ago, I bought a packet from Tesco for only RM1.99 and the offer was, buy 1 packet, and get 1 more packet free. So I got two packets home for only RM1.99!
    Thank you for linking to LTU! Looking forward to the curry theme next month!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stir fry vegetables are one of my usual go to dish at home, easy, healthy and delicious:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B,

    Funny that you said that your family don't just live steam buns, steamed cake and fondant cakes - LOL! I don't usually post most of our dinner food unless it is something unusual. Our dinner are usually something simple with seasonal ingredients. We love snow peas too and usually eat them at September and October which is our Spring season.

    Btw, the book that I'm using to bake my pumpkin loaf is the orange book that Lena bought for me, http://bakeforhappykids.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/qq-cornflour-bread-and-korean-buckwheat.html

    For this trip, I have brought back a few Carol's books and I think I have the bread and noodle book that you are referring. Like you, all I need is time to read, translate and bake :p

    Can't wait for the curry month to start.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this simple, flavourful and healthy dish! Am very much in love with oyster mushrooms. And I am looking forwards to your LTU event next month because I love curry. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, yes snow peas are really exp, but that is not the only expensive vegetable in Europe, haha!

    Jeannie, yes I am surprised that this is so simple and good, I usually stir-fry the usual "cheap" veggies here, broccoli and carrots, hehe...

    Zoe, I am already suffering from bao overload, can't wait for curry event to start too.

    Phong Hong, dun just support the curry event, you must also support my bao event ok, still a few days more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Miss B. This is something different from your usual posts :-D
    I love oyster mushrooms! I never pay attention to the price, but now that you mentioned the pricetag of these snow peas, they are pricey. I always have the usual veg in my fridge - cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots and once in a while, chinese cabbage and french beans.

    Your stir fry looks yummy - simple and straightforward :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails