Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Korean Seaweed Egg Drop Somen Noodle Soup (韩式紫菜蛋花素面汤)

I like to cook porridge or noodles for my lunch, I dun like to eat bread everyday for lunch. I know people in Europe have bread for breakfast, lunch and sometimes even dinner. But I didn't grow up in Europe, and even though I have been here for years, I can't bring myself to eat bread everyday for lunch. Breads in Asia are only meant for breakfast and tea time, and if you eat bread for lunch or dinner, unless you are eating some expensive SubWay sandwiches which cost about the price of 2 plates of chicken rice or more, otherwise people will laugh at you for being poor, cos only poor people have bread for lunch and dinner. Seriously. But I am not worried of being laughed at, who cares? I just want to have something warm for lunch, that's all.

Anyway, it's difficult to cook for 1 person at lunch time, so I sometimes eat noodles because it is quick and easy. I know eating too much instant noodles is not good for your health, so I try to stick to healthier japanese somen noodles (素面) or buckwheat noodles (乔麦面). But these types of noodles don't taste good when you cook them plain, unless you cook them in a soup base. Then I came across this dish in Aeri's Kitchen, which inspired me to cook somen noodles in seaweed soup. It was actually a seaweed egg drop soup, but I adapted the recipe such that it became a seaweed egg drop AND noodle soup. This is a very simple yet nourishing noodle soup which I have made almost everyday for the past 2 weeks, so much so that I can already close 2 eyes while cooking and whip up the dish within 10 min. I never get tired of it. If you like seaweed and noodles, this is the perfect 10 min dish for your lunch. 



To help me remember this recipe, I keep to the 3-sheets/3-cups/3-minutes rule, i.e. use 3 sheets of nori seaweed, 3 cups of water, once water starts boiling, throw in the seaweed and cook for 3 min on medium-high. Then after 3 min, drizzle the egg mixture and cook for another 3 min or more until the noodles are cooked. It will take you about 10 min from start to end. :)

Here is my adapted recipe from my favourite korean website, Aeri's Kitchen.

For 1 serving only

Basic Ingredients 
3 sheets dried seaweed (yaki nori / 紫菜)
3 cups water *
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp minced garlic (I sometimes omit this bcos I am lazy)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/4 tsp salt

*may need to increase to 3.5 cups if adding a lot of noodles or ingredients

Extra Ingredients (特别好料)
3 surimi crabsticks (frozen) 
5 fishballs (frozen), or other seafood
some japanese somen noodles or instant noodles

1. In a pot, add 3 cups of water and boil it on HIGH heat. Then cut or tear the 3 sheets of dried seaweed into bite-size pieces. Beat the egg well and set aside first. (If you are adding frozen seafood such as fishballs or prawns, you can throw them into the pot right at the very beginning to cook and give the soup a better flavour. You can add fresh minced meat also. Surimi crabsticks are best left till later, as they cook very easily.)

2. Once water starts boiling, add the seaweed. Add 1 tbsp of light soya sauce and 1 tsp minced garlic. Cook for 3 min on Medium-High. (Add in the surimi crabsticks at this stage. If you are adding noodles that take longer to cook, add them in now. )

3. After 3 min, slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the soup. Wait for few seconds then stir it gently with chopsticks or fork. Add in the somen noodles now. Cook for another 3 min on Medium-High. (Somen noodles take 3-4 min whereas buckwheat noodles can take 5-6 min which means you have to add them earlier, always check the instructions of your noodles packaging.)

4. Just before serving, adjust to taste by adding 1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt and drizzle some sesame oil. (I like sesame oil, so I added 1 tbsp instead of 1 tsp). 

Smakelijk eten allemaal :)

5 comments:

  1. What a nice looking soup! I like that extra ingredients combo, good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look so good:) thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melgie,
      This seaweed noodle soup is simple yet delicious, do give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Bee,
    This looks simple yet so delicious!
    Like the 3x3x3 rules!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, quick, simple and delicious. The 3-3-3 rule is a quick way to help me to remember this recipe :)

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails