Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pasta with Smoked Salmon, Feta Cheese, Tomatoes and Cucumber


This is a absolutely delicious pasta, I have made it twice and I am gonna make it over and over again in the future. My hubby loves it and he was raving about it the other day when I prepared it, so I decide to make it again today so that I can take some pictures. 

The combination of smoked salmon and greek feta cheese (both salty), together with cherry tomatoes (sweet), cucumber (crunchy) and apple cider vinegar (sour) makes it a very wholesome and appetizing dish. Just look at the colours and you will know that it packs in a whole lot of vitamins and nutrients, isn't it? 

This is something you can easily prepare within 10 to 15 min, easy peasy. Really suitable for dinner after a long day's work since there is no need to fuss around in the kitchen. It just took me 8 min to cook the spirelli to al-dente and a couple of minutes more to chop up the rest of the ingredients to bite-size. You don't have to cook the veggies, just throw them in together with the feta cheese and smoked salmon, drizzle with the vinaigrette and voila, the pasta is ready!

This pasta is actually more suited as a cold dish in summer, but you can eat it all year round. In fact, I prepared it as a warm dish for dinner today. Well only the pasta is lukewarm, the rest of the ingredients are cold from the fridge. It was meant for 4 to 5 servings so there was a lot of leftover for tomorrow which I can choose to eat it cold from the fridge or warm it up in microwave for lunch.


Recipe adapted from Hof Van Eten (recipe in Dutch)

Ingredients
400g pasta, preferably spirelli or penne
250 - 300g smoked salmon
200g greek feta cheese
1 big cucumber
200g cherry tomatoes
some finely chopped fresh dille (optional)

* For the vinaigrette:
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar (original recipe used white wine vinegar)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp white pepper


Method
1. Cook the pasta in a big pot of slightly salted boiling water for about 7 to 8 minutes or until al-dente. Then drain the boiling water, rinse the pasta under cold water and allow it to drain and cool in a colander.

2. Cut the smoked salmon, greek feta cheese and cucumber into small bite-size blocks.

3. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters if they are large.

4. Put everything together (salmon, feta cheese, cucumber, tomatoes and pasta) and mix thoroughly.

5. To prepare the vinaigrette, simply mix about 3 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Then drizzle the vinaigrette onto the pasta and mix thoroughly. Finally sprinkle some fresh dille (optional) and we are ready to serve.

* Note : The quantity of olive oil and vinegar is just my estimate, you can adjust accordingly based on your own preference. I think that 1/4 tsp salt should be enough since the salmon and feta cheese already gave the pasta a salty flavour.



Photobucket

I am submitting this dish to the Little Thumbs Up event (March: Tomatoes) organized by Mui Mui of my little favourite DIY at this link, and Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids

This dish was actually posted on 1 Mar (Singapore time), which happened to be 28 Feb night (belgian time). I have switched back to belgian timezone for my blog, without realising that I have caused the blog post to be shifted from 1 Mar to 28 Feb, haha! My blog used to be in Singapore timezone for a while for a baking bloghop event. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bee,
    Lovely pasta dish.
    Love the added smoked salmon , cheese, tomato and cucumber. I know my kids will love this.

    Could you please link you lovely pasta dish to LIttle Thumbs Up event which start on 5 March, theme : tomato ...stay tune ya: )
    Have a lovely weekend!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui,
      Sure I will do that! I thought I was too early for your theme and my dish was not just with tomatoes, so it skipped my mind about submitting :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Bee,
      I am glad you linked your post to LTU event.
      Thanks dear!!

      mui

      Delete
  2. That pasta dish looks healthy and so colorful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails