Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chocolate Fudge Birthday Cake


This is a chocolate fudge cake I baked on Monday and decorated yesterday. I wasn't very happy with how I did the ganache, in fact I did it right the first time, it was quite flawless, I should have taken a picture of it. But being a perfectionist, I wanted to do it even better, so I thought of the idea of  warming up the cake in the microwave so that I could re-apply the ganache and make it even smoother, needless to say, it became worse and worse. :)



1st lesson of the day: don't be a smart aleck!
2nd lesson of the day: 见好就收! (stop when it is good)
3rd lesson of the day: don't sweat over small stuff!



So I covered it up with sponge fingers at the sides and sprinkled some icing sugar over the pencil stencil to cover the not-so-smooth ganache. But in the end the paper stencil wasn't done nicely either, the paper shifted and everything went haywire, haha. I must be getting old and senile!



Chocolate Fudge Cake is so troublesome and messy, I wonder whether I will attempt it again?

Recipe adapted from Aunty Yochana's Chocolate Fudge Cake, baked in a 8-inch springform. There is this good video from JoyOfBaking on how to cover a cake with ganache, do watch it before you start.

4 comments:

  1. Aww...still looks cute :)
    That can be the problem with ganache - it can set too quickly leaving a not so perfect looking finish. I do believe a took a hairdryer to a white choc ganache covered cake once - the topping was setting in blobs. Yup, I over blasted it and the ganache was running and dripping off the cake! Aiyaahhhhhhh! hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hairdryer? Good idea, how come I never thought of that? :p

      Actually I was over-confident in the beginning. There was plenty of ganache, but i chose to pour all over the top at one go, should have left some to cover up blemishes. Then I microwaved the cake, hoping the ganache will soften and melt a little. I also used a knife dipped in hot water, the ganache did melt after trying both microwave and hot knife, but it was not easy to smooth it as it has already been set, the more I did it, the worst it became. :S

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, I covered up all the blemishes, hehe. It was ugly originally :)

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails