Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cranberry Cornflakes Cookies

Yet another batch of CNY cookies. This is not the traditional type, but something interesting I saw from blog-hopping. I told you in my previous post I still have leftover dried cranberries, so I searched through the baking blogs in my Google Reader and ended up on HHB's blog post. HHB's Cranberry Cornflakes Cookies looked very enticing, so I decided to combine the leftover dried cranberries with the half-opened bag of cornflakes to make these lovely cookies.


Indeed, as what she said, the steps were very straightforward and the end result was fantastic! The cookies were crunchy due to the baked cornflakes and yet sweet, tangy and chewy due to the dried cranberries. You can replace cranberries with raisins or sultanas and they will be just as fantastic. I like to think of this as a healthy cookie, since it contains both cornflakes and cranberries, hence very suitable for small kids. In fact, my toddler was crunching non-stop on these cookies. Thanks to HHB, this recipe is a keeper, I love it and I am gonna make them again for myself and my kiddies. :)

I didn't use any mini paperliners since I didn't have any of that size so I just placed these cookies on baking paper and off they went into the oven. Oh, I actually made about 50 cookies in total, each about 8 to 10 grams in weight. Yes, I actually shaped and weighed each and every cookie. You see, I am always very precise when it comes to baking. But truth be told, I found 7 grams too small and I thought it was pretty difficult to stick to 8 grams each time, as the cornflakes and cranberries would stick to the dough, so my cookies range from 8 to 10 grams each. Not to worry, the dough was pretty easy to handle. 


Recipe source : Adapted from Happy Home Baker, makes 50 cookies of 8 to 10g each.

Ingredients
120g unsalted butter, cut into cubes @room temp
pinch of salt
50g icing sugar, sifted
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
135g plain flour, sifted
30g corn flour, sifted
100g plain corn flakes, coarsely crushed
80g dried cranberries, cut into smaller pieces

Method
1. Place the cornflakes in a plastic bag and crush them slightly and set aside. Do not crush until too fine. Cut dried cranberries into small pieces and set aside

2. Place the unsalted butter and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Add in sifted icing sugar and beat using a electric whisk until the mixture turns pale yellow. You may also use a manual whisk, wooden spoon or spatula.

3. Add in the beaten egg yolks and whisk until well-combined.

4. Using a spatula, fold in the sifted plain flour and corn flour into the mixture until it it is well-combined.

5. Add in crushed cornflakes and cut dried cranberries and mix well with wooden spoon or spatula.

6. Measure 8 to 10 grams of dough, roughly shape each piece into a small ball and place the cookies evenly spaced on a greased baking paper on the baking tray. You may also place each cookie into a mini paper liner. Note the cookies did not expand much during baking and I managed to squeeze all 50 of them in one tray.

7. Bake them in a preheated oven at 140 degrees celsius and bake for 25 min until light brown. Do check the cookies at 20 min to prevent over-browning.

8. When the cookies are baked, remove from oven and leave them to cool completely on a cooling rack, before packing them in an air-tight container.

According to HHB, the cornflakes may taste a little chewy/soft when they are still warm but they will turn crispy upon cooling => This is indeed true, I tried them when they were still warm and they tasted more chewy and soft but they became crispy and crunchy upon cooling. :)

 
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.



3 comments:

  1. yummy! i love cornflakes cookies
    i ever made with lemon juice and it's great
    i shall try with cranberries this time :)
    Happy Chinese New Year to u and family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice
      Cornflakes cookies made with lemon juice, that sounds great. :)
      Happy Chinese New Year to u and ur family too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bee,

    My boys will jump on me if i make this cornflakes cookies for them.
    Thank for sharing this :)

    mui

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails