What a hectic morning! I just finished steaming this banana cake, or what they call Apam Pisang in Malay. It is incredibly soft, fluffy and moist. Really delicious banana cake recipe. I have failed terribly for a previous steamed banana cake recipe (nothing wrong with that recipe, but probably my skills was not as good as the blogger) so I was both hopeful and yet afraid of throwing another cake to the chickens again.
But this cake is really easy, in my opinion. You just have to beat the sugar and eggs together, add the melted butter and fold in the sifted flour mixture. And steam on high heat for 45 to 50 min. Voila, a soft, fluffy, moist and delicious steamed banana cake awaits you in the steamer! Now I have another good banana cake recipe in addition to my favorite baked banana cake.
|How the cake looks like, fresh from the steamer.|
Steamed Banana Cake / Apam Pisang adapted from HomeKreation
170g melted butter or vegetable oil (or mixture of butter and oil)
300g bananas (weighed without skin) *
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
* depending on how big your bananas are, I used two to three super-big bananas.
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big bowl, set aside. Melt the butter in a pot (or microwave at HIGH for 1 min) and set aside to cool. Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl and set aside.
2. Using cake-mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale-yellow.
3. Add in melted butter/oil, mix well using a spatula.
4. Add in mashed bananas, mix well using a spatula.
5. Finally fold in sifted flour mixture using a spatula.
6. Prepare the steamer 10 minutes in advance and make sure the water is boiling before you put in the cake. Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased 8-inch round cake pan and steam at HIGH heat for 45 to 50 min. I lined the base of my cake pan with baking paper and greased both the base and the sides with baking spray.
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012), hosted by none other than myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders. :)
[28 Jan 2013] Note to self :
Cake can be made without cake-mixer as shown here. Steps amended as follows:
2. Add in beaten eggs to the batter from (1), and mix well using a manual whisk or spatula.
3. Add in mashed bananas, mix well using a spatula.
4. Finally fold in sifted flour mixture using a spatula.
5. Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased 8-inch round cake pan and steam in a preheated steamer at HIGH heat for 45 to 50 min.
[6 Mar 2013]
Made the same recipe but cooked in a rice cooker.