Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Friday, November 23, 2012

Pumpkin Huat Kuehs/Steamed Pumpkin Muffins (Aspiring Bakers #25)

It's the time of the year again, my fridge is loaded with lots of pumpkin and I dunno what to do with them! A friend gave us one-fifth of a super-big home-grown pumpkin last weekend, that was nearly 2 kilos of pumpkin flesh after removing the skin. I took the opportunity to cook some hokkien pumpkin rice, after which I still had plenty of pumpkin remaining, so I decided to steam some pumpkin huat kuehs (or steamed pumpkin muffins) which I hadn't eaten for quite a while. The last time I made them was more than a year ago on 13 October 2011. How time flies!

This recipe is the same recipe which I have always used for my pumpkin huat kuehs. The only difference is that this time round, I used smaller paper muffin cups instead of porcelain cups and I scooped 3 tbsp instead of 4 tbsp of batter into each cup. That made a total of 9 mini pumpkin huat kuehs instead of 5. And I actually remembered to make a cross on the batter using a pair of scissors. Not that it made a difference though. My pumpkin huat kuehs rose and broke into a smile but not spectacularly. :)


Recipe adapted from my previous post, but reproduced here for easy reference. Makes 8 to 9 mini huat kuehs.

INGREDIENTS 
Dough Starter
50g sifted plain flour
50g water
1 tsp dry yeast

Batter
320g sifted plain flour
2 tsp double action baking powder
200g pumpkin, peeled, cut, steamed and mashed with fork 
100ml coconut milk
50ml water
120g brown sugar/gula melaka (reduced from 140g)
1 egg

METHOD
1. Dough Starter : Mix all starter ingredients in a bowl and set aside to proof for 30 min.

2. Batter : 

a) Sift the dry ingredients (plain flour and double action baking powder) in a bowl. 

b) Put mashed pumpkin, coconut milk, water, brown sugar, and eggs in mixer and mix well. (You can also mix it using a handwhisk.)

c) Remove from mixer, fold in the dry ingredients (flour and B.P.) and dough starter using a spatula until well-blended. Do not over-mix else the huat kueh will become dense.

3. Line the aluminium cups with paper muffin cups and pour batter into cups til 90% full and set aside for 15 min to proof. After proofing, before placing them into the steamer, use a greased knife or scissors to make the sign of a cross on top of the batter in each cup. 

4. Meanwhile, prepare a steamer and let the water come to boil over high heat. When the steamer is ready, put the cups into the steamer and steam over high heat for 15 min. 


I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012), hosted by none other than myself, Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    I see you have been VERY VERY busy steaming full speed ahead! Ha ha ha!

    BTW, just to let you know that I took on your offer and steamed a sponge cake. Here's the link

    http://nasifriet.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/steamed-lemon-honey-cranberry-sponge-cake-with-lemon-and-ginger-syrup/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am trying out so many steamed cakes this month that I am running out of steam! In fact, I steamed a total of 2 chocolate lava ricecooker cakes, 5 steamed moist chocolate cakes, 1 green tea ricecooker cake, 3 steamed moist banana cakes and 1 batch of pumpkin huat kuehs. Luckily almost all of them were given to friends, otherwise I can't imagine what would happen to my waistline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy oh so yummy Miss B, i'm now in love with pumpkin and craving for one of ur muffin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These pumpkin huat kuehs were really quite easy and tasty, even though it was difficult for me to make them break into a smile, bcos they contained pumpkin and not so light and airy as normal huat kuehs. Just make sure you dun stir and mix too much, else the huat kuehs will become very dense and chewy.

      Delete
  4. This looks yummy miss B. I always have pumpkin and will surely try this someday, already bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails