Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Nov 2012)

[Updated on 1 December 2012]

The event "Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Nov 2012)" has finally come to a beautiful end. Thanks to the enthusiastic participation of fellow bloggers who unreservedly shared with us their steamed cake recipes, we now have a repertoire of 50 steamed cake recipes!

I hope you have had as much fun as I did steaming the cakes, or admiring them. If you have yet to try steaming a cake, perhaps this would be a good starting point. Thank you once again for joining this event. Hope to see you gals at the next AB event hosted by me, stay tuned. :)

[End of update]

Dag iedereen,

That's the Dutch way of saying 'Hello everyone'.

Welcome to my humble blog! I will be hosting this month's Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012). Many thanks to Small Small Baker for giving me this opportunity to host this event.

Talking about steamed cakes, I am sure some of you, especially bakers from Asia, would have tried their hands at least once at steaming cakes in a steamer; be it a bamboo dim sum steamer, an electronic multi-tiered steamer or a metallic stacked steamer. Steaming cakes used to be the norm in Asia many years ago when the convection oven was still very expensive and considered a luxury item in the kitchen. Even up till today, there are still many households in Asia which do not own an oven. But nowadays things have changed, and many asian households make more cakes using an oven than using a steamer.

Cake steamed using a steamer

Besides steaming cakes in a steamer, have you ever tried steaming cakes in a ricecooker? Your ricecooker need not be one equipped with a built-in baking function. My little Toshiba doesn't have such a cake baking function, yet I have used it a few times to steam cakes successfully. You just need to fiddle around and experiment with the various functions of your ricecooker to get to know it better and then try steaming a cake using a tried-and-tested recipe.  Steaming cakes in a ricecooker is very easy, not to mention that ricecooker cakes taste as good or even better than oven-baked cakes. For a start, I will show you a simple recipe on how to bake steam a cake using a ricecooker.

Cake steamed using a ricecooker

The category of steamed cakes is not all-encompassing. For the purpose of the theme for this month's Aspiring Bakers, which is Steaming Hot Cakes, we only accept cakes which are steamed in a steamer, wok/pot or ricecooker. Cakes which are baked in a oven, including steam-baked cakes are strictly not accepted.

To summarise, we accept cakes of the following categories:
1) cakes steamed in steamers, woks or pots
2) cakes steamed in ricecookers
3) steamed muffins, cupcakes, brownies
4) steamed mini sponge cakes/puteri ayu
5) steamed huat kueh/fa gao/wah ko kueh
6) steamed egg cake/ji dan gao/kueh neng ko
7) steamed malay cake/ma la gao/apam
8) steamed honeycomb cake


We do not accept cakes which are
1) steam-baked in an oven, since this involves the use of an oven.

2) made in a microwave oven.

3) steamed baos or breads (this will be featured as a separate theme in the future).

4) kuehs even though they may have been steamed as we want to avoid too much overlap with a previously featured theme. Kuehs have already been featured under the Traditional Kueh theme in Oct 2011. Basically anything that has a kueh-like texture will not be accepted, for instance 9-layer kueh lapis, png kueh, ang ku kueh, tapioca kueh just to name a few. I know this maybe a bone of contention for some bloggers, since strictly speaking, huat kueh, ji dan gao, ma lai gao and honeycomb cakes are also considered kuehs, but let's draw the line here.

5) savoury chinese steamed kuehs such as pumpkin cake, carrot cake/chai tao kueh and yam cake (the same reasoning as given in point 4).


Who can join?
Everybody, whether you have a blog or not, just as long as you fulfill the requirements.

a) If you have a blog, which makes things easier, just submit using the inlinkz tool below by clicking on the "Add your link" icon.

b) For those who do not have a blog, just email your recipe with the title "Aspiring Bakers #25" and send to everybodyeatswell[at]gmail[dot]com in the following format:                     
Your name or nickname: 
Name of your bake:
URL or attachment of your photo (one photo for each entry):

(If you are attaching a photo in your email, pls limit the photo size to 500kb).


How to join?
Step 1
Steam any cake in the month of November 2012. You may submit more than 1 entry.

Step 2
Post it on your blog between 01 November 2012 to 30 November 2012.
Your post must include the recipe or link to the original recipe. If you are using a recipe from a book, please include the title and author of the book too.
Any entries that are posted outside the date range will not be accepted.
Any entries that do not include a recipe or link to the original recipe will not be accepted too.

Step 3
Please mention that you are submitting your post to Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and provide a link back to this post HERE.
Entries will not be accepted if the above is not included. 

Step 4
- Click on "Add your link" icon below.
- Enter the URL of your blog post, the name of your steamed cake, and your email (will not be visible to the public).
- Insert an image of your dish.
- Done! Your entry will appear immediately.

So what are you still waiting for? Fai ti lah, mai tu liao...join us now!!!

Small Small Baker/Aspiring Bakers


If you wanna participate in the next Aspiring Bakers event, hop on to Aspiring Bakers #26 - Creative Christmas Motif Bakes hosted by Alan of TravellingFoodies.

If you are interested in the previous Aspiring Bakers event, hop on to Aspiring Bakers #24 - Jellies and Puddings hosted by MiMi Bakery House.

32 comments:

  1. arh... steaming... hehehehe... let me go dig up some of my cookbooks to see if i have any "steamed" recipes... hopefully to post up 1 entry sooon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi

      You already have one steamed ladybug cupcake recipe posted by another blogger! =)

      Delete
    2. hehehe, that recipe was tried last month... jus submitted one...:)

      Delete
  2. Steaming with rice cooker really new to me. Nice cake you have. This month theme remind me of not making steamed cake for quite sometimes. Need to steam some cake and support this month AB. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian Pang
      Welcome to my blog. Look forward to your participation. :)

      Delete
  3. hi Miss B, is using happycall allowed? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      I have heard of the hype surrounding happycall pans, but I'm still trying to get my hands on one. (look how outdated I have become by not living in Singapore). Are the cakes cooked based on the principle of steaming if you use happycall pans? If yes, then I don't see any reason not to accept it. Pls share your happycall cake recipe. :)

      Delete
    2. yes, it's steaming method, will share soon, should be my last one :P

      Delete
  4. oh btw, I just emailed u my first post for this month AB, sorry but I couldnt find the inlinkz tool here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      Welcome and thank you for your particpation :) I have submitted on your behalf.

      Are you unable to see the inlinkz tool on your browser? What browser are you using? The inlinkz icon "Add your link" is located just below the last entry submitted. Can you see the words "Submissions close in xxd xxh xxmin, Link tool by inlinz.com?

      Delete
    2. i just posted my third steamed cake
      today i saw the link, finally - thks :)

      Delete
  5. I've yet to try steaming a cake. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah,
      Welcome to my blog! Steamed cakes are very easy to make and healthy too. Do try it and hope to see your recipe entry soon. :)

      Delete
  6. I never updated my blog for years, but I would love to join this! I made steamed cakes two days back and I have some photos too. Let's see if I can update my blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss B
    This is cool! If I have time to steam a cake this month, will post that on my blog as submission of my entry to the Aspiring Bakers #25, otherwise, well... we'll see. Will keep you posted. I have a cake in mind, but will need to see if it works by steaming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasifriet,
      Take your time, no hurry. Still 19 more days to go. :)

      Delete
  8. I did it! Yaaay!
    I just added my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Thank you for your participation in Steaming Hot Cakes!

      Delete
  9. I entered Miss B!
    Did the blog, the Add Linkz too!
    Alas - not a good entry *Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Plumleaf!
      Your steamed cakes look very good! Dun worry about failing. Baking, or rather steaming, is a constant learning process. I have failed a couple of times in steaming cakes such as puteri ayu, just that I didn't publish them :S

      Delete
  10. Hi,
    Just submitted my Steamed Orange Cupcakes.
    Thank you for hosting AB November 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, thank you for your participation. Just in time before the event closes tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Miss B, jus submitted my last submission for AB theme tis mth.
    Thanks for hosting this great theme this month:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charmaine,
      Thank you once again for your great support. You have submitted a total of 9 entries for this month's Aspiring Bakers! Needless to say, you top the charts! I would love to be your neighbour so that I can eat your cakes everyday. :)

      Delete
    2. Lol, sure Miss B, I'm looking for a neighbor too whom I can share my cakes too:)) my frd has moved out and nw there's no one to share n enjoy my cakes with:-p

      Delete
    3. I was wondering you make so many delicious cakes per month, who is gonna eat them? I will be in SG next month, maybe I can pop over to your house, haha. Be your temporary neighbour ;p

      Delete
    4. Lol... Sure Miss B:) u r more than welcome...:))

      Delete
  13. Hi miss B,
    Just submitted my entries. Hope they are still in the time ...
    Thanks for hosting this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annadina,
      Yes, it is still in time, less than 24 hours to go!
      Thank you for your 2 entries!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the invite to the event - sorry I did not have more time to put more effort into a steamed cake but glad I entered all the same :)
    Looking forward to the next event :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Plumleaf for your support! My next event will probably also be something related to steamed food, hehe. Just a hint. I have already reserved the theme on SSB's aspiring bakers page. ;p

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails