Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Very First Ricecooker Cake - Marble Cake

Recently, I was toying with the idea of steaming a few cakes using my ricecooker since I am gonna be the host for next month's Aspiring Bakers (let me take the chance to advertise this event) and the theme is gonna be Steaming Hot Cakes. I thought it would be great to discard the conventional notion that a cake should be baked and explore steaming a cake using an unconventional method - the humble ricecooker.

My humble 4 year old Toshiba (RC10L-MI)

However, there are not many cake recipes on the web that teach you exactly how to steam a cake using a ricecooker. I manage to find a Toshiba ricecooker pdf manual that documents how exactly to bake steam a cake using the Cook, Rapid Cook or Congee setting in a Toshiba ricecooker. That is a godsend since my Toshiba does not have a Cake function like some of the more expensive, advanced models. I also found another recipe (which I have no idea where I found it from, certainly not from Toshiba) that only says "Press Cook and allow to bake for 50-60 min". Somehow this recipe attracted my attention and I decided to give it a try since it looked pretty straightforward and I thought the instructions should be applicable for all types of ricecookers, not just Toshiba. So it was this recipe which I used yesterday to steam my very first ricecooker cake - a Chocolate Swirl Butter Cake, better known in layman terms as a Marble Cake.

Here it is, my very first (toshiba) ricecooker cake. Just look at the resultant cake when it first came out of the ricecooker, doesn't it look like some volcano crater? Haha.



But when you turn it around, it looks very nice and curvy, a beautiful dome-shaped cake. Look at the crust, isn't it beautiful? The chocolate swirl should have been more spread-out instead of being concentrated in one area, that was my mistake, as I disregarded the instructions and did what I did previously for my oven-baked marble cake. :( Otherwise this would have been a beautiful ricecooker steamed chocolate swirl butter cake.


If you look carefully enough at the picture below, you will notice that the centre of the cake (actually the top of the cake since the cake was inverted) was a bit wet. I actually had an inkling of the problem when I first opened the ricecooker, I poked the surface using my finger and noticed that the cake was firm and springy to the touch at the sides but the centre seemed to be a bit soft. But I was hard-pressed for time yesterday, this cake was actually meant to be brought to somebody's house, and I was already late for the appointment. So I just took the cake out, turned it over, and cut it into half. Indeed, the cake was a bit wet and lava-like right in the middle, about the area of a 2-cm circle, but the rest of the cake was well-cooked. I was disappointed since I couldn't bring the cake along. But tastewise, the cake was very yummy. It was sweet, moist and buttery but not crumbly, and a bit chocolaty. Honestly, it tasted just like an oven-baked marble cake. You wouldn't have guessed that this was a cake steamed in a ricecooker. The crust was especially firm and crispy and the cake tastes even better the next day.


I was pondering and hesitating whether I should publish this post at all as it was not exactly a 100 percent successful cake (on a scale of 10, i would give it an 8 to 8.5), but I thought it might be interesting to those who are learning to make cakes using their ricecookers. Furthermore I think I should also document my experience so that I can learn from my mistakes, and I can share my experience online with others. Hopefully some readers (if there is anybody reading my blog at all) will be able to feedback and give me a pointer or two, on their own experiences and how to improve this ricecooker cake recipe further.


So here is the recipe of my very first ricecooker cake, a handwritten recipe adapted from Gourmet Haven (link unknown).

Ingredients
200g butter
200 190g sugar (still too sweet for me, would like to reduce to 175g in future)
3 eggs
1 egg yolk 
190g cake flour/plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
70g melted chocolate (melted in double boiler or in microwave on High for 1 min)

Method
1. Cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
2. Mix in 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, one by one.
3. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder.
4. Fold in melted chocolate (mix a little to create a spiral effect).
5. Pour mixture into a greased rice pot.
6. Press "COOK" in the ricecooker and allow to cook for 50-60 minutes at least 60 minutes.
7. Cool the cake for a while, then flip the cake out onto a plate.

Important Notes
1. Remember to remove any remaining rice grains from the rice pot before pouring in the cake batter as you definitely don't want your cake to end up a rice cake. :)

2. Remember to grease the rice pot. No doubt the rice pot is non-stick, but you should still grease the pot slightly, no need to use too much oil/butter/baking spray as this is a butter cake which is high in fat content. It will slip out of the pot in a split second when you invert it. Use a plate to cover the top of the pot before you invert the cake. Do not use a knife to loosen the cake as you will risk damaging the non-stick surface of the rice pot.

3. Using my Toshiba RC10L-MI ricecooker, I pressed "COOK" until it beeps (9.02am->9.32am, 30 min), then I pressed "COOK" a second time until it beeps (9.32am->9.49am, 17 min), finally I pressed "RAPID COOK" until it beeps (9.49am->10.02am, 13 min), it took 60 min in total, just as expected. But the cake was still a bit wet in the middle, I should have pressed "COOK" or "RAPID COOK" again (a 4th time) when the cake was not well done in the middle after 60 min, but then I was rushing for time....

4. While the cake is steaming in the ricecooker, do not open and peep. Not until 60 minutes are over. Then you can open the ricecooker and check if it is cooked. First test with a toothpick by poking around, and then use your fingertip to press the centre of the cake to see if it is as firm as the sides. Usually the cake will be well-cooked and hence firm and springy to the touch at the sides. But if the centre of the cake is not well-cooked, it will be softer and denser than the sides. Flip the cake out into a plate and cut it into half. If the cake is not well-cooked in the centre, no worries, put the 2 halves back together, use a plate to flip it back into the ricecooker pot and press "COOK" and let it cook until it beeps. Then check using your finger again, be careful of your finger though :)

5. You know what, I was a smart-aleck. I took out half of the batter after step 3, and added the melted chocolate so that there was a portion of plain batter and another portion of chocolate batter. Then I tried to add alternating spoons of plain and chocolate batter, just like my oven-baked marble cake. But it didn't work very well for me, cos the batter was not fluid enough and I had difficulty achieving the spiral effect of a marble cake. On hind sight, I should have stuck to the original step (which I have written above) of just adding melted chocolate to the batter in step 4 and pour the whole batter into the ricecooker pot.

6. If you want something easier for a start, you can just leave out the chocolate and make a ricecooker butter cake using the same recipe. Cook for at least 1 hour. Easy peasy. :)

For more ricecooker cakes, do check out my other bakes :)
- RCC#2 - Chocolate Lava Cake
- RCC#3 - Matcha Green Tea Cake
- RCC#4 - Steamed Moist Banana Cake
- RCC#5 - Steamed Butter Cake
- RCC#6 - Moist Chocolate Cake
- RCC#7 - Japanese Castelle/Kasutera Cake


Finally, someone tried my 1st rice cooker cake, I shouldn't have dismissed this marble cake without giving it another chance, should have tried it again and cooked it longer, maybe 10 to 15 min more! 

On 7 Jan 2014,  I received an email from Alicia G who said "Hi Ms B, First of all, I would like to say thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I've tried it myself & taste real good & moist too. Btw, just to share with you the cake that I baked using your recipe with my Panasonic 5-cups rice cooker. P/S: Made a swirl but once flip over, it's gone." Thank you Alicia for your feedback, I am very very happy that you tried out my 1st rice cooker cake recipe, shows that this recipe is good but just needs more time to cook in my Toshiba! :)


28 comments:

  1. Miss B we tried this out today! Email you for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SK, thanks for your support :)
    Can't wait to see your email and fotos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nyc recipes.......now m eager to bake dis cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning on using my rice cooker to make a lemon drizzle cake today - I have an oven so it is for no other reason than I am curious how it will work. Thank you for this post it has given me confidence to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    quick question, when you say "Mix in 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, one by one."

    Does that mean you will use 3 egg whites and 1 yolk?
    Or does it mean 3 eggs and 1 yolk? (so total of 3 egg whites, and 4 yolks?)

    thanks for your help, cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi anonymous,
      I don't normally reply anonymous persons. :)
      I meant 3 full eggs and 1 yolk, meaning you will need 4 eggs in total, and you use only egg yolk from the last egg. Hope this clarifies your question. Have fun baking. :)

      Delete
  6. my rice cooker is simpler one, and it has a vent hole on its lid, can i still bake cake in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hermione,
      You never know until you try. As long as you let it cook for at least 1 hour. :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Hermione! Remind me to reply to you!

    I just whipped everything together and I also have a simple rice cooker. I'l let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi anonymous,
      Thank you for visiting my blog. Kindly leave your name (real name or nickname) in future so I know who you are, otherwise there are so many anonymous persons in this world, I won't know who I am talking to. Look forward to your feedback about this cake :)

      Delete
  8. ya..i was thinking of blocking that vent hole with something, or is that a bad idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hermione,

      It is indeed a bad idea, the vent hole exists for a purpose, to let off steam. You should not cover it, otherwise the steam has no way out during steaming.

      If your rice cooker is a simple one that has one button, you have to press that button and wait till it pops up, and if that happens before 1 hour is up, you have to press it again so that it will continue to cook.

      For a failure-proof rice cooker cake, I would suggest you try the chocolate lava cake or the green tea cake in my blog, those 2 are better than this marble cake, which I find it too wet. Otherwise you really have to cook it longer, say 1 hour 15 min or so.

      I still have to modify this recipe and try it out again for a better result.

      Delete
  9. thanks..definitely gonna make it ...its for someone's birthday!!! so excited..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ms B, I love all your posting on the rice cooker cakes. Thanks for all the wonderful sharing. Can't wait for you to explore on making rice cooker bread! will you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. MS B, Thanks for all your postings on rice cooker cakes! I'm eager to see your try out on rice cooker bread! will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Sorry I missed seeing your comment. I will try it when I find a good recipe on rice cooker bread.

      Delete
  12. Hi, can use this recipe if i want to steam it traditionally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you can, though I have not tried the traditional way. Guess you have to steam for at least 1 hour on medium-high or high heat.

      Delete
  13. I will try this one day as I also have the same rice cooker as yours. I did cook kueh teow using this rice cooker too. It's yummy... :)http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com/2012/09/rice-cooker-fried-kueh-teow.html#axzz2VPMn0aOR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy,

      Thanks for leaving me a comment. Frying kuey teow using rice cooker, that's new to me, thanks for the link.

      This recipe has to be tweaked further in terms of quantity, it doesn't cook within 1 hour. I suggest you try my rice cooker banana cake or the recently added rice cooker butter cake instead.

      Delete
  14. Hi there, just happened to see your lovely blog. So inspired! Small problem... I dun hv weighing scale, how do I measure the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ladybird,
      Sorry that I missed reading your comment. I was just back from hospital at that time. You can use this link for weight conversion.
      http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

      Delete
  15. Hi thanks for sharing the recipe. Im using the same rice cooker. Can I ask if u had any problem with the overflowing liquid from the steam vent when cooking rice? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls leave your name or nickname for easier identification. I don't answer anon. qns.

      Delete
  16. Hi ms b..im jen ere..happy that i abke to search the rice cooker baking recipe ere...im using the toshiba bigger version which come with baking function...so i can select the baking function ? Have any idea how long is the duration for the baking function?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,
      Yes, you can use baking function. Not sure how long it would take, this cake would take about 1 hr 10 min for 5.5 cup Toshiba, so for a bigger Toshiba with baking function, may take anything from 45 to 1 hour, you would have to observe and judge for yourself. But the cake would be very flat if yours is a 10 cup.
      You may open the lid > 1 time and use a toothpick to check if it's done, it wont collapse since its not chiffon cake. But I know the cake is more or less cooked when I can smell the cake aroma, so you can let it finish the baking cycle once you smell something.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails