Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Matcha Green Tea Pound Cake


This is the last of the 4 pound cakes I baked for the prayer weekend last Sunday, the other 3 being two Condensed Milk Pound Cake and one Nigella Maderia Cake. Out of the 4 cakes, this is my absolute favourite and it was also very well-received by the folks at the prayer weekend who had probably never tasted a green cake before! Many of them had asked me what the green cake was, and they were all very eager to try it out when I said that it was made of green tea powder. Luckily the cake didn't let me down. :)

This cake was very moist and flavourful and the scent and taste of the matcha green tea powder was evident but not too overpowering. It was a nice refreshing taste, definitely one good recipe to wow your guests!

Recipe adapted from Food.com

Ingredients
2 big eggs
125g plain flour (1 cup)
150g sugar (2/3 cup)
112g butter (1/2 cup)
1 tbsp matcha green tea powder for baking *
1/2 tsp baking powder

* I bought my green tea powder from a baking store in Singapore.

Method 

1. Sift the flour, baking powder and matcha green tea powder together. Preheat the oven at 170 degrees celsius.

2. Using a cake-mixer, cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.

3. Gradually add beaten eggs and mix well.

4. Add the sifted flour mixture in 3 additions. Use a spatula to fold in the flour swiftly and thoroughly.

5. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 170C (or 340F) for 50 min. (Original recipe stated 30-40 min but I found the cake still too wet after 40 min, so I extended the baking time by another 10 min).

15 comments:

  1. Like the lovely greenish colour of your cake. Some green tea powder might not produce such great result and yours looks really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Zoe. I used the RED MAN Bakeable Green Tea Powder from Phoon Huat.

    This recipe was really easy, I feel like baking it again this week cos I only ate 1 piece the last time. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big are your big eggs? The eggs are all pretty small here in Singapore so what would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anonymous,

    I didnt specially use big eggs for this cake, although the recipe asked for big ones. I remember the dozen of eggs I bought from my supermart were quite average in size, even a bit smallish. So no worries, u can use average-sized eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of this Matcha Pound Cake :)
    My Aunt gave me a can of fine powdered Japanese Green Tea so I am keen to try out Green Tea recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Plumleaf, great to see you back.
    I dropped you a message on your blog but it bounced back due to full mailbox. :p
    You can try this green tea pound cake in the oven or if you have a ricecooker, try my green tea ricecooker cake, it uses the recipe except that you have to cook it in ricecooker for 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really lovely! I made some green tea muffins last night and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my name is Sarah, its nice to see those delicious matcha cakes!
    i'm a beginner at baking cakes, i wanna know if i can mix the cream butter and sugar without using a cake mixer? thank you:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,
      Yes, I think you can. The butter must be at room temperature and already soft, and you should use a metal spoon to cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy. Watch this video for some tips on how to do it :
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZF8W9f12a0

      Delete
  9. Can I use grapeseed oil or vegetable oil instead of butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy,
      I am afraid you can't completely swap butter for vegetable oil because this is creaming method - creaming butter with sugar, and then adding eggs. Oil cannot be beaten to incorporate air into the batter and the result will be dense and greasy. You would have to rely on chemical leavening agents (baking powder/baking soda) or physical leavening from whipping air into the batter (via beating of egg whites).

      Delete
  10. I used 130g sugar and add a huge spoonful of sweeten red bean.. End result too sweet....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi can i know what size is your loaf pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure whether I can still find that loaf pan, may have chucked it in the bin. It is a very small loaf pan.

      Delete
    2. Hmmn so should be like that type from Daiso. Mini loaf pan.

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails