Monday, October 8, 2012

Coffee-Flavoured Condensed Milk Pound Cake

Hi Hi,

It's me again, back after a long hiatus of more than 2 months. I was too busy and lazy to update this blog of mine. There were a few new cakes which I attempted, such as green tea chiffon cake and coffee chiffon cake, but I didn't find them fantastic enough to blog about them. It was only until last Saturday evening that I began my baking frenzy again (and used up 500 grams of butter to bake 4 loaf cakes in total) that I decided I have to quickly jot it down in my blog lest I forget the recipes again. :)

I decided to roll up my sleeves to bake some cakes after a friend had sent an email to request for some tea-time desserts for last Sunday's prayer weekend. So I took it upon myself to offer my humble services and at the same time, try out a few new cakes, which I would otherwise not be able to experiment, without having to finish the cakes all by myself. I hope the folks from the prayer weekend won't regard themselves as my guinea pigs. :)

Actually my original intention was to make the famous no-bake refrigerator cake called Kek Batik but I didn't fancy the thought of stirring the cake batter in a pot continuously for 20 minutes. Then I happened to come across this recipe which also used condensed milk, so I changed my mind and decided to try this recipe instead. I don't know where is the exact source of the original recipe, but I have seen it here and here. The idea of the coffee flavour was inspired by the 2nd link. In order to use up the whole can of condensed milk, I made 2 versions of this condensed milk pound cake, a plain vanilla one and a coffee flavoured one, but I much prefer the coffee flavoured version over the plain vanilla version.

Now it's time to share the fruits of my labour. Sorry, but the 2 condensed milk pound cakes, together with a madeira cake from Nigella and another green tea pound cake, were snapped up very quickly, and I only managed to take one or two pictures of all my cakes under sub-optimal lighting before serving them to some very hungry folks at the prayer weekend. :)

Coffee-flavoured Condensed Milk Pound Cake

Ingredients
120g unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
40g sugar (instead of 45g sugar)
1/2 cup or 150g condensed milk *
1 tsp vanilla essence (instead of 1.5 tsp)
105g plain flour + 1 tbsp corn flour * (instead of 120g cake flour)
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 big eggs

1 tbsp instant coffee + 1 tbsp hot water

Notes:
* I used Longevity brand condensed milk 寿星公炼奶 which I bought in Antwerp Chinatown, but is surprisingly manufactured in Holland and not imported from Asia. The Longevity brand of condensed milk is actually manufactured by a Dutch company called FrieslandCampina which markets and produces the famous Dutch Lady brand of dairy products in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. Condensed milk is also available in a tube (like a toothpaste) under the brand of Nestle in most supermarkets here in Belgium.

* I used plain flour instead of cake flour for this cake. Just use the same amount 120g of plain flour, spoon out 1 tbsp (1 tbsp = 14.25g) and replace it with 1 tbsp of corn flour. You may also use 120g plain flour, I don't think it will make a difference here as this is not a chiffon cake where it is absolutely necessary to use cake flour.

Method
1. Sift the flour and baking powder together. Preheat the oven at 175 degrees celsius.

2. Using a cake-mixer, cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.

3. Add in salt and vanilla essence and mix well. Salt can be omitted if you are using salted butter.

4. Pour in condensed milk and mix well.

5. Using the cake-mixer (lowest speed), add in the sifted flour in 3 additions and mix it for a few seconds. (You may also use a hand-whisk or spatula at this juncture but you must make sure that the batter is smooth and well-combined.)

6. Add in eggs one at a time and mix well.

7. For a coffee flavoured pound cake, dissolve 1 tbsp instant coffee with 1 tbsp hot water, add it to the batter and mix well.

8. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 175C or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails